Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Camping RV help please!! SD channels ending?!

Teacher

Camping RV help please!! SD channels ending?!

I’ve read rumors online that DirecTV announced they would cease carrying all SD channels in 2019 (8 months away). My family has an RV that is constantly used for camping trips all over. My family has DirecTV at home and wants DirecTV in the RV. They do not really care if it is in SD as long as they can watch. The Winegard TRAV’LER (for RV’s) is over 50 pounds, has to be professionally installed, and it costs over $1,500. They would much prefer to use a product by King Connect called the Quest Pro. The Quest Pro is $550, so it’s much cheaper, it’s extremely lightweight, does not require professional installation, and it automatically aligns the dish wherever you set it. However, the Quest Pro can only receive signals from the 101° satellite and it states you only get SD channels. What is our best option?  Is it true that products for RV’s like the Quest Pro that only get SD channels will stop working in 8 months?  What are we supposed to do to get DirecTV in the RV?  The DirecTV app is not a viable option, because cell phone reception at several of these campgrounds is very limited at times.  Thanks.

Tags (3)
Message 1 of 29
ACE - Master

Re: Camping RV help please!! SD channels ending?!

tripod dish, and learn to aim would be cheapest option

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 29
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by Danielkep
‎05-10-2018 10:37 AM

It is not a rumor DTV is sending emails to SD customers saying that their equipment needs to be upgraded.

April 2019 is the date that SD will end.

Contact the RV dish makers about what if any HD dishes are they coming out with as DTV doesn't make them.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 3 of 29
Teacher

shannon02, So what will all the customers with the Quest by King do?  It only picks up the 101 degree satellite from DirecTV.  Here is a link to the product:  https://kingconnect.com/product/quest-antenna/

This company, as well as the other RV companies that provide SD ONLY service, are listed on DirecTV's official website at the following link:  https://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/contentPage.jsp?assetId=P6730097

Will these customers be compensated for their RV equipment which stops working?  I'm assuming that these products will all stop working?

Message 4 of 29
Teacher

Also... since we just called to "add a receiver" (the HR24) to our existing account, will the DTV installer be able to give us a dish when he brings the new receiver even though we already have a dish on our house and will use the new dish for the RV camper?

Message 5 of 29
ACE - Master

most likely not. the installer will connect the new receiver to your existing system

you can get a dish from solidsignal

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Message 6 of 29
Teacher

Why can I not buy an extra dish from DirecTV?  They won't give me an option to PAY THEM for one?  I'm strongly dislike the idea of using some 3rd-party uncertified unapproved unauthorized electronic device.

Message 7 of 29
ACE - Master
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by Danielkep
‎05-10-2018 10:36 AM

solidsignal is legit, they are an authorized dealer

directv does not do rv installs

Tags (1)
Message 8 of 29
ACE - Expert

All SD receivers and dishes will stop working when they stop SD broadcasting. Other than upgrading SD customers to HD with no contract DTV is doing nothing else about SD equipment as DTV has nothing to do with RV equipment it is the RV dish makers or RV dealers that handle RV sales and service.   

Message 9 of 29
Teacher

Thanks for all the help so far everyone.

Followup question:  The RV has a double coaxial connection hookup on the outside that says "cable/satellite in."  Isn't the coaxial to the dish actually powered with electricity?  So is it safe for a typical RV to have the Power Inserter for SWM LNB powered from the inside of the RV?  And that's not dangerous?  Are there some types of coaxial cables/connections/wires that are not safe to conduct electricity?

Message 10 of 29
ACE - Expert

DTV's SWM system uses 21v DC to power the LNB on the dish arm, RVs have 12v DC and 120v AC. Most likely you can't use that coax outlet as most RV use non SWM splitters. 

Message 11 of 29
Mentor

Have you ever heard of Dish Network? 

Message 12 of 29
ACE - Expert

@HSMAPS wrote:

Have you ever heard of Dish Network? 

Why yes we have. Wouldn't recommend it. Dish charges more per box based on if it is HD, HDDVR, Hopper, etc. They also list the SD feeds separately from their HD feeds. This allows them a loophole to count the SD and HD feed of the same network (same content) as 2 different channels to pad their numbers. Their hopper design is well known that some of the advertised tuners are locked to recording prime time and cannot be recovered for recording what you want. You also have to pay them to activate any external hard drive if you choose to use your own.

This thread wrapped up a month ago, but thanks for joining.

Message 13 of 29
Teacher

We ended up just buying an HD dish for DirecTV for the RV from Solid Signal. Pointing it and setting it up ended up being incredibly easy!  We were able to get all of our channels in high definition!  Very satisfied!

Message 14 of 29
Tutor

Dish does not charge more per box, they charge the same as DirecTv but start at box 2 not box 1 like DirecTV, their Advanced Receiver Fees are less as well.  DirecTV will not allow automatic portable dish manufacturers access to their KA technology broadcast that is all their HD content, the SD content that is broadcast at the 101 slot, is broadcast on KU frequencies which are the same format as all of Dish Networks sats.  This is why an auto tracking, portable dish will do HD content with Dish Network but they will not receive KA frequencies. So if the SD channels are going away on DirecTV, then RV'ers will be forced to learn how to install and align a KA/KU Slimline dish, or purchase a Winegard Traveler, which is a residential dish mounted to an automatic tracking system.  The Winegard is not portable, it is a permanently mounted to the roof which kind of dictates where you park your RV to get signal.

Message 15 of 29
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support