Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Do I need a Cinema Connection Kit to have the Genie 2 installed

Highlighted
Tutor

Do I need a Cinema Connection Kit to have the Genie 2 installed

My TV is not currently connected to the internet. I do have a wireless router set-up, and had made an appointment to have the Connection Kit installed prior to finding out I was eligible for the Genie 2 upgrade. Do I still need to have the Connection Kit installed? Thank you.

Message 1 of 10
ACE - Professor
Solution
Accepted by ACE - Expert (ACE - Expert)
Accepted by litzdog911
‎12-05-2017 9:22 AM

Re: Do I need a Cinema Connection Kit to have the Genie 2 installed

Genie 2 can connect to your Local Network -Wired or wireless -The Connection Kit is no loner required to make that possible in a Genie install

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 10
Tutor

Thank you for your quick response!

Message 3 of 10
ACE - Professor

Your welcome - and Good Viewing 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 10
ACE - Expert

Do NOT upgrade to the Genie-2. It is a downgrade from the regular Genie line and has some post launch bugs still being worked out. The regular Genies that are available have the CCK built in, just like the Genie-2, so you can connect to your home internet by WiFi to access On Demand.

What are the exact models of boxes you have now? Want to make sure you get the upgrade that is best for you personally.

Message 5 of 10
Tutor

My current Genie is HR34-700

Message 6 of 10
ACE - Professor

No you Still DO not need a CC Kit for the HR34 either.  If you are changing out the 34 for a HS17 -Then all your other Older Receivers will be taken out and replaced with Clients -(REASON) the Genie 2 can only be used with Clients- If that's is NOT a problem for you -then do it 

Message 7 of 10
ACE - Expert

Hmm, so you have the 1st gen Genie HR34. I still wouldn't replace with the Genie-2 (HS17). However the HR34 has the slower processor and bulkier design with heating concerns. That model has been discontinued since the 2nd and 3rd gens came out (HR44 and HR54). Since HR54 is only guaranteed for a specific 4K upgrade situation, you would most likely get an HR44 as a warranty replacement if/when you have issues with your Genie. And unlike the Genie-2, all regular Genies work with regular HDDVRs on other TVs.

CCK is only if you want to connect it to your router by WiFi. Otherwise you can run a direct Ethernet cable, or have Directv install a Deca which connects from coax to your router. The HR44/HR54 models have the wireless CCK built in.

Message 8 of 10
Contributor

Can I can connect to my home internet not using WiFi? Wire connect (cable/Ethernet cord)?

Message 9 of 10
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by verbena
‎03-16-2019 1:49 PM

Yes, the Genie can use an Ethernet cable.

Tags (1)
Message 10 of 10
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support