Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Anyone expierence a flash or arc burn on siding by DirectTv dish receiver

Anyone expierence a flash or arc burn on siding by DirectTv dish receiver

I know I didn't have this burn mark on the siding of my house previously.  We've had Direct Tv for about 2 years, it works fine, but I noticed this burn mark by the receiver yesterday.  Anyone else have a similar experience, I haven't called in about it yet, but am curious.  I have a picture to upload, I'll add that soon

Message 1 of 18
Employee

Re: Anyone expierence a flash or arc burn on siding by DirectTv dish receiver

@taadaa0527,

i would love to see this picture. i'm assuming you maybe have had a small surge lately. not enough to blow fuses or fry the input but enough to scorch some siding. 

the ground wire might not be making proper ground either.

If this reply helped you please use Accept solution to mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 18

@tgreaves wrote:

@taadaa0527,

i would love to see this picture. i'm assuming you maybe have had a small surge lately. not enough to blow fuses or fry the input but enough to scorch some siding. 

the ground wire might not be making proper ground either.

Sorry it's sideways, I uploaded the wrong pic!
flash.jpg

Message 3 of 18
Employee

That is some decent burn. did you remove the connection block that was there?

If this reply helped you please use Accept solution to mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 18

To my knowledge, nothing has been changed from the original install.  No one has been up there and done any work that I've authorized. 

Message 5 of 18

And I'm not even sure what a connection block is!

Message 6 of 18
Employee

Ok, from the image it looks like a square shape. with the scorch being around the outside leaving the middle clearer. looked like you had something there originally.

Employee Contributor*
Message 7 of 18
Employee

Connection block/Switch

Employee Contributor*
Message 8 of 18
ACE - Master

thats a big burn for a low voltage system

i would start by checking the inside of the attic space to see i its something inside

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 9 of 18
ACE - Expert

I don't see any conduit or wiring going anywhere near your "scorch".  Are you sure it's not mildew or something of that nature?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 10 of 18
Employee

That's why i asked if something has been removed as it looks like maybe a switch was there but has since been removed.

Employee Contributor*
Message 11 of 18
ACE - Expert

I don't think that mark has anything to do with your DirecTV dish or cables.  Too far away.  And the dish voltages are too low to cause something like that.  

Message 12 of 18
ACE - Expert

Plus it looks like the coax is going down with the downspout.

There should be a grounding block near the power panel.

Message 13 of 18

It's def not mildew

Message 14 of 18
Employee

could be something behind the siding possibly inside the attic that arc'd. still nothing DTV related

Employee Contributor*
Message 15 of 18
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support