Helpful Links

Connecting DIRECTV Genie to Wi-Fi and Troubleshooting

Highlighted
Community Support

Connecting DIRECTV Genie to Wi-Fi and Troubleshooting

SatTV2.png

Connect your DIRECTV Genie To Wi-Fi & Troubleshooting

If you are wondering how to hook up your receiver to the internet, not to worry, we can help! You have two options listed below. 

The Genie HD DVR (models HR44, H44 and HR54) can connect via Wi-Fi.  To confirm your receiver model, press and hold the INFO button on the remote. You will see the receiver model in the receiver line.

Wi-Fi.pngWireless TroubleshootingIf your receiver was already connected to the internet but you are having trouble, reset your modem. In some instances you have to reset the settings in the receiver: Menu>Settings & Help>Settings>Internet Setup>Advanced Setting> Reset Network. Once this is done, you will have to have to reenter the network settings. 

Connect your Genie HD DVR automatically using WPS.

(Make sure WPS is enabled on your modem or router)

1. Press MENU on your remote
  2. Go to Settings and press SELECT
  3. Select Network Setup then Connect Now (Note: If your Genie HD DVR was previously connected to your home Wi-Fi network and the connection was lost, select Restore Defaults before selecting Connect Now)
  4. Select Continue
  5. Select Push Button Setup
  6. Push the WPS button on your router. Genie will automatically detect the device. This may take a couple of minutes.
  7. You're connected!

Connect your Genie HD DVR manually.

When setting up your connection, please be aware special characters are not supported. Changing your modem Wi-Fi password to a hexadecimal password is recommend. We highly recommend using the WPS option above. 

1.  Press MENU on your remote
  2. Go to Settings and press SELECT
  3. Select Network Setup then Connect Now (Note: If your Genie HD DVR was previously connected to your home Wi-Fi network and the connection was lost, select Restore Defaults before selecting Connect Now)
  4. Select Continue
  5. Select Manual Setup
  6. Select your wireless network and select Continue
  7. Enter your wireless network password (the password field is case sensitive) and select Continue
  8. You're connected!

Please note:

When your receiver is first connected to the internet, it may take up to 24 hours to have all features/functions available (such as complete On Demand content).

If your HD DVR used to be connected to the Internet, but it isn't any longer go here to follow instructions on how to reconnect.

A minimum connection speed of 750Kbps (DSL or cable modem) is required. 2Mbps or higher is recommended.

-ATTDIRECTVCare

Need more help?

Visit our Help Center, for answers to your questions and to troubleshoot issues with our step-by-step guides. For more assistance, send a brief message to ATTCares . Be sure to include your account number, name, and contact number.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 1 of 12
Community Support

Re: Connecting DIRECTV Genie to Wi-Fi

Need help setting up your receiver to Wi-Fi? Check out the information above. 

Need more help?

Visit our Help Center, for answers to your questions and to troubleshoot issues with our step-by-step guides. For more assistance, send a brief message to ATTCares . Be sure to include your account number, name, and contact number.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 12
Contributor

Is there any way to connect to your DRV is you have forgotten to register it before leaving home?

Message 3 of 12
Contributor

That's should be "IF" you have forgotten.

Message 4 of 12
ACE - Expert

@Ajnix1, no.  You need to do that when your smart device is on the same home network as your DVR. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 12

Is better to connect via Ethernet or wifi to get the most features of the app.
Message 6 of 12
ACE - Expert

We always recommend wired when possible either with the DTV approved DECA BB or with an Ethernet cable.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7 of 12

Thanks.
Message 8 of 12
Contributor

Re: Connecting DirecTV to Internet

My name is Sara [edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.] and I'm a customer with direct tv an I'm wanting to know how can i get internet connected to my direct tv

Message 9 of 12
ACE - Expert

@Saraleeann, that's a very general question.  Hard to answer without knowing more about your equipment (model numbers), home network equipment, etc.   Did you read the earlier posts in this thread?

Message 10 of 12
Contributor

I ask about i buy this phone today but don't have hotspot i need this now
Message 11 of 12
ACE - Expert

Wasnaa wrote:
I ask about i buy this phone today but don't have hotspot i need this now

Huh?  What are you trying to do?  

@Wasnaa, Best to start your own new thread with more details about your equipment and what you're trying to do. 

Message 12 of 12
Share this topic
Announcements

Need immediate assistance with your bill or technical issue? Don’t wait, Click here to chat with us. You can also check out some helpful articles below!

Additional Support