Explore & discover

Helpful Links

DirectTV Receiver/SeaTel on my boat, no SWM

Highlighted
Contributor

DirectTV Receiver/SeaTel on my boat, no SWM

Just had a new Genie delivered and hooked it up to my SeaTel Satellite dish on my boat. The satellite is locked in on 101, but the receiver says no SWM detected and I cant get past this screen in setup. Any suggestions on what to try? FYI, the former owner used DirectTV and didnt have an issue. Unfortunately, I dont have his old receiver. 

Message 1 of 8
Contributor

Re: DirectTV Receiver/SeaTel on my boat, no SWM

Someone please help me fix this problem. Very frustrating and Tech Support no help 

Message 2 of 8
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by ACE - Expert (ACE - Expert)
Accepted by litzdog911
‎05-17-2019 10:26 PM

@FrankScar wrote:

Just had a new Genie delivered and hooked it up to my SeaTel Satellite dish on my boat. The satellite is locked in on 101, but the receiver says no SWM detected and I cant get past this screen in setup. Any suggestions on what to try? FYI, the former owner used DirectTV and didnt have an issue. Unfortunately, I dont have his old receiver. 

Sorry, but newer DirecTV equipment, like your Genie DVR, will not work with that dish. You must have a newer Single Wire Multiswitch (SWM) dish, like the DirecTV Slimline or Winegard Trav'ler.  In fact, older non-HiDef equipment is being obsoleted, so that dish would have to be replaced regardless of what equipment you have. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 3 of 8
ACE - Expert

The only HD SWM dish for boats that I know of is the Intellian s6HD at around $8,000.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 8
ACE - Expert

Where did you get the Genie? They are supposed to be installed by a tech and DirecTV won't install on boats unless they are in a fixed location.

Message 5 of 8
Contributor

Yes, boat is in a fixed location. I wasnt home when the installer came. He hooked it up and left. When I got home, I turned it on and got the no SWM detected message. 

Message 6 of 8
ACE - Expert

So why did you get a Genie DVR? Was this part of DirecTV's swap for older soon-to-be obsolete equipment? If so, your dish should have been upgraded, too, to a Slimline HD dish. Bottom line is that your existing dish is not compatible with the new Genie equipment. 

Message 7 of 8
ACE - Expert

Since it will never work and there was no one home to authorize the install the tech won't get payed so why did they do it?  You will need DTV back to replace the dish.

Message 8 of 8
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support