Explore & discover

Helpful Links

4K Installation

4K Installation

I've had Directv for over 20 years. I only have 1 TV in the living room. I currently have a Genie Gen 2 HD DVR HR44-700.

I have a new Sony 55" 4K UHD tv.

Do I only need a new receiver from Directv? Or will I need to have all new installation, to replace or upgrade the wires coming from the dish? Will I need a new dish?

Also do I still need a phone line connected to the receiver? I'd like to get ride of the home phone all together.

Message 1 of 9
Highlighted
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by darren1114
‎01-06-2018 6:58 PM

Re: 4K Installation

You don't need the phone line if your HR44 is connected to the internet.

You have a problem with 4K as there is only one mini that can output 4K over HDMI the C61K and you will have to pay 2 $7.00 a month fees one for the HR54 that is needed for the 3 4K channels that DTV has now and for the C61K mini for one TV.

If you want to there is the HS17 Genie2 that is having problems with software and there is a 7 tuner cap as the account will not allow any other DTV receivers only minis plus there is no PIP.

DTV may need to change the LNB on the dish arm but there is nothing else that needs replacing unless the tech finds something wrong with the existing install but that would be covered with no additional fees unless there is wall fishing.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 9
ACE - Expert

4K Requirements:

HR54 Genie on non 4K tv (Can connect to a 4K tv, but will not provide the 4K feed to it).

C61K Mini Genie Client (wired only at this time) on 4K tv.

Remember Client has no tuner of its own, uses 1 from the Genie.

4K tv must support HDCP 2.2, HDMI 2.0, and 60fps (frames per second)

Directv Installation, 4K tv must be there

Package Select or above as of 12/15/2016 (used to be only Ultimate or Premier). So only the Family package will not get 4K service at all.

At this time there are only three 4K channels. 1 regular, 1 select sporting events, 1 PPV.

Even if you have multiple C61K or RVU clients, only one tv can be using a 4K channel at a time.

In a single TV household you can have the HR54 connected to the TV by the normal and a Client connection. But this charges the $7 monthly as if you had a second TV. There is the new Genie-2 (HS17) which is Client only so wouldn't count as a 2nd TV connection, but is still working out post launch issues.

Your HR44 was the last box made with a phone jack. The only purpose was for ordering PPVs by remote (if you were not connected to internet) or using the outdated and no longer supported Caller ID on TV feature. Directv service hasn't required just to have thee service being connected to a phone line in many years. That was back when some legacy boxes received updates through the phone line instead of the satellite feed.

Because of the limited 4K content regardless of getting the 3rd gen Genie (HR54), or the new but buggy Genie-2 (HS17), I suggest not upgrading at this time.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 9
Tutor

Calling tomorrow to start the process for getting DTV. I have a Sony 4K TV. It's DTV ready. Do I need a Genie client to get 4K on this TV. Plus, any improvements on the HS17 so far?

Message 4 of 9
ACE - Expert

Using RVU means you have to wait for the TV maker to send any updates needed and they are proving to be slow doing this so most are using a C61K mini instead and some say the mini is faster, either way the price is the same.

Message 5 of 9
ACE - Expert

4K Requirements:

HR54 Genie on non 4K TV (Can connect to a 4K TV, but will not provide the 4K feed to it).

C61K Mini Genie Client (wired only at this time) on 4K TV.

Remember Client has no tuner of its own, uses 1 from the Genie.

4K TV must support HDCP 2.2, HDMI 2.0, and 60fps (frames per second)

DIRECTV Installation, 4K TV must be there

Package Select or above as of 12/15/2016 (used to be only Ultimate or Premier). So only the Family package will not get 4K service at all.

At this time there are only three 4K channels. 1 regular, 1 select sporting events, 1 PPV.

Even if you have multiple C61K or RVU clients, only one TV can be using a 4K channel at a time.

There is no charge for 4K service itself.

The new Genie-2 (HS17) can be used in place of the 3rd generation Genie (HR54). However it is not recommended because of still buggy since release and it FORBIDS other HDDVRs from being on the account which restricts it to 7 tuners and all TVs reliant on one box with an playlist that cannot be sorted between the boxes. For example a Genie and 2 HDDVRs is 9 tuners. So until they come out with a new generation of HDDVRs to work with the Genie-2, I say no to that system.

Message 6 of 9
Tutor

Great info. Thank you. Will go with the c61k for the 4K set. 

Message 7 of 9
Tutor

Just want to make sure of my set up before I call. We have 4 TVs one is 4K. I would need the Genie HR54, 1 c61K and 3 C41w clients? I know I can probably use the Genie on non 4K TV but the other 3 TV are for a different part of the house my son and his family live in. So guess what I'm saying is I want the Genie in my part of the house. Any advantage to this or just let him have it for one of his TVs and save getting another client? Anything I need the Genie for in front of me for admin proposes or anything like that? 

Message 8 of 9
ACE - Expert

@joe442

Intro offers usually include a Genie and up to 3 Mini Genie Clients as this is the most a Genie can use. Though a 5 tuner HDDVR, 2 tuners are kept to the main box to allow a recording or using the Picture in Picture (PiP) feature. If you have 4 TVs, you would put the C61K on the 4K TV itself. The Genie and other 2 Minis go on the other 3 TV. So for 4 TVs that is 1 Genie and 3 Clients not 4.

C41W is the wireless Mini. This requires a wireless video bridge (WVB) to be wired into the coax to serve as the antenna to bridge the wireless Minis to the main Genie. Wireless setup fee, which covers the purchase of the WVB (owned accessory), is $99.

Outside of the free equipment you can optionally have regular boxes instead of Mini Genie Clients. Everything but the C41W (and recently seen C61W) is wired. The one-time lease cost of a basic HD receiver (1 tuner, does not record, but can watch the recordings of your DVRs) is $99 or an HDDVR (2 tuners, has 500GB recording space itself) $199.

Message 9 of 9
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support