Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Camping RV help please!! SD channels ending?!

Teacher

Camping RV help please!! SD channels ending?!

I’ve read rumors online that DirecTV announced they would cease carrying all SD channels in 2019 (8 months away). My family has an RV that is constantly used for camping trips all over. My family has DirecTV at home and wants DirecTV in the RV. They do not really care if it is in SD as long as they can watch. The Winegard TRAV’LER (for RV’s) is over 50 pounds, has to be professionally installed, and it costs over $1,500. They would much prefer to use a product by King Connect called the Quest Pro. The Quest Pro is $550, so it’s much cheaper, it’s extremely lightweight, does not require professional installation, and it automatically aligns the dish wherever you set it. However, the Quest Pro can only receive signals from the 101° satellite and it states you only get SD channels. What is our best option?  Is it true that products for RV’s like the Quest Pro that only get SD channels will stop working in 8 months?  What are we supposed to do to get DirecTV in the RV?  The DirecTV app is not a viable option, because cell phone reception at several of these campgrounds is very limited at times.  Thanks.

Tags (3)
Message 1 of 29
ACE - Master

Re: Camping RV help please!! SD channels ending?!

@gaserv wrote:

Dish does not charge more per box, they charge the same as DirecTv but start at box 2 not box 1 like DirecTV, their Advanced Receiver Fees are less as well.  DirecTV will not allow automatic portable dish manufacturers access to their KA technology broadcast that is all their HD content, the SD content that is broadcast at the 101 slot, is broadcast on KU frequencies which are the same format as all of Dish Networks sats.  This is why an auto tracking, portable dish will do HD content with Dish Network but they will not receive KA frequencies. So if the SD channels are going away on DirecTV, then RV'ers will be forced to learn how to install and align a KA/KU Slimline dish, or purchase a Winegard Traveler, which is a residential dish mounted to an automatic tracking system.  The Winegard is not portable, it is a permanently mounted to the roof which kind of dictates where you park your RV to get signal.

dish fees depend on the box you have

a 722 is $17 a month

a hopper is $15 a month

a super joey is $10 a month

a 4k joey is $7 a month

ect ect ect

hopper dvr fee is $15 a month

directv is $7 a month regardless of box

dvr fee is $10

advanced receiver fee is $10

whole home is $3

so it could be more, or it could be the same, or less.  it depends on what receivers you have

There is anything stopping a manufacturer from buying a directv lnb and making a dish for it that auto aligns.  have you contacted any? 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 16 of 29
ACE - Expert

@gaserv There are self aiming SD dishes out there, the problem is DTV is tuning off SD in April 2019 making them obsolete. There is also the Winegard Travler out there that is an HD dish for RV's that is self aiming plus there is the Intellian HD s6HD in motion dish for boats.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 17 of 29
Teacher

722 is obsolete, super joey is obsolete, Hopper fee is $15, that covers the DVR service, for new subscribers, 2 yr price lock, $5 additional receivers, starting from box 2, $10 Hopper fee, No whole home fee, no advance receiver fees, no HD programming fee. Wally's and 211's are $7 monthly.  Also the automatics that do SD Directv, will work with Dish Network, so there will be a market to sell when DirecTV kills the SD datastream, also food for thought, they will not be killing the 101 slot, the satellites in orbit in that slot are KU birds that the automatics will receive, so whatever channels will be broadcast from that slot in HD, they should be available with a H24 or HR24 or H25 with a SWM Switch.

Message 18 of 29
ACE - Expert

Those SD birds are at or near their end of life and will not be replaced although the orbits may get 4K HD birds and one would assume that dishes SD birds are in the same boat.

Message 19 of 29
ACE - Master

i dont think its the actual sd feed that direct is killing, just the mpeg2 encoding

they could broadcast the sd with mpeg4 if they chose, i think

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Message 20 of 29
ACE - Expert

That would line up more to the information coming out. All SD only boxes are MPEG-2, with the exception of the R22 as it is MPEG-4 (HD capable). As some have mentioned the free swap Directv is doing for older equipment does not charge for HD service, it sounds like they might have HD service suppressed like they used to do in certain markets when someone had to have HD capable equipment (MPEG-4) to get their locals and such (the reason for the R22's existence).

The MPEG-2 shutdown starts April 2019 so more info to come out as we get closer.

Message 21 of 29
Contributor

The best way to find anything,and perhaps assets is to look for the best in satellite, and find your best when it relates to location, and the best satellite for you. Be careful always what you put out there, and remember life is a secret. Take care of the equipment, and make sure to tell someone in writing of what you are doing at times. Know quesmestry, physics, and enjoy the outdoors finding always answers. Best to you!

Message 22 of 29
ACE - Expert

@Homefremont wrote:

The best way to find anything,and perhaps assets is to look for the best in satellite, and find your best when it relates to location, and the best satellite for you. Be careful always what you put out there, and remember life is a secret. Take care of the equipment, and make sure to tell someone in writing of what you are doing at times. Know quesmestry, physics, and enjoy the outdoors finding always answers. Best to you!

Certainly sounds like a positive statement, but the connection to Directv it attempts to convey has got me lost. "Best way to find anything is look for best in satellite..., life a secret..., tell someone in writing of what you are doing..., quesmestry…"?

Message 23 of 29
Contributor

Did you have to buy a receiver to go with portable dish? This may sound ridiculous, but I have

ni clue how this all works. We bought the dish through Amazon

Message 24 of 29
ACE - Expert

Amazon is an authorized 3rd party retailer. Any boxes from there are leased just as if you got them from Directv, meaning you return to Directv upon it being disconnected (if still a returnable model). The receiving dish on the other hand is owned. Only receiver and client boxes are leased, everything else is owned.

Some people move a box back and forth between home and the RV, while others just leave an old box in there only to reactivate on the account when they will be using it.

Message 25 of 29
ACE - Expert

Yes, you need a receiver for the dish to work.

Message 26 of 29
Mentor

We use to go through the hassle of setting up the dish. But now with unlimited free data on the phone or iPad when using the DIRECTV app that's what we do. 

Problem solved for us anyway...

Message 27 of 29
Teacher

@wdsteve Too many campgrounds have little to no cellular data coverage for us...  Plus the DirecTV app doesn't get all the channels, in particular that app does not receive the regional sports networks.

Message 28 of 29
Mentor

Yeah! I just thought I would throw that in just in case anyone hasn't thought of it. It works great the places we go which always have great wifi...

Message 29 of 29
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support