Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Jul 27, 2013
4:37:57 PM
What is wrong with my GenieGo setup?

Hello everyone. I just got the GeneiGo yesterday, followed all the instructions and it seemed like I was on my way to having this work as it should. I have the GenieGo connected to my 2wire router (3800HGV-B) and the Genie DVR connected wirelessly. I have the app installed on my Windows 7 laptop and it installed with no problem. It even configured my router for OOH streaming. I can see the content from my DVR on the laptop but when i try to stream a show, it says my DVR is busy and cannot stream at this time. When I try to download it just says preparing, but nothing ever happens.

After doing some research I was able to check my router and opened up port 8092 and 8093 as some others had suggested but still no luck. A call into tech support today was just basically an hour and a half call were the tech just got info about my system to give to the engineers. I have little faith that they will provide a solution.

Does anyone have an idea of what the problem could be?

Hello everyone. I just got the GeneiGo yesterday, followed all the instructions and it seemed like I was on my way to having this work as it should. I have the GenieGo connected to my 2wire router (3800HGV-B) and the Genie DVR connected wirelessly. I have the app installed on my Windows 7 laptop and it installed with no problem. It even configured my router for OOH streaming. I can see the content from my DVR on the laptop but when i try to stream a show, it says my DVR is busy and cannot stream at this time. When I try to download it just says preparing, but nothing ever happens.

After doing some research I was able to check my router and opened up port 8092 and 8093 as some others had suggested but still no luck. A call into tech support today was just basically an hour and a half call were the tech just got info about my system to give to the engineers. I have little faith that they will provide a solution.

Does anyone have an idea of what the problem could be?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jul 29, 2013 2:21:27 PM
(0)
Teacher

I got it working now!!

I tried your suggestion but that did now work either. The problem was that

I had the HR44 connected wirelessly to the internet. I had to connect it

with the Ethernet cable. Everything is now working.

Thanks again for everyone's suggestions.

On Sun, Jul 28, 2013 at 4:33 PM, new2dtv

Accepted Solution

What is wrong with my GenieGo setup?

47 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(47)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 27, 2013 4:41:58 PM
(0)
Employee

Not sure if this is your problem, but a Genie can only stream to 3 devices at any given time.  so if you have 3 clients currently watching live or recorded TV, the GenieGo would not be able to "connect" to the Genie

Not sure if this is your problem, but a Genie can only stream to 3 devices at any given time.  so if you have 3 clients currently watching live or recorded TV, the GenieGo would not be able to "connect" to the Genie

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: What is wrong with my GenieGo setup?

2 of 48 (277 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 27, 2013 5:37:27 PM
(0)
Teacher

Thanks for the suggestion but that is not the problem.  It's good to know though. 

Sent via Galaxy Note® II

Thanks for the suggestion but that is not the problem.  It's good to know though. 

Sent via Galaxy Note® II

3 of 48 (277 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 27, 2013 7:29:42 PM
(0)
Employee

First thing to try is resetting your DVR/Receiver using the red button behind the front panel access card door. See if that helps. ( on side panel on H25 receivers).

First thing to try is resetting your DVR/Receiver using the red button behind the front panel access card door. See if that helps. ( on side panel on H25 receivers).

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 48 (277 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 27, 2013 8:25:16 PM
(0)
Administrator

Do you have a HR34 or HR44. If you have an HR34 you must also have a CCK-W(cinema connection kit) which is needed to make the HR34 wireless. If this is the case you need to connect the geniego to the CCK-W. Later found out this is not true. Thanks to dcd.

Do you have a HR34 or HR44. If you have an HR34 you must also have a CCK-W(cinema connection kit) which is needed to make the HR34 wireless. If this is the case you need to connect the geniego to the CCK-W. Later found out this is not true. Thanks to dcd.

5 of 48 (277 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2013 7:37:38 AM
(0)
Expert

Quote: "If you have an HR34 you must also have a CCK-W(cinema connection kit) which is needed to make the HR34 wireless. If this is the case you need to connect the GenieGO to the CCK-W."

This is not accurate.  The OP stated that the GenieGO was connected to their router, that's the end of the GenieGO's requirement and attaching the GenieGO to the CCK would be a step backwards.

To the original poster.  On the Genie's remote, press the dash :smileyminus: button.  Does the resulting message indicate Internet connected?

Quote: "If you have an HR34 you must also have a CCK-W(cinema connection kit) which is needed to make the HR34 wireless. If this is the case you need to connect the GenieGO to the CCK-W."

This is not accurate.  The OP stated that the GenieGO was connected to their router, that's the end of the GenieGO's requirement and attaching the GenieGO to the CCK would be a step backwards.

To the original poster.  On the Genie's remote, press the dash :smileyminus: button.  Does the resulting message indicate Internet connected?

6 of 48 (277 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2013 7:50:05 AM
(0)
Administrator

Goto DIRECTV I want to install GenieGO myself. Can you show me how? When asked about your setup click on yes. Also this the way I am connected. Have no problems at all.

Goto DIRECTV I want to install GenieGO myself. Can you show me how? When asked about your setup click on yes. Also this the way I am connected. Have no problems at all.

7 of 48 (277 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2013 8:12:31 AM
(0)
Teacher

This is an HR44 and yes pressing the dash button shows that it is connected to the internet.

Sent via Galaxy Note® II

This is an HR44 and yes pressing the dash button shows that it is connected to the internet.

Sent via Galaxy Note® II

8 of 48 (277 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2013 8:38:55 AM
(0)
Teacher

No luck here either,  i've reset the hr44 and also the geniego by pressing the red reset button for 30 seconds.

Sent via Galaxy Note® II

No luck here either,  i've reset the hr44 and also the geniego by pressing the red reset button for 30 seconds.

Sent via Galaxy Note® II

9 of 48 (277 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2013 8:49:43 AM
(0)
Teacher

I have been through this setup, but I think the problem is beyond the common issues others have had. 

I think the issue has to do with my router and the port forwarding.  I have opened port 8092-8093 because this is what fixed someone elses problem.  How do I verify what the correct ports are to open?

Sent via Galaxy Note® II

I have been through this setup, but I think the problem is beyond the common issues others have had. 

I think the issue has to do with my router and the port forwarding.  I have opened port 8092-8093 because this is what fixed someone elses problem.  How do I verify what the correct ports are to open?

Sent via Galaxy Note® II

10 of 48 (277 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2013 9:03:52 AM
(0)
Administrator

Port forwarding is not required when accessing the genigo at home as all activity takes place in your home network. It is only necessary when OOH.

Port forwarding is not required when accessing the genigo at home as all activity takes place in your home network. It is only necessary when OOH.

11 of 48 (277 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2013 9:09:00 AM
(0)
Administrator

dcd. Sorry. I based what I said on the online instructions. Definitely they need to be updated. Obviously it is an either or.

dcd. Sorry. I based what I said on the online instructions. Definitely they need to be updated. Obviously it is an either or.

12 of 48 (277 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2013 10:25:43 AM
(0)
Teacher

Oh ok, in that case im at a loss. Seems like I have everything connected correctly but it's just not working WTH?

Sent via Galaxy Note® II

Oh ok, in that case im at a loss. Seems like I have everything connected correctly but it's just not working WTH?

Sent via Galaxy Note® II

13 of 48 (277 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2013 10:51:43 AM
(0)
Administrator

I have no idea either. Here is something I would like you try if at all possible. Disconnect from your internet but leave your Wi-Fi active. Then try. It was reported in another forum that this will work.

I have no idea either. Here is something I would like you try if at all possible. Disconnect from your internet but leave your Wi-Fi active. Then try. It was reported in another forum that this will work.

14 of 48 (277 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2013 12:32:56 PM
(0)
Teacher

Im not sure what you mean by disconnecting from the Internet but leaving the wireless on can you please clarify? 

Sent via Galaxy Note® II

Im not sure what you mean by disconnecting from the Internet but leaving the wireless on can you please clarify? 

Sent via Galaxy Note® II

15 of 48 (277 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2013 12:57:06 PM
(0)
Administrator

Unplug your internet cable or whatever is plugged into your modem. I just tried it myself and was not even able to get the geniego to connect.

Unplug your internet cable or whatever is plugged into your modem. I just tried it myself and was not even able to get the geniego to connect.

16 of 48 (277 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2013 4:33:00 PM
(0)
Administrator

I tried it again and here is what I did. I launched the geniego when I got my recorded shows on the display I disconnected the Ethernet that connected the router to the modem. I then selected a show followed by Watch Now. I was able to watch the show with no problems. If you would like give this a try.

I tried it again and here is what I did. I launched the geniego when I got my recorded shows on the display I disconnected the Ethernet that connected the router to the modem. I then selected a show followed by Watch Now. I was able to watch the show with no problems. If you would like give this a try.

17 of 48 (277 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jul 29, 2013 2:21:27 PM
(0)
Teacher

I got it working now!!

I got it working now!!

18 of 48 (277 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 29, 2013 3:13:48 PM
(0)
Teacher

The only problem with connecting an ethernet cable directly to the back of the HR44 is that you shut off the internal DECA. do you have other recivers that are hooked up and sharing ? if so in time this will disable the share and you wont be able to watch recorded content on your other recivers.

The only problem with connecting an ethernet cable directly to the back of the HR44 is that you shut off the internal DECA. do you have other recivers that are hooked up and sharing ? if so in time this will disable the share and you wont be able to watch recorded content on your other recivers.

19 of 48 (277 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 29, 2013 3:19:05 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

No, that's not true .   The HR34 and HR44 Genie HD DVRs can indeed have their ethernet ports connected to the home network without disrupting Whole Home DVR sharing, provided that no other CCK is installed.  Essentially the Genie DVR becomes the CCK.

No, that's not true .   The HR34 and HR44 Genie HD DVRs can indeed have their ethernet ports connected to the home network without disrupting Whole Home DVR sharing, provided that no other CCK is installed.  Essentially the Genie DVR becomes the CCK.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

20 of 48 (277 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 29, 2013 3:20:51 PM
(0)
Teacher

Shoot, I didn't know that. I do have the Genie Mini in the bedroom. This

one needs to be able to access the recordings from the HR44. I'll have to

check this out when I get home later. Thanks for the info on this.

On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 3:14 PM, grahaminstaller1 <

Shoot, I didn't know that. I do have the Genie Mini in the bedroom. This

one needs to be able to access the recordings from the HR44. I'll have to

check this out when I get home later. Thanks for the info on this.

On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 3:14 PM, grahaminstaller1 <

21 of 48 (277 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 29, 2013 3:22:39 PM
(0)
Teacher

Thanks for the input litzdog911, I do hope that is the case.

Thanks for the input litzdog911, I do hope that is the case.

22 of 48 (277 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 29, 2013 8:11:00 PM
(0)
Tutor

I am about to send the GenieGo back.  I have the same set up as you, with the 2Wire 3800HGV-B, except that in addition to the HR44, I also have a H24 connected to the whole home network.  Everything is hooked up correctly, I can watch programs from the HR 24 but I get the DVR busy message when I try to watch recorded programs from the HR44. I have tried just about everything, and I keep getting the message here is the list:

1. Disconnected the HR 24 completely from the network
  2. Reset both DVR's
  3. Reset GenieGO the 30 second and 2 minute resets
  4. Uninstalled software and reinstalled from laptop
  5. Reset router/modem
  6. I even got ATT to replace the router/modem

I think I am going to throw in the towel on this one.  Any other ideas?  The only thing I have not tried is to hardwire the HR44 to the internet rather than use the wifi.  This should not be an issue, then what is the point of having the latest technology of the HR44?

Thanks all.

I am about to send the GenieGo back.  I have the same set up as you, with the 2Wire 3800HGV-B, except that in addition to the HR44, I also have a H24 connected to the whole home network.  Everything is hooked up correctly, I can watch programs from the HR 24 but I get the DVR busy message when I try to watch recorded programs from the HR44. I have tried just about everything, and I keep getting the message here is the list:

1. Disconnected the HR 24 completely from the network
  2. Reset both DVR's
  3. Reset GenieGO the 30 second and 2 minute resets
  4. Uninstalled software and reinstalled from laptop
  5. Reset router/modem
  6. I even got ATT to replace the router/modem

I think I am going to throw in the towel on this one.  Any other ideas?  The only thing I have not tried is to hardwire the HR44 to the internet rather than use the wifi.  This should not be an issue, then what is the point of having the latest technology of the HR44?

Thanks all.

23 of 48 (277 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 29, 2013 8:35:07 PM
(0)
Administrator

How far is your Genie from the modem/router maybe the signal strength is marginal. By putting a cell phone by the genie you might get some idea what the strength is. In some cell phone some where in settings you can get a number value of the signal strength. Also I am beginning to think that the genie is more sensitive to the wireless signal strength then the HR24.

How far is your Genie from the modem/router maybe the signal strength is marginal. By putting a cell phone by the genie you might get some idea what the strength is. In some cell phone some where in settings you can get a number value of the signal strength. Also I am beginning to think that the genie is more sensitive to the wireless signal strength then the HR24.

24 of 48 (277 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 29, 2013 8:40:02 PM
(0)
Tutor

30 feet at the most with a direct view of the router.  Maybe I have a faulty GenieGo or HR44?

30 feet at the most with a direct view of the router.  Maybe I have a faulty GenieGo or HR44?

25 of 48 (277 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 29, 2013 9:05:08 PM
(0)
Teacher

I'm not sure if you read what fixed my HR44/GenieGo problem, but it was to

connect the HR44 hard wired. I would suggest you try that.

On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 8:11 PM, br_nole

I'm not sure if you read what fixed my HR44/GenieGo problem, but it was to

connect the HR44 hard wired. I would suggest you try that.

On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 8:11 PM, br_nole

26 of 48 (277 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 29, 2013 9:10:24 PM
(0)
Administrator

That doesn't seem unreasonable. Did you check the signal strength on you phone. I agree with you there is no reason why it should not with a wireless connection. I doubt if the geniego is bad it works with your HR24 which is through the wireless Wi-Fi in your genie.. In fact I bet if you connected the genie via Ethernet to your modem router it would also work. I know this a pain in the a-- but would prove rather or not it would work. Because the Hr24 works sure makes me think it is a problem related to the HR44 and own wireless setup.

That doesn't seem unreasonable. Did you check the signal strength on you phone. I agree with you there is no reason why it should not with a wireless connection. I doubt if the geniego is bad it works with your HR24 which is through the wireless Wi-Fi in your genie.. In fact I bet if you connected the genie via Ethernet to your modem router it would also work. I know this a pain in the a-- but would prove rather or not it would work. Because the Hr24 works sure makes me think it is a problem related to the HR44 and own wireless setup.

27 of 48 (277 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 29, 2013 9:13:38 PM
(0)
Tutor

Yes I did.  That is the only thing I have not tried.  It kind of defeats the purpose of having built in wifi adapter in the HR-44 (Genie).  Now I need a long CAT 5 cable to run it to the router.  I guess I am very curious to see if this works.  Thanks for the help.

Yes I did.  That is the only thing I have not tried.  It kind of defeats the purpose of having built in wifi adapter in the HR-44 (Genie).  Now I need a long CAT 5 cable to run it to the router.  I guess I am very curious to see if this works.  Thanks for the help.

28 of 48 (277 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 29, 2013 9:17:49 PM
(0)
Administrator

How far is your modem/router from your HR44. Also what is the signal strength.

Since you both have the same modem there is an outside chance this could come into play, but highly doubt it do to the fact br_noles HR24 works.

How far is your modem/router from your HR44. Also what is the signal strength.

Since you both have the same modem there is an outside chance this could come into play, but highly doubt it do to the fact br_noles HR24 works.

29 of 48 (277 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 29, 2013 10:35:44 PM
(0)
Teacher

My router is only about 3 feet away from my hr44 so the signal strength is strong.  

Im kinda bummed that it only works hard wired in my case since I try to keep the cabling to a minimum, but i can live with this.

Sent via Galaxy Note® II

My router is only about 3 feet away from my hr44 so the signal strength is strong.  

Im kinda bummed that it only works hard wired in my case since I try to keep the cabling to a minimum, but i can live with this.

Sent via Galaxy Note® II

30 of 48 (277 Views)