Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Camping RV help please!! SD channels ending?!

Teacher

Camping RV help please!! SD channels ending?!

I’ve read rumors online that DirecTV announced they would cease carrying all SD channels in 2019 (8 months away). My family has an RV that is constantly used for camping trips all over. My family has DirecTV at home and wants DirecTV in the RV. They do not really care if it is in SD as long as they can watch. The Winegard TRAV’LER (for RV’s) is over 50 pounds, has to be professionally installed, and it costs over $1,500. They would much prefer to use a product by King Connect called the Quest Pro. The Quest Pro is $550, so it’s much cheaper, it’s extremely lightweight, does not require professional installation, and it automatically aligns the dish wherever you set it. However, the Quest Pro can only receive signals from the 101° satellite and it states you only get SD channels. What is our best option?  Is it true that products for RV’s like the Quest Pro that only get SD channels will stop working in 8 months?  What are we supposed to do to get DirecTV in the RV?  The DirecTV app is not a viable option, because cell phone reception at several of these campgrounds is very limited at times.  Thanks.

Tags (3)
Message 1 of 48
Teacher

Re: Camping RV help please!! SD channels ending?!

They give those away. 

Message 31 of 48
Teacher

Those things cost $1500 and are permanent mounting

Message 32 of 48
Teacher

Those things sux. The last times I was out, after trying to align it for 6 hrs I threw it away. I’ll switch to dish or hotspot stream

Message 33 of 48
Teacher

The current is very very low. No chance of a fire from the coax cable, the actual SWM adapter is another store. It could get hot as can anything plugged into an outlet

Message 34 of 48
Teacher

You can take one from your house and use it in your rv

Message 35 of 48
ACE - Expert

@Tmartin59 

You can put all your responses into your post or even edit it if it hasn't been too long or too many replies. Might be easier to keep track of instead of a new post every few minutes.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 36 of 48
Voyager

Omg where are you getting your info. I'm  an advance senior doc dish agent for dish network. I spend my whole day dealing with rvs to aligning manual dishes to charter fishing boats with self tracking auto dishes. Your info you have about obselete equipment is very wrong. What may be obselete for a home install to a new cx is standard for certain dishes used for camping 

Message 37 of 48
Voyager

U

Message 38 of 48
Voyager

H

Message 39 of 48
ACE - Expert

@Jrock907 wrote:

Omg where are you getting your info. I'm  an advance senior doc dish agent for dish network. I spend my whole day dealing with rvs to aligning manual dishes to charter fishing boats with self tracking auto dishes. Your info you have about obselete equipment is very wrong. What may be obselete for a home install to a new cx is standard for certain dishes used for camping 

Not sure who you're responding to. This thread is discussing DirecTV, not Dish Network. DirecTV is ending MPEG2 broadcasts starting in April, and that will affect RV'ers with non-HiDef dishes.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 40 of 48
Scholar

i have bought dish network boxes off them and i have never had any issues. they have great customer service as well

Message 41 of 48
Teacher

I was responding to jrock907 who was asking about SD channels going away with directv. I was passing on info given to me by the manufacturer of the King Quest satellite dish. He said no worries that I would still be able to use the Quest and will be pleasantly surprised. Because of a NDA with directv he could not say more.

Message 42 of 48
ACE - Master

well he knows more than directv then

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Message 43 of 48
Teacher

AT&T is killing the MPEG II data stream that the D12’s and earlier work off of. The SD channels will still be feed off of the 101 orbital slot, so if one has a D12 or older, you will have to upgrade your box. Also, with DirecTV, it is now difficult for full timers to change addresses from one market to another, most CSR’s will tell you it can’t be done and that AT&T no longer supports RV’s. With DishNetwork, they have been saying for years that their old MPEG II boxes, non VIP receivers will be shut down as well, Hopper/Joey, Wally and all VIP models are the newer technology.
Message 44 of 48
ACE - Expert

@Jrock907 

This has nothing to do with Dish Network equipment. This is a DirecTV forum after all.

DirecTV is going to be shutting down their MPEG-2 (SD only) feeds starting April 2019. It will be rolling out so not hitting everywhere at once, but that means going forward that everyone must have DirecTV compatible MPEG-4 (SD and HD capable) equipment to use the service going forward. The big concern is many RV setups for DirecTV can only receive their MPEG-2 and so must replace their equipment. Again this has nothing to do with Dish Network.

So any D models (D12, D11, D10) and R models (R16, R15) will be unusable as they are MPEG-2, which would include their receiving dish.

The one partial exception is R22. It is an MPEG-4 box, though labeled an SDDVR. It was for areas that DirecTV already converted to MPEG-4 years ago. It only has its full function if an actual HD box (H or HR) is on the account. If someone only has R22 and no other model then the box needs to be replaced, though possible the dish might be DirecTV MPEG-4.

Since DirecTV grandfathered their SD only options in 2015 and SD TVs hadn't been made for many years, the move makes sense. They even had public info years ago that 2019 was the scheduled time to drop MPEG-2 and seems like they are on schedule.

Message 45 of 48
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support