Explore & discover

Helpful Links

How Do I Program Genie Remote Without a Genie?

Highlighted

How Do I Program Genie Remote Without a Genie?

I recently moved and lost my remotes to my 3 H24 receivers. All the installer had was these new genie junk remotes. He did not know how to program them to control the TV power/volume without a stupid Genie present and I'm not finding any instructions online on how to program them. Does anyone know how to program the genie remote to control the TV volume/power without a genie to program it with? If not can DirecTV send me some new remotes for free? The website is showing $25 each and I need 3 of them (RF models as the receivers are "supposed" to be behind the wall mounted TV's for a clean look, have them hanging below them right now so the genie remote IR works)

I've been a customer since the USSB says in the late 90's and have only witnessed DirecTV go downhill since the AT&T takeover. I can't even get DVR service without paying $200 each for HD-DVR's on top of the nearly $180 we pay a month because I do not want the genie junk. With the current economy I am spending more and more hours at work and miss just about everything I'd want to watch not having a DVR. I'm basic throwing away $180 a month to watch morning news at this point.

Message 1 of 12
ACE - Expert

Re: How Do I Program Genie Remote Without a Genie?

For RF you have to get RC6XR remotes, the RC7X remotes will not work in RF with the H24 receivers. You can get them online cheaper.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 12

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO PROGRAM A GENIE REMOTE TO CONTROL TV POWER/VOLUME WITHOUT A GENIE TO PROGRAM IT WITH?

Message 3 of 12
ACE - Expert

@BigDish101 wrote:

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO PROGRAM A GENIE REMOTE TO CONTROL TV POWER/VOLUME WITHOUT A GENIE TO PROGRAM IT WITH?

Nope.  Genie remotes (RC7x) are not designed to be programmed with older equipment (H2x, HR2x).  Get RC6x remotes. They're cheap on Amazon.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 12

Are you saying they can not be programmed manually via the buttons either? If not I guess I might as well throw them away. 

Actually I just remembered. I stayed in a hotel that had these new remotes with commercial H25 receivers and the remote did work for the TV volume and power. So either they have a Genie in the building somewhere to program them with OR there really is a way to manually program them...

Message 5 of 12
Teacher

What brand TV is it. You will need the manual codes which I have Smiley Happy and as far as every one saying it's not compatible they are wrong they work just fine.

Message 6 of 12
Teacher

Wrong. 

Message 7 of 12

Samsung.

Message 8 of 12
Teacher

Hold mute+select until the green light blinks twice, press 1 ( give slight pause green light should blink twice again) then enter 2051

Message 9 of 12
Teacher

Did that work for you?

Message 10 of 12
Contributor

If you have the basic protection plan on the account call dtv for u to get free remote control. If u dont have that its $25 a piece. You should get rc66rx remote its compatible with (H2x, HR2x) for it to be programmed to tv and receiver functions.

Message 11 of 12
ACE - Expert

@beywithyou12 wrote:

If you have the basic protection plan on the account call dtv for u to get free remote control. If u dont have that its $25 a piece. You should get rc66rx remote its compatible with (H2x, HR2x) for it to be programmed to tv and receiver functions.

Much cheaper on Amazon.

Message 12 of 12
Share this topic
Share this topic
Learn to set up & use your remote control. View DIRECTV Remote Control Help!
Additional Support