Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Community

Posted Jul 15, 2013
9:54:08 AM
View profile
Not crazy about the new Genie remote

I hate how they combined the Play and Pause buttons. If I want to see how far I am in a program I'm watching, I have to pause it to see the ticker. Unless I'm missing something?

Also, since there's no slide bar to switch to different devices, I can't use the remote to turn on/off my AV receiver. I can control the volume on it, but that's it. Need a separate remote or manually get up to turn it on/off. Smiley Sad

I hate how they combined the Play and Pause buttons. If I want to see how far I am in a program I'm watching, I have to pause it to see the ticker. Unless I'm missing something?

Also, since there's no slide bar to switch to different devices, I can't use the remote to turn on/off my AV receiver. I can control the volume on it, but that's it. Need a separate remote or manually get up to turn it on/off. Smiley Sad

Not crazy about the new Genie remote

14 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(14)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 15, 2013 10:24:01 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

You are not alone

You are not alone

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Not crazy about the new Genie remote

2 of 15 (140 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2014 10:14:12 AM
(0)
Teacher

Yes, it is a piece of crap.

I can find no way to <Page Down> in the program guide, playlist etc.  Has anyone found one?

There is also no STOP button to use when watching a recording, thus no way to go back to the start screen for the program (where we find things like delete, resume etc) and then back to the play list.  That is,  except to use the left arrow ("back") which will get you there but does not stop what is playing.  Pressing "exit" stops playing but jumps back to real-time tv.

Frankly, I see no point at all in having bought the silly thing.  Sure glad I didn't pay the extra ten bucks for the backlit model.  That would be like putting racing stripes on a banana.

Yes, it is a piece of crap.

I can find no way to <Page Down> in the program guide, playlist etc.  Has anyone found one?

There is also no STOP button to use when watching a recording, thus no way to go back to the start screen for the program (where we find things like delete, resume etc) and then back to the play list.  That is,  except to use the left arrow ("back") which will get you there but does not stop what is playing.  Pressing "exit" stops playing but jumps back to real-time tv.

Frankly, I see no point at all in having bought the silly thing.  Sure glad I didn't pay the extra ten bucks for the backlit model.  That would be like putting racing stripes on a banana.

3 of 15 (140 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2014 10:38:49 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Press the CH UP or DOWN button to page through the guide or playlist

Press the CH UP or DOWN button to page through the guide or playlist

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 15 (140 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2014 11:15:35 AM
(0)
Teacher

Oops!  There IS no CH up/dn button on the new Genie remote (RC72).  The up/dn arrows don't change channels.  They get you quicktune and double-play.   On lists, they move you one line at a time.

Go play in another forum.

Oops!  There IS no CH up/dn button on the new Genie remote (RC72).  The up/dn arrows don't change channels.  They get you quicktune and double-play.   On lists, they move you one line at a time.

Go play in another forum.

5 of 15 (140 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2014 12:04:53 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

ghardenbrook - on my RC71 (the non-backlit version of the RC72) the ch up down toggle certainly DOES page through the guide or playlist......

ghardenbrook - on my RC71 (the non-backlit version of the RC72) the ch up down toggle certainly DOES page through the guide or playlist......

6 of 15 (140 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2014 12:55:36 PM
(0)
Teacher

first, are you talking about the arrow buttons above and below the select button?  do these change channels for you?  not for me.  They open double-play and quicktune.  they have only arrows, no CH+- logos.  in guide and list they move only one line at a time, not a pgdn or pgup.

FWIW, I too have the non-backlit but it is labeled RC72 ($15.)  I have the HR34.  Do you have the 44?

first, are you talking about the arrow buttons above and below the select button?  do these change channels for you?  not for me.  They open double-play and quicktune.  they have only arrows, no CH+- logos.  in guide and list they move only one line at a time, not a pgdn or pgup.

FWIW, I too have the non-backlit but it is labeled RC72 ($15.)  I have the HR34.  Do you have the 44?

7 of 15 (140 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2014 1:16:03 PM
(0)
Scholar

You can buy the RC65 or the previous remote controls with RF capability.

You can buy the RC65 or the previous remote controls with RF capability.

8 of 15 (140 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2014 2:14:54 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

No, it's the "Channel UP" and "Channel DOWN" buttons.

No, it's the "Channel UP" and "Channel DOWN" buttons.

9 of 15 (140 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2014 2:54:34 PM
(0)
Teacher

something isn't matching up here.  Do you have CH+- that are separate from the arrows that surround the select button?

Go here to see the layout of my remote...

How do I program my Genie Remote? | DIRECTV Support

something isn't matching up here.  Do you have CH+- that are separate from the arrows that surround the select button?

Go here to see the layout of my remote...

How do I program my Genie Remote? | DIRECTV Support

10 of 15 (140 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2014 2:59:39 PM
(0)
Teacher

there's a ch rocker switch next to my volume control.  I think I see the problem.  I programmed the vol for my tv.  The ch button now changes channels on my tv, not dtv.  How do I undo that????

there's a ch rocker switch next to my volume control.  I think I see the problem.  I programmed the vol for my tv.  The ch button now changes channels on my tv, not dtv.  How do I undo that????

11 of 15 (140 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2014 3:11:38 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Those are the directional keys.  The CH UP and DOWN are below the directional buttons

Those are the directional keys.  The CH UP and DOWN are below the directional buttons

12 of 15 (140 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 19, 2014 6:14:23 AM
(0)
Scholar

I kept my RC65s from previous installation when I went to the Genie and the minis. I do have one RC71 on my "portable" mini that I use in the guest room or on screen porch. I prefer the RC65 simply because my fingers have memorized the button positions.:smileycool:

I kept my RC65s from previous installation when I went to the Genie and the minis. I do have one RC71 on my "portable" mini that I use in the guest room or on screen porch. I prefer the RC65 simply because my fingers have memorized the button positions.:smileycool:

13 of 15 (140 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 20, 2014 8:45:00 AM
(0)
Mentor

And.....every time you use the buttons (especially volume and channel up/down), if you are watching something that is quiet, you get to hear.... CLICK CLICK CLICK!!!!!!!

Would love to have that changed too...

BJBBJB

And.....every time you use the buttons (especially volume and channel up/down), if you are watching something that is quiet, you get to hear.... CLICK CLICK CLICK!!!!!!!

Would love to have that changed too...

BJBBJB

14 of 15 (140 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2014 11:20:06 AM
(0)
Tutor

Agree with the comments about the play/pause combo, but there is one good feature in the new remote - the RF actually works, every time.

No more pointing it in the right direction (read that as a counterintuitive direction).  If your watching in bed, it even works under the covers - LOL.

Agree with the comments about the play/pause combo, but there is one good feature in the new remote - the RF actually works, every time.

No more pointing it in the right direction (read that as a counterintuitive direction).  If your watching in bed, it even works under the covers - LOL.

15 of 15 (140 Views)