Explore & discover

Helpful Links

HR24 to HDMI splitter - Copy protection?

Contributor

HR24 to HDMI splitter - Copy protection?

So something odd happened this evening for the first time.  I have an HR24 in our master bedroom and have HDMI coming off of this to an HDMI splitter behind our TV.

From there, the split goes two ways:  one to the flat-screen in the master bedroom, and the other to the small TV in the bathroom.

I should state that to-date, this has worked flawlessly.  We could watch both TVs at the same time and the output from the HR24 was mirrored on both displays without issue.

As of tonight, however, we seem to only be able to get the TV in the bathroom to work.  Initially I thought it was the splitter so I went out and purchased a new one by Rocketfish from Best Buy and hooked it up hoping that it would work.  Same issue -- TV in the bedroom displays only a black screen; TV in the bathroom works flawlessly.

So, as odd as it sounds, I thought perhaps the HDMI cable I was using went bad, so I headed back over to Best Buy and purchased a 4' Monster HDMI cable.  Now, if I am using the new Rocketfish splitter, with the new HDMI cable, the TV in the bathroom continues to work flawlessly, however the TV in the bedroom now gives me a "Your TV does not support this program's content protection" error message.

So, reverting back to the old splitter with the new HDMI cable, again, bathroom TV works great; bedroom TV is in all-black screen.

I'm at a loss here.  I've done a bit of reading about HDCP but it sounds like this has been around for awhile -- why is this just affecting me tonight?  Is there any way to mirror the HDMI output from the HR24 to both of my TVs ?  Everything has been working great and this is going to be extremely inconvenient if it no longer works for some reason.

Thoughts?

-Stuart

Message 1 of 7
ACE - Expert

Re: HR24 to HDMI splitter - Copy protection?

What brand/model HDMI splitters have you tried?   You'll most likely need an active (powered) HDMI Splitter that fully supports HDCP copy protection.   Hard to say why the behavior changed, though.  I trust you've tried resetting the DVR (red button behind front panel access card door)?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 7
Expert

I would first remove the splitter from the equation and connect the bedroom TV directly to the HR24 to assure that the system is working correctly as designed.  It's possible that the malfunction has nothing to do with the splitter or the HDMI cable.  You need to rule that out first.  By the way, I find it unnecessary to spend the big bucks on premium priced cables, I buy mine from Monoprice.

6ft 28AWG High Speed HDMI® Cable w/Ferrite Cores - Green - Monoprice.com

Message 3 of 7
Contributor

I've tried that.  If I connect the HR24 directly to the TV without a splitter it works fine.  I have two splitters.  The old one was a "no name" brand (powered) and the new one is a Rocketfish -- http://amzn.com/B004HVGTA8

Regarding the cables, yes, I know. The monster cable I bought was only $30 but I realize it is still much more than other brands.

Software rev on the HR24 is 0x740 - Thu 10/24, 3:35am

Here is an update, however:  If I switch the HR24 to channel "2" (local channel), the picture comes back on in the bedroom and all functions normally.  It's only when I switch to one of the 500+ channels that the picture blanks.  So, clearly a copy protection issue.

Message 4 of 7
ACE - Expert

Nice troubleshooting. You've verified that the HDMI splitter is not properly processing HDCP copy protection.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 7
Highlighted
Contributor

I had same problem... after everything you tried.. I switched the bedroom tv to composite cables.. problem solved.. 

Message 6 of 7
ACE - Expert

@Scotth124 wrote:

I had same problem... after everything you tried.. I switched the bedroom tv to composite cables.. problem solved.. 

You're responding to a five year old thread.

Just to be clear, while Composite Video connection will get around the copy protection issue, you will not get HiDef video that way. Component Video, not Composite Video, would provide HiDef. 

Message 7 of 7
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support