Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Connecting DIRECTV Genie to Wi-Fi and Help

Community Support

Connecting DIRECTV Genie to Wi-Fi and Help

SatTV2.png

Connect your DIRECTV Genie To Wi-Fi & Troubleshooting

If you are wondering how to hook up your receiver to the internet, not to worry, we can help! You have two options listed below. 

The Genie HD DVR (models HR44, H44 and HR54) can connect via Wi-Fi.  To confirm your receiver model, press and hold the INFO button on the remote. You will see the receiver model in the receiver line.

Wi-Fi.pngWireless TroubleshootingIf your receiver was already connected to the internet but you are having trouble, reset your modem. In some instances you have to reset the settings in the receiver: Menu>Settings & Help>Settings>Internet Setup>Advanced Setting> Reset Network. Once this is done, you will have to have to reenter the network settings. 

Connect your Genie HD DVR automatically using WPS.

(Make sure WPS is enabled on your modem or router)

1. Press MENU on your remote
  2. Go to Settings and press SELECT
  3. Select Network Setup then Connect Now (Note: If your Genie HD DVR was previously connected to your home Wi-Fi network and the connection was lost, select Restore Defaults before selecting Connect Now)
  4. Select Continue
  5. Select Push Button Setup
  6. Push the WPS button on your router. Genie will automatically detect the device. This may take a couple of minutes.
  7. You're connected!

Connect your Genie HD DVR manually.

When setting up your connection, please be aware special characters are not supported. Changing your modem Wi-Fi password to a hexadecimal password is recommend. We highly recommend using the WPS option above. 

1.  Press MENU on your remote
  2. Go to Settings and press SELECT
  3. Select Network Setup then Connect Now (Note: If your Genie HD DVR was previously connected to your home Wi-Fi network and the connection was lost, select Restore Defaults before selecting Connect Now)
  4. Select Continue
  5. Select Manual Setup
  6. Select your wireless network and select Continue
  7. Enter your wireless network password (the password field is case sensitive) and select Continue
  8. You're connected!

Please note:

When your receiver is first connected to the internet, it may take up to 24 hours to have all features/functions available (such as complete On Demand content).

If your HD DVR used to be connected to the Internet, but it isn't any longer go here to follow instructions on how to reconnect.

A minimum connection speed of 750Kbps (DSL or cable modem) is required. 2Mbps or higher is recommended.

-ATTDIRECTVCare

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.
Follow us on: Twitter @ATTCares and @DIRECTVService

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 1 of 21
ACE - Expert

Re: Connecting DirecTV to Internet

We don't recommend connecting DTV receivers to caped/metered internet.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 16 of 21

5 ghz WiFi is just as good as an Ethernet connection in my opinion IF you have your router configured properly and setup QOS to give the HDDVR priority.

Message 17 of 21
Contributor

How do hook my internet box I tried a splinter and Wi-Fi then has no signal but when hooked to a outside cable alone it has signal but it no where near the direct t.v. box to use the Ethernet and it has wireless connection but edu say the system isn't connected 

Message 18 of 21
Contributor

I have an HR24 version of the Direct TV DVR and it's saying I need a "Connection Kit" to connect to the internet. How come I can't connect wirelessly but other models can?

Message 19 of 21
ACE - Expert

@SansSational wrote:

I have an HR24 version of the Direct TV DVR and it's saying I need a "Connection Kit" to connect to the internet. How come I can't connect wirelessly but other models can?

Because the HR24 does not have an internal WiFi network adapter.  The Wireless Cinema Connection Kit (CCK) connects to the HR24's ethernet port to provide the ability to connect to your home WiFi network.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 20 of 21
ACE - Expert

Until the HR44 came out none of the receivers had built in WiFi.

Message 21 of 21
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support