Explore & discover

Helpful Links

HR 54 Audio output

Highlighted
Tutor

HR 54 Audio output

I currently have an HR 34 DVR which has both digital and analog audio outputs. In my system Zone 1 uses the digital audio output from the HDMI cable, but Zone 2 uses the analog output because my pre-amp requires it. The HR 34 has RCA analog audio outputs. I want to upgrade to the HR 54 which does not have analog audio output, only digital via Toslink or coaxial. So I will need to buy a digital to audio converter to get audio to my Zone 2. However, there are different converters such as converters that decode 2 channel stereo or converters that can decode 5.1 or 7.1 Dolby. What is the digital audio output of the Toslink and coaxial jacks? Are there multiple HR54 models (550?, 700?) and do they have the same digital audio outputs?

Message 1 of 17
ACE - Expert

Re: HR 54 Audio output

You can get a Composite or Component Video "dongle cable" that will provide analog audio outputs from your HR54's AV OUT jack ....

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=10pincompos

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=H2510PIN

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 17
ACE - Master

you can get a converter for toslink to analog

https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Optical-Analog-audio-converter/dp/B004C4WPXA

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 17
Tutor

If I use the AV out for my analog audio, will it still sent the both audio and video via the HDMI simultaneously? That is what provides video to both Zones and audio to Zone 1

Message 4 of 17
ACE - Expert

Yes.  Provided that the HDMI connection "live" and satisfies the HDCP copy protection signal.  Othewise the video will blank.  But audio should continue regardless. 

Message 5 of 17
Tutor

Currently with my HR34, the analog stereo audio out works concurrently with HDMI. If I use the analog AV , will that invoke an HDCP problem since the DVR may sense two video outputs? This seems easier than using a DAC? If I use a DAC, is the digital audio output stereo or multichannel Dolby. Thanks for all your help.
Message 6 of 17
Expert

If you turn the HDMI conencted TV off, you wont get neither audio or video via the AV out.  You must remove HDMI cable or leave the TV on

Message 7 of 17
Tutor

Then it won't work. The HDMI sends the video to both Zone 1 and Zone 2. The audio is sourced separately - digital via HDMI to Zone 1 and Analog stereo to Zone 2. This is true for all of my inputs to my Integra pre- amp: HR34, Oppo BluRay, a computer
Message 8 of 17
ACE - Expert

You can use an active HDMI Switch connected to the DirecTV DVR so that the HDCP signal is always "on".   

Message 9 of 17
Tutor

I am not sure what that is. Can't I just use s DAC? What would I need to decode? Dolby or 2 channel?
Message 10 of 17
ACE - Expert

I think you'll have the same issue with a digital audio converter as you would have using the analog dongle cable.  

Message 11 of 17
Tutor

what goes in and out of the HDMI switch
Message 12 of 17
Expert

HDMI from receiver to switch out of switch to AVR

Message 13 of 17
Tutor

DVR to switch to preAmp? The switch then renders the HDCP useless. Is this correct? If so, this is a very stupid protocol which inconveniences consumers and does not protect content creators.
Message 14 of 17
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by mawns
‎08-02-2016 3:43 AM

It doesn't render HDCP useless as much as it simply keeps the HDMI circuit "alive" so that the HDCP is properly satisfied.   You're not actually switching anything if you do this for your configuration.   

Tags (1)
Message 15 of 17
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support