Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Equipment update by April 2019

Equipment update by April 2019

I given two completely different answers to the following.

I was told by 3/4Technical support people I spoke to at length who also said they had tested my old (installed in 2007) round dish that it is compatible with HD and that all I need for the future is to ask Directv for an HD receiver to receiver all the channels I now receive as well as all local channels.

Yesterday or the day before, a Legacy person told me I had been given mis-information, and that my old dish is not HD compatible.

I have since read that the new slim-line dish is not nearly as strong, sturdy as the older dish. 

Please reply. 

Message 1 of 19
ACE - Master

Re: Equipment update by April 2019

round dish is not hd

you need a new dish

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 19
ACE - Expert

DirecTV should provide you with an HD-compatible satellite dish when they swap your old SD equipment for newer HD equipment. 

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 19
ACE - Expert

@Confused91 

The old round dish is MPEG-2 (SD only), so it is incapable of HD. Also the last of the MPEG-2 feeds start shutting down April 2019. At which point you will need MPEG-4 (SD and HD capable) equipment to use the service at all. Definitely the time to check equipment options.

To fully prepare, what are the models of each box you have now?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
Message 4 of 19

Receiver I have is D12-100 which I was told did not work with HD so must be replaced with an HD receiver. I don't know the model on the dish but some technicians said that the round dish I have is compatible with HD. All they said was that I only need HD.

The unbelievable wide differences of opinions of technicians is staggering.

I have a Sony Wega which has an excellent picture and very fine sound. Eventually I will need a new tv, but not now.
Message 5 of 19
ACE - Expert

@Confused91 wrote:
Receiver I have is D12-100 which I was told did not work with HD so must be replaced with an HD receiver. I don't know the model on the dish but some technicians said that the round dish I have is compatible with HD. All they said was that I only need HD.

The unbelievable wide differences of opinions of technicians is staggering.

I have a Sony Wega which has an excellent picture and very fine sound. Eventually I will need a new tv, but not now.

Some of the reps are clueless.

You WILL need your dish to be replaced with an HD Slimline model.  

Message 6 of 19

I hope you understand how incredibly difficult it is to struggle with the widely difference of opinions technicians I've spoken with have given me.

Message 7 of 19
ACE - Expert

@Confused91 wrote:
I hope you understand how incredibly difficult it is to struggle with the widely difference of opinions technicians I've spoken with have given me.

Agreed.  It's sad that DirecTV's own support reps don't know what they're talking about.

Message 8 of 19

I'm almost coming to terms with the new dish but do have a bitter taste because of what has unfortunately felt like a run-around, I'm sorry to say.
Message 9 of 19

Thank you.
Message 10 of 19
ACE - Expert

@Confused91 

Too many agents from the AT&T side are not well informed on the differences between old and new equipment.

The old round dish is not MPEG-4 capable so must be replaced. The D12 is the last MPEG-2 made so needs to be replaced as well.

Upgrading to HD will add $10 to your monthly bill. You will get a new Slimline dish and most likely model H25 (if you are not upgrading to a HDDVR or Genie setup).

Message 11 of 19

The order is for Slim-line and genie. Am assuming that my Sony Wega TV an older tv, as you've probably read, is ok, I hope. Pix is excellent and sound quite quite good.
Many thanks .
Message 12 of 19
ACE - Expert

If the order is for a Genie (HR34, HR44, HR54), or the new but not recommended Genie-2 (HS17), in addition to the $10 HD you will also have $10 DVR and $3 Whole Home DVR.

If the order is for the Genie Lite (H44), which has been mentioned to still be available, this would be for HD service only unless you choose to get the DVR upgrade kit at which point the other 2 services get added on.

No Genie has Autotune as the DVR feature replaces it. This includes the Genie Lite even without the DVR kit as it is still built with 5 tuners intended for recording, not allocated to the Autotune feature.

Read the order confirmation that is emailed to verify type of Genie setup (Genie, Genie-2, or Genie Lite), including new monthly services, and of course the 24 month agreement for the upgrade.

If that old TV is not HD, then the tech will connect by old style cables. In that case ask if the tech would leave you an HDMI cord for when you replace the TV. You would also need to change a couple settings on the box (Resolution, unhide HD channels) so that it would look correct on an HD TV.

Message 13 of 19
Contributor

My d12-100 receivers have stopped working. They went from 99 and 100 signal strength to zero. Swapped lnb, all troubleshooting. Directv claims it’s not a receiver problem but their replacing both  receivers and round dish. They have evidently already started shutting down. Anyone else with that problem?

Message 14 of 19
ACE - Expert

@Nportal wrote:

My d12-100 receivers have stopped working. They went from 99 and 100 signal strength to zero. Swapped lnb, all troubleshooting. Directv claims it’s not a receiver problem but their replacing both  receivers and round dish. They have evidently already started shutting down. Anyone else with that problem?

D12 are MPEG-2 (SD only). Those feeds DirecTV are starting to shutdown next month (though some have received notices about it starting this month). As such all of us going forward will need MPEG-4 (SD and HD capable) boxes and receiving dishes.

If D12 is all you have, then you should receive H24 or H25 MPEG swap, which includes new receiving dish. No service agreement renewal.

Alternatively a Genie upgrade with Mini Genie Clients (can have HDDVRs instead of Clients at your choice) to get new services with a 24 month service agreement. $10 HD, $10 DVR, $3 Whole Home DVR would be added to the monthly bill assuming you don't already have boxes besides the D12s that would use those.

Whether you do the complimentary MPEG swap or the optional upgrade, read the order confirmation to ensure all is as expected. Do not get the Genie-2 (HS17) as restrictive by design, and bugs not fully squashed.

Message 15 of 19
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support