Explore & discover

Helpful Links

DirecTV & Metered or Satellite Internet Connections

Teacher

DirecTV & Metered or Satellite Internet Connections

I'm on satellite internet (10GB/mo limit) and need to keep program content from being accidently uploaded over the internet.  My internet plan allows unlimited access between the hours of 12midnight and 5 am.  Access from 5 am to midnight is metered.

Problems:

1. On a number of occasions, the DVR and the Recordings Series Manager has selected content that downloads via the internet and has wiped out all my remaining internet usage for the month.

2. DirecTV equipment does not provide the necessary controls that allow the customer to selectively restrict access to the internet (DirecTV Media Share Renderer).

3. DirecTV installers and tech support have not been able to provide a solution.

Solution Found by Customer:

1. Use router that has parental controls.

2. Turn on Parental Controls and block access of DirecTV Media Share Rederer at Specific Times (5 am to 12 am midnight).

3. For example, see:

http://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=143694

Please provide this solution to DirecTV installers and Tech Support personnel so that customers with metered internet service may have some idea how they may restrict internet access by the DVR and avert unwanted internet outages and/or charges for additional data.

Message 1 of 9
Teacher
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by pragmaticron
‎02-04-2017 12:09 PM

Re: DirecTV & Metered or Satellite Internet Connections

DirecTV Sample Router Settings for Metered Internet Connections:

Slide1.JPGSlide2.JPG

Tags (1)
Message 2 of 9
ACE - Expert

We never recommend connecting DTV to the internet to people that have data caps.  DTV will work without it of course you will not get On Demand or start from the beginning or paying for PPV with the remote.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 9
Teacher

DirecTV requires either a telephone connection or internet connect.  However, DirecTV is not compatible with wireless home phones.  The calls made by the DVR will only connect when routed through a land-line telephone exchange.

Because of where I live, land-line service is of poor quality (very noisy with nearest tie-in 3-1/2 miles away) and there is no cable service option available.  This leaves me with no other choice but to go wireless for home telephone service and to use satellite (metered) for internet service.

What this means in my case is that to have a functioning DirecTV system, an internet connection is required.  Due to the fact that satellite internet service is metered, this means that DVR access has to be controlled in a way that minimizes the chance of exceding monthly or daily limits.

Message 4 of 9
ACE - Expert

You do not need either anymore.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 9
Teacher

Shannon02

Thank you for your latest reply.  I'm not trying to compete with you on this issue but DirecTV has maintained that the DVR requires either a land-line telephone or an internet connection.  I don't know if this for ensuring continuing satellite TV service or not but it appears to have an impact on ordering DirecTV Cinema movies that are from the satellite feed.  I also understand that I can order these by going online to the DirecTV website or by sending a text message.  However, I find this process to be more burdensome than I care for and another member of my family doesn't have or desire to have the website or text skills to pursue these options.  That's why I'm still leaning towards the option of using parental controls on a router that prohibits internet connections from the DVR except during non-metered hours.

What am I missing?  Please clarify what you mean by "do not need either anymore."

Thank you, looking forward hearing from you.

Pragmaticron

Message 6 of 9
ACE - Expert

You only need the internet/phone line to pay for PPV with the remote it can be disconnected at any other time.  Yes DTV official policy is you need the internet but you don't. 

Message 7 of 9
ACE - Expert

In the old days, the phone line connection was required for installs because of PPVs or other information the receiver had to send through the landline. Now connecting to phone line and internet is optional, but highly preferred. To access On Demand and Pandora they need the internet connected. To order PPV by remote must be connected to internet or phone line as that is how it transmits the order to the account in order for it to go on the bill. And the old Caller ID feature (not being supported in newer receivers) obviously used the landline. So those particular services need them connected.

Directv comes in from satellite, through coax to the receivers, and then to the tv. In no way does this require phone line or internet just for watching tv as it is a satellite service. Only individual perks like I mentioned need the internet. So you could have you service not connected to either and still be able to watch tv. And for metered and/or satellite internet connections, it is actually reccomended against being connected because of data caps or bandwith limitations.

So whomever said you had to have phoneline or internet connected to have Directv in the first place was incorrect, possibly quoting the old setups from over 10 years ago.

Kudos on posting those options for people who still choose to use it on metered connections to minimize the impact. That will help a good many people.

Message 8 of 9
Teacher

Thank you Juniper and Shannon02.

Juniper: Kudos for the detailed reply and recognition that for some, there may be a need for DTV connection to the internet via a satellite service or another metered service.  In the U.S. I expect rural customers such as myself who have no access to DSL or Cable internet will be most frequently impacted. 

Shannon02: Thank you for hanging in there and enduring my followup questions.

Message 9 of 9
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support