Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Mar 27, 2014
11:00:39 PM
View profile
Number of connections??

I understand you can only have 5 connections and it seems like a lot.  But just so I understand.  Is that on their end.  Or its it just geniego is limited and can only handle so much.  It seems like if we're not all watching at the same time it should be unlimited connections.

Instead of 5 connections and waiting 30 days to readd something after you delete it wouldn't it be better to just allow unlimited connections.  And then say all connections are in use and to wait for something to finish or exit.  So at least I can add multiple (Iphone, Ipad, Laptops).  So I don't have to decide which 5.  I can add say 10 things and then just limit the incoming to 5.  So I'm not constantly readding  and deleting things.  I can add as much as I like and then just as need be like once all 5 are watching it will pop up and say the max is watching.  I hate always deleting and readding things.

I understand you can only have 5 connections and it seems like a lot.  But just so I understand.  Is that on their end.  Or its it just geniego is limited and can only handle so much.  It seems like if we're not all watching at the same time it should be unlimited connections.

Instead of 5 connections and waiting 30 days to readd something after you delete it wouldn't it be better to just allow unlimited connections.  And then say all connections are in use and to wait for something to finish or exit.  So at least I can add multiple (Iphone, Ipad, Laptops).  So I don't have to decide which 5.  I can add say 10 things and then just limit the incoming to 5.  So I'm not constantly readding  and deleting things.  I can add as much as I like and then just as need be like once all 5 are watching it will pop up and say the max is watching.  I hate always deleting and readding things.

Number of connections??

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2014 11:10:33 PM
(0)
Professor

I believe it is more of a DRM issue to keep people from selling the connections.

I believe it is more of a DRM issue to keep people from selling the connections.

Re: Number of connections??

2 of 7 (4 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2014 11:15:57 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Yep, Shannon is spot on.  It's designed to limit the number of devices that can use one GenieGo. 

Yep, Shannon is spot on.  It's designed to limit the number of devices that can use one GenieGo. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 7 (4 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2014 11:33:40 PM
(0)
Mentor

But couldn't they just limit the connections rather than the devices.  Like since you have to login to the app anyway it will just detect too many devices are using and warn you.  I mean even one device is enough to copy stuff. 

But couldn't they just limit the connections rather than the devices.  Like since you have to login to the app anyway it will just detect too many devices are using and warn you.  I mean even one device is enough to copy stuff. 

4 of 7 (4 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2014 3:16:47 AM
(0)
Expert

If you have a suggestion re design you'd be best to write directly to Directv.  There is no one here that has any say whatever as to how any of the devices are designed.

If you have a suggestion re design you'd be best to write directly to Directv.  There is no one here that has any say whatever as to how any of the devices are designed.

5 of 7 (4 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2014 7:49:27 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Is not about copying but rather allowing multitudes of folks to have access to a single GenieGo

In other words, DirecTV does not want you to give access to your entire neighborhood and beyond

Is not about copying but rather allowing multitudes of folks to have access to a single GenieGo

In other words, DirecTV does not want you to give access to your entire neighborhood and beyond

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 7 (4 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2014 8:42:05 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

amarjit:

I supposed that DirecTV could have done it that way, but they didn't.   It's probably easier for the GenieGo device to "remember" the 5 authorized devices rather than try to use some sort of "cloud-based" service to track how many devices you're using at any one time.

amarjit:

I supposed that DirecTV could have done it that way, but they didn't.   It's probably easier for the GenieGo device to "remember" the 5 authorized devices rather than try to use some sort of "cloud-based" service to track how many devices you're using at any one time.

7 of 7 (4 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments