Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Cable requirements for new DirecTV dish install

Highlighted
Contributor

Cable requirements for new DirecTV dish install

I would like to pre-wire the coax for the dish from the structured cabling setup in the basement to the desired antenna location which will be near the roof line on the back of the house. I know that Solid Core Copper RG6 is needed for power distribution but not sure on the exact requirements.

1. How many coax cables will be needed for the antenna feed?

2. Does a ground wire need to be provided at the antenna site? If so what gauge ? ( 10 gauge ? )

3. is there a grounding block that is installed at the antenna site?

4. If a ground wire is required does it need to be a home run to the electrical ground point or the bond to the water entrance or is a grounded connection sufficient? A home run to the electrical panel would probably be about 40 or 50 feet.

5. Anything else I may have missed for the antenna install? clearance for eaves etc?

6. Each desired TV location has 2 RG6 cables to the wiring panel in the basement. Some are SCC and some are CCS.The longest run to the panel is about 50 ft max.

Thanks

Message 1 of 3
Contributor

Re: Cable requirements for new DirecTV dish install

Update to #4  "grounded connection sufficient" should be ground conduit connection which is about 15 feet from the desired antenna placement

Message 2 of 3
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by jason456
‎06-22-2017 6:53 AM

Re: Cable requirements for new DirecTV dish install

The dish coax has to be run to the power panel so that the tech can add the grounding block and ground it then the coax is run to the inside devices.

Only one coax is needed for everything unless you think you will go over the 13 tuner limit of a SWM LNB then you will need 4 coaxes from the dish and a SWM 16 module and its 29v power inserter but this setup will never do 4K.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 3 of 3
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support