Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Community

Posted Oct 4, 2013
5:47:16 PM
View profile
New genie go. It is hooked up to my router. I have a HR24 that is hooked up to a direct tv internet connection center. iPad can find the Genie go and let me sign in, but it never activates. Any ideas?

New genie go. It is hooked up to my router. I have a HR24 that is hooked up to a direct tv internet connection center. iPad can find the Genie go and let me sign in, but it never activates. Any ideas?

2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(2)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2013 9:25:43 AM
(0)
Expert

Have you tried activating the GenieGO from your computer?  You'll need to download the App for the PC of course.

Watch Recorded TV Shows on Mobile with DIRECTV GenieGO - DIRECTV

Have you tried activating the GenieGO from your computer?  You'll need to download the App for the PC of course.

Watch Recorded TV Shows on Mobile with DIRECTV GenieGO - DIRECTV

Re: New genie go. It is hooked up to my router. I have a HR24 that is hooked up to a direct tv internet connection center. iPad can find the Genie go and let me sign in, but it never activates. Any ideas?

2 of 3 (13 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2013 10:25:36 AM
(0)
Teacher

what is a "directv internet connection center"?

FYI the lessons I learned in setting up my GenieGo:

1.  keep the network simple.

a) if you have both a DSL modem/router, AND a wireless router, make sure that you configure the wireless router as an access point only, and forget about configuring dual routers.

b) set up automatic DHCP reservation

c)  GenieGo plugs into the same side of the same router that your WH network plugs into

2.  if you change the defaults on your router(s)/modems then GenieGo may not be able to set them up automagically.  Forget automatic anyway (my opinion);  go through the manual steps to set up port forwarding yourself, and pick different ports than the out-of-box defaults, to at least add a layer of obfuscation to assist  your security plan. you'll understand your network better having done this. 

3.  PC firewalls can get in your way.  disable them only temporarily to get things running ,and then create rules to allow things to operate

4.  do the initial install using your PC (not a tablet or phone).  get "out of home"  to test properly on the PC before you try any other device.

5.  Sometimes GenieGo acts up and you have to kill the app and run it again.

what is a "directv internet connection center"?

FYI the lessons I learned in setting up my GenieGo:

1.  keep the network simple.

a) if you have both a DSL modem/router, AND a wireless router, make sure that you configure the wireless router as an access point only, and forget about configuring dual routers.

b) set up automatic DHCP reservation

c)  GenieGo plugs into the same side of the same router that your WH network plugs into

2.  if you change the defaults on your router(s)/modems then GenieGo may not be able to set them up automagically.  Forget automatic anyway (my opinion);  go through the manual steps to set up port forwarding yourself, and pick different ports than the out-of-box defaults, to at least add a layer of obfuscation to assist  your security plan. you'll understand your network better having done this. 

3.  PC firewalls can get in your way.  disable them only temporarily to get things running ,and then create rules to allow things to operate

4.  do the initial install using your PC (not a tablet or phone).  get "out of home"  to test properly on the PC before you try any other device.

5.  Sometimes GenieGo acts up and you have to kill the app and run it again.

Re: New genie go. It is hooked up to my router. I have a HR24 that is hooked up to a direct tv internet connection center. iPad can find the Genie go and let me sign in, but it never activates. Any ideas?

3 of 3 (13 Views)