Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Mar 22, 2014
2:42:08 PM
OOH not working and I give up

So I am not one to give up on something but I have  tried for  the past week to get this thing to work done search after search after search etc.  for answers but I cannot get the out of home to work. I am a charter high speed internet customer. Have a Motorola surfboard modem hooked to vonage box then to Netgear wndr3700v3 router to desktop and up to my first floor entertainment center to network switch where genie go is hooked in with the genie hd receiver n denon av receiver.  No matter what i have tried I cannot get the genie out of home to work. Can't seem to get port forwarding set up for the 8083 or 8084 ports on router. I've added them like the directions show used the IP address I believe the correct one And have also set up rules on norton360 to allow the port forwarding. I go to the port forwarding sites and check them but they still show up as closed. I've called Direct tv who was useless n said to call netgear to resolve problem. Netgear websites not helpful called tech support who said its charters problem.  Call charter n they referred me to yup. You guessed it.  DIRECT TV like the circle of life ....  I have run out of ideas and cannot figure it out.  Anyone have the same issue that could possibly shed some light on it. thanks for at least letting me rant

So I am not one to give up on something but I have  tried for  the past week to get this thing to work done search after search after search etc.  for answers but I cannot get the out of home to work. I am a charter high speed internet customer. Have a Motorola surfboard modem hooked to vonage box then to Netgear wndr3700v3 router to desktop and up to my first floor entertainment center to network switch where genie go is hooked in with the genie hd receiver n denon av receiver.  No matter what i have tried I cannot get the genie out of home to work. Can't seem to get port forwarding set up for the 8083 or 8084 ports on router. I've added them like the directions show used the IP address I believe the correct one And have also set up rules on norton360 to allow the port forwarding. I go to the port forwarding sites and check them but they still show up as closed. I've called Direct tv who was useless n said to call netgear to resolve problem. Netgear websites not helpful called tech support who said its charters problem.  Call charter n they referred me to yup. You guessed it.  DIRECT TV like the circle of life ....  I have run out of ideas and cannot figure it out.  Anyone have the same issue that could possibly shed some light on it. thanks for at least letting me rant

OOH not working and I give up

19 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(19)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2014 2:48:56 PM
(0)
Employee

remove the Vonage (as a test)  and connect router directly to your modem.  post back the results.

remove the Vonage (as a test)  and connect router directly to your modem.  post back the results.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: OOH not working and I give up

2 of 20 (10 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2014 3:38:19 PM
(0)
Tutor

OOk. So. Good idea.  Unhooked vonage reset everything n did port checks on 8083 n 8084 n now are both open. Tried the configuration again and still no good.  But it's a start at least the ports are open

OOk. So. Good idea.  Unhooked vonage reset everything n did port checks on 8083 n 8084 n now are both open. Tried the configuration again and still no good.  But it's a start at least the ports are open

3 of 20 (10 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2014 3:46:46 PM
(0)
Mentor

ts supposed to be 8082 and 8083 not 4.

ts supposed to be 8082 and 8083 not 4.

4 of 20 (10 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2014 3:48:30 PM
(0)
Employee

check your GenieGO client to make sure you are opening the right ports.

check your GenieGO client to make sure you are opening the right ports.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

5 of 20 (10 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2014 4:00:38 PM
(0)
Tutor

TThat's the ports listed in the geniego app. Should I change them to 8082 8083??

TThat's the ports listed in the geniego app. Should I change them to 8082 8083??

6 of 20 (10 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2014 6:45:01 PM
(0)
Employee

forward the ports as listed on the app

forward the ports as listed on the app

7 of 20 (10 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2014 8:18:06 PM
(0)
Mentor

8082 and 3 were what I was told on the phone by dtv support.  Those work for me.  Your situation is different I guess.

8082 and 3 were what I was told on the phone by dtv support.  Those work for me.  Your situation is different I guess.

8 of 20 (10 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 23, 2014 5:45:03 AM
(0)
Expert

My Genie has opened ports 8086 and 8087 initially (during testing period) and later opened 8082 and 8083.  If it were me, I'd open 8082 as well as 8083 and 8084, just to be sure.

My Genie has opened ports 8086 and 8087 initially (during testing period) and later opened 8082 and 8083.  If it were me, I'd open 8082 as well as 8083 and 8084, just to be sure.

9 of 20 (10 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 23, 2014 6:41:19 AM
(0)
Employee

you can open 8081 to 8089 to be on the safe side

you can open 8081 to 8089 to be on the safe side

10 of 20 (10 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 23, 2014 5:18:26 PM
(0)
Tutor

So ports are open n I can connect w ipad

So ports are open n I can connect w ipad

11 of 20 (10 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 23, 2014 6:07:40 PM
(0)
Employee

So is working?

So is working?

12 of 20 (10 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2014 4:37:03 PM
(0)
Tutor

I've been able to connect o the router but not actually watch anything now from inside my network on the iPad s. etc. get. A DVr error message. Does the DVr Ned to be hooked into my switch

Sent from my iPad

I've been able to connect o the router but not actually watch anything now from inside my network on the iPad s. etc. get. A DVr error message. Does the DVr Ned to be hooked into my switch

Sent from my iPad

13 of 20 (10 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2014 5:19:46 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

The DVR needs to be connected to your home network.  What model DVR(s) do you have?  How are they connected to your home network?

The DVR needs to be connected to your home network.  What model DVR(s) do you have?  How are they connected to your home network?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

14 of 20 (10 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2014 6:20:52 PM
(0)
Tutor

It's the newer genie hd DVr just installed by direct tv installer one month ago. He connected the genie go n said ill just have to download the app and will be all set to go after the upgrade was completed. Never happened . Pisses me off when installers don't know a damn thing I could of installed it all myself without any issue and been to where I'm at now. I always tip these guys when they show but I'm thinking that's just plain stupidity. The receiver is hr 44/200.

Sent from my iPad

It's the newer genie hd DVr just installed by direct tv installer one month ago. He connected the genie go n said ill just have to download the app and will be all set to go after the upgrade was completed. Never happened . Pisses me off when installers don't know a damn thing I could of installed it all myself without any issue and been to where I'm at now. I always tip these guys when they show but I'm thinking that's just plain stupidity. The receiver is hr 44/200.

Sent from my iPad

15 of 20 (10 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2014 6:27:34 PM
(0)
Employee

How is your HR44 connected to your network?

How is your HR44 connected to your network?

16 of 20 (10 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 25, 2014 5:01:04 AM
(0)
Tutor

Ethernet cable to network switch

Ethernet cable to network switch

17 of 20 (10 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 25, 2014 1:16:17 PM
(0)
Employee

To see where is failing you need to start with the basics.  as a test, connect your GG and HR44 directly to the router and see it that helps

To see where is failing you need to start with the basics.  as a test, connect your GG and HR44 directly to the router and see it that helps

18 of 20 (10 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2014 4:40:10 AM
(0)
Tutor

Still bypassing the vonage box?

Still bypassing the vonage box?

19 of 20 (10 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2014 11:49:17 AM
(0)
Employee

Absolutely

Absolutely

20 of 20 (10 Views)