Having trouble with your DIRECTV remote?

Community Support

Having trouble with your DIRECTV remote?

remote troubleshoot.jpg

Not to worry! Below are a few things you can do to restore functionality and get back to enjoying your DIRECTV service!

Before you begin troubleshoot your remote, know this. The remote uses light to send the signal to the receiver. If anything is blocking the receiver, this can effect functionality of the remote. Even  tempered glass in some entertainment centers can interfere with the signal.  We recommend having the receiver placed in an area that is free and clear of obstructions. 

Also, turning the brightness down on the TV can resolve most signal issues. Remember, the remote uses a “light signal!”

Slide1.JPG  

The easiest way to fix your remote is by pressing and holding the Mute and Enter button until you see “Applying IR/ RF setup” appear on the screen.

Slide2.JPG 

Sometimes  resetting the receiver restores remote functions. Near the access card is a red reset button, press and hold that until the receiver restarts.

Slide3.JPG 

Sometimes batteries lose their charge. Before you change them, test them. Press and hold any button on your remote. If you see a solid green light, this means the batteries are strong. If the light is blinking quickly, the batteries are still good but may need to be replaced down the road. If it blinks slowly or not at all, the batteries will need to be replaced.

If all of the above does not restore remote functionality, it may be time to replace it. Chat with our support teams by clicking here

Slide4.JPG   

If the remote controls only your DIRECTV receiver but not your TV, you can program your remote by:

• Pressing  Menu. Go to Settings and Help >> Settings  >> Remote Control >> Program Remote >>TV.

Select the brand of your TV. From there, you will be prompted with step by step instructions to program your remote. For additional help with programming your DIRECTV Remote use this online tool.

If you are waiting for a remote to arrive, you can use the DIRECTV App to control your receiver. Click here to learn more!

Need more help?

Visit our Help Center, for answers to your questions and to troubleshoot issues with our step-by-step guides. For more assistance, send a brief message to ATTDIRECTVCare . Be sure to include your account number, name, and contact number.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 1 of 17
Community Support

Re: Having trouble with your DIRECTV remote?

If the above does not help resolve your remote issues, chat with our teams by clicking here, you may need a new remote!

-ATTDIRECTVCare

Need more help?

Visit our Help Center, for answers to your questions and to troubleshoot issues with our step-by-step guides. For more assistance, send a brief message to ATTDIRECTVCare . Be sure to include your account number, name, and contact number.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 17
Contributor

Have an RC72 remote that cannot sync up with my new Samsung TV.  When going to the Program Remote page on the Directv controller it recognizes that I have a Samsung TV, but cannot program the remote.

Message 3 of 17
Contributor

I have a DIRECTV universal remote that I cannot get programmed to my Samsung HW-F355 soundbar. Help

Message 4 of 17
ACE - Expert

@WB1234, what model remote control?  What model DVR/Receiver?

Start with the tips here ....

https://forums.att.com/t5/Remote-Controls/Program-your-DIRECTV-remote-control/m-p/4291887#M1

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 17
Tutor

I got the newest Direct TV DVR with the peanut shaped remote RC73 shipped to me. All went well with programming the remote tell it came to programming the remote to my Onkyo TX-NR807 Audio  Receiver. I scrolled through the codes tell finally hit the one that turned on the Onkyo Audio Receiver and hit worked. It must have paired because I can adjust the volume up or down with the remote and even mute,but it will not turn the Onkyo receiver on or off, yet it did with the  initial set up. 

Does anyone know the answer. 

Thanks,

Message 6 of 17
Employee

The Genie remotes (RC71, RC72, RC73) will not operate the on/off for an a/v receiver. If it has in the past, then great, but it was never designed to operate the off/on for a/v receiver. 

Employee Contributor*
Message 7 of 17
Tutor

Thank you, but why, especially when in order to show that it's the right code it turns the receiver on?
It's a pain to have to use another remote or get up and manually turn it on or off.
Message 8 of 17
Employee

Honestly, I don't know exactly why. May be hardware limitations or maybe they didn't feel it was that important to implement that feature. 

Employee Contributor*
Message 9 of 17
Employee

You could always look for another universal remote that may work for the off/on. My father has a logitec remote that operates most functions on his tv, a/v receiver, and xbox. It's a bit pricy but may be the right direction for you. 

Employee Contributor*
Message 10 of 17
Mentor

for some reason, my remote will no longer "reset" or program devices.... (eg. code transmission failed listed on popup window).  Is there a way to resolve this?

Message 11 of 17
Community Support

Hello @rickalo,

We're sorry for your inconvenience with the remote.  If the troubleshooting steps in the above article do not help, please chat with us here so we can further assist you.

Thanks.

-ATTDIRECTVCare 

Need more help?

Employee Contributor*
Message 12 of 17
Contributor

Got it thank you so much
Message 13 of 17
Highlighted
Tutor

Hello everyone, I am new to DirectTV, but being a retired electronic technician, I've had experiences

over the years and I may possibly be able to resolve an issue or two. I just wanted to add, when programming

remotes, especially universal remotes, sometimes most people stop at the very first 'code' that seems to

work. However occasionally, that code will only operate one or two functions on the unit, (TV, sound bar, audio receiver).  

I have found if you bypass that first code and go on to the next code, or search for the next code, that seems to operate the

unit, it will be the one that operates all the functions rather than just one or two buttons. I have experienced in the past

that some codes only partially operate some units and not all of the functions. 

I hope this is not too confusing and helps someone.

Thanks, 

Matman

Message 14 of 17
Contributor

mini remote control is linking to the genie dvr instead

the remote control for the mini keeps linking to genie dvr instead of the tv in spare bedroom.

Message 15 of 17
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Need immediate assistance with your bill or technical issue? Don’t wait, Click here to chat with us. You can also check out some helpful articles below!

Additional Support