Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Oct 30, 2013
4:49:59 PM
View profile
My GenieGo worked perfectly for the last 3 months. Until now.

All of a sudden the programing stutters badly on all my devices. An iPad, 2 iPhones and a brand new iMac. I'm only using in home right now. It will play for 10 seconds or so then stop for 5-10 seconds and just keep going like that. Nothing has changed on my network other than the addition of the iMac, but it wasn't working before i got that anyway. This thing is unusable unless you download the program to the device. Any ideas what to try. I've tried the obvious stuff, restarting, Genie, GenieGo and the router too. I even updated the firmware on the router. No help.

All of a sudden the programing stutters badly on all my devices. An iPad, 2 iPhones and a brand new iMac. I'm only using in home right now. It will play for 10 seconds or so then stop for 5-10 seconds and just keep going like that. Nothing has changed on my network other than the addition of the iMac, but it wasn't working before i got that anyway. This thing is unusable unless you download the program to the device. Any ideas what to try. I've tried the obvious stuff, restarting, Genie, GenieGo and the router too. I even updated the firmware on the router. No help.

My GenieGo worked perfectly for the last 3 months. Until now.

34 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(34)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 31, 2013 4:01:45 AM
(0)
Expert

According to your list, you have four devices programmed for the GenieGO.  I assume you have the GenieGO connected by Ethernet cable directly to your router?  If you have a desktop or other computer connected to the router by wire as well, install the GenieGO software there and see how the Instant Play works.  I'd guess that your intermittent playback is due to a faltering Wi-Fi signal between the router and your mobile device.

According to your list, you have four devices programmed for the GenieGO.  I assume you have the GenieGO connected by Ethernet cable directly to your router?  If you have a desktop or other computer connected to the router by wire as well, install the GenieGO software there and see how the Instant Play works.  I'd guess that your intermittent playback is due to a faltering Wi-Fi signal between the router and your mobile device.

Re: My GenieGo worked perfectly for the last 3 months. Until now.

2 of 35 (10 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 31, 2013 5:48:22 AM
(0)
Teacher

Yes, the GenieGo is connected via ethernet directly to router. And yes everything else is via wifi. What I don't understand is it worked perfectly all summer. I was watching baseball from out in my yard. I will try your idea of connecting the  iMac with ethernet and see what happens. The wifi does show as completely full stregnth signal wherever I go in my house. Does the strength of the signal not necessarily mean a quality signal?

Yes, the GenieGo is connected via ethernet directly to router. And yes everything else is via wifi. What I don't understand is it worked perfectly all summer. I was watching baseball from out in my yard. I will try your idea of connecting the  iMac with ethernet and see what happens. The wifi does show as completely full stregnth signal wherever I go in my house. Does the strength of the signal not necessarily mean a quality signal?

3 of 35 (10 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 31, 2013 8:56:48 AM
(0)
Expert

I recently had a router go south and it showed a strong signals but was repeatedly dropping connections.  I replaced it with the cheapest Linksys router that Best Buy had and end of problem.  Not sure if that is your problem of course.

I recently had a router go south and it showed a strong signals but was repeatedly dropping connections.  I replaced it with the cheapest Linksys router that Best Buy had and end of problem.  Not sure if that is your problem of course.

4 of 35 (10 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 31, 2013 10:05:15 AM
(0)
Mentor

Where it is happening across all devices, I would first point at your wireless network. Choppy is the first symptom of inadequate network bandwidth. Are you broadcasting a wireless N signal or G?  Keep in mind that if you have connected a G device to an N network, it will default your entire network to G speeds which are simply not adequate for HD streaming and barely usable for SD streams.

So, you may want to log into the router and audit your connected devices. Then double check that you don't have a cell phone or something that could be dragging the entire network down.

Where it is happening across all devices, I would first point at your wireless network. Choppy is the first symptom of inadequate network bandwidth. Are you broadcasting a wireless N signal or G?  Keep in mind that if you have connected a G device to an N network, it will default your entire network to G speeds which are simply not adequate for HD streaming and barely usable for SD streams.

So, you may want to log into the router and audit your connected devices. Then double check that you don't have a cell phone or something that could be dragging the entire network down.

5 of 35 (10 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 31, 2013 10:21:34 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Perhaps a neighbor just activated a new WiFi router that's on the same frequency as yours.  Most WiFi Routers and Access Points are smart enough to move to different channels if they detect interference, but there are only a few channels they can choose from, and sometimes people set their WiFi devices to use a fixed channel.

Perhaps a neighbor just activated a new WiFi router that's on the same frequency as yours.  Most WiFi Routers and Access Points are smart enough to move to different channels if they detect interference, but there are only a few channels they can choose from, and sometimes people set their WiFi devices to use a fixed channel.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 35 (10 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 31, 2013 1:56:20 PM
(0)
Teacher

I am on N. All that is connected is my iMac, iPad, 2 iPhone 4S's and a Macbook Pro. As far as I know thew are all wireless N. As someone else said, I have noticed a couple of neighborhood wireless routers coming up lately too. I guess I just have to play around with a combination of these answers and see what works.

I am on N. All that is connected is my iMac, iPad, 2 iPhone 4S's and a Macbook Pro. As far as I know thew are all wireless N. As someone else said, I have noticed a couple of neighborhood wireless routers coming up lately too. I guess I just have to play around with a combination of these answers and see what works.

7 of 35 (10 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 31, 2013 3:24:17 PM
(0)
Teacher

Ok, I just checked netflix. It streams perfectly on the iMac on the same network. I haven't tried any of the suggestions yet. Now I'm not so sure its my router. I'm still going to go through the other ideas, but this is puzzling. Anyone heard of problems with iOS 7 or OS X Mavericks that could cause my issue? Everything I have is updated to the newest OS.

Ok, I just checked netflix. It streams perfectly on the iMac on the same network. I haven't tried any of the suggestions yet. Now I'm not so sure its my router. I'm still going to go through the other ideas, but this is puzzling. Anyone heard of problems with iOS 7 or OS X Mavericks that could cause my issue? Everything I have is updated to the newest OS.

8 of 35 (10 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 31, 2013 6:12:18 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I am also running Mavericks and my GenieGo app on my Mac runs flawlessly

I am also running Mavericks and my GenieGo app on my Mac runs flawlessly

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

9 of 35 (10 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 31, 2013 6:31:33 PM
(0)
Teacher

Are you wired or wireless?

Are you wired or wireless?

10 of 35 (10 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 31, 2013 6:32:06 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Both

Both

11 of 35 (10 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 2, 2013 9:33:12 AM
(0)
Teacher

Ok, I connected the macbook pro via ethernet. Same playback issue. I took an old Apple TV off the wireless network and hooked to ethernet. No help. I replaced the wire to the GenieGo. No help. I changed what port the GenieGo was connected to. No help. Only thing left is a wired ethernet router that connects the mini genie to a second tv that is old, probably a 10-100 speed. Could that slow the whole thing down? My only problem with that is it was connected previous to my current issue.

Ok, I connected the macbook pro via ethernet. Same playback issue. I took an old Apple TV off the wireless network and hooked to ethernet. No help. I replaced the wire to the GenieGo. No help. I changed what port the GenieGo was connected to. No help. Only thing left is a wired ethernet router that connects the mini genie to a second tv that is old, probably a 10-100 speed. Could that slow the whole thing down? My only problem with that is it was connected previous to my current issue.

12 of 35 (10 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 2, 2013 12:31:53 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

tell us about your network configuration.  Include model numbers

tell us about your network configuration.  Include model numbers

13 of 35 (10 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 2, 2013 2:35:37 PM
(0)
Expert

Did you ever install the software on a hard wired computer?  That will tell you if your entire problem is your wireless or whether it's something different. 

Did you ever install the software on a hard wired computer?  That will tell you if your entire problem is your wireless or whether it's something different. 

14 of 35 (10 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 2, 2013 4:32:40 PM
(0)
Teacher

Yes

Yes

15 of 35 (10 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 2, 2013 5:09:43 PM
(0)
Teacher

Verizon DSL Router is a D-Link DSL-2750B

Connected via ethernet to that

is a 5 year old Apple Airport Extreme Version 7.6.4

GenieGo

HR-34

Computers, phones and iPad connect wireless to Apple Airport

A second newer Apple TV and a TV in basement are connected to the Apple Airport via ethernet with a small 4 port ethernet hub. That mini genie box at that TV is also connected to the ethernet hub. For some reason the Directv installer connected the mini genie to the network and runs the HR34 connection through the DTV wire.

I tried connecting directly to the d-link wirelessly and wired. Wouldn't work either way.

A couple of days ago I turned off wireless on the D-link because I thought having the 2 wireless on might have been my issue. It didn't help. But now I can get any connection to it wirelessly to work.

Verizon DSL Router is a D-Link DSL-2750B

Connected via ethernet to that

is a 5 year old Apple Airport Extreme Version 7.6.4

GenieGo

HR-34

Computers, phones and iPad connect wireless to Apple Airport

A second newer Apple TV and a TV in basement are connected to the Apple Airport via ethernet with a small 4 port ethernet hub. That mini genie box at that TV is also connected to the ethernet hub. For some reason the Directv installer connected the mini genie to the network and runs the HR34 connection through the DTV wire.

I tried connecting directly to the d-link wirelessly and wired. Wouldn't work either way.

A couple of days ago I turned off wireless on the D-link because I thought having the 2 wireless on might have been my issue. It didn't help. But now I can get any connection to it wirelessly to work.

16 of 35 (10 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 2, 2013 6:33:51 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

for starters, is not a good idea to have two DHCP servers running on a network.  you need two "bridge" either the gateway or the AE. see page 80 here to bridge the gateway

http://www.dlink.com/-/media/Consumer_Products/DSL/DSL%202750B/Manual/DSL_2750B_Manual_US.pdf

Also you did not mention how is your HR34 connected to the internet.  I am also curious as to the Genie mine connected via ethernet as it has no ethernet ports.  Please explain

for starters, is not a good idea to have two DHCP servers running on a network.  you need two "bridge" either the gateway or the AE. see page 80 here to bridge the gateway

http://www.dlink.com/-/media/Consumer_Products/DSL/DSL%202750B/Manual/DSL_2750B_Manual_US.pdf

Also you did not mention how is your HR34 connected to the internet.  I am also curious as to the Genie mine connected via ethernet as it has no ethernet ports.  Please explain

17 of 35 (10 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2013 6:40:18 PM
(0)
Teacher

The DSL Router is already setup in bridge mode. I've had this same setup for 8 years. As far as the HR 34, the DTV installer put some kind of adaptor in the cable that goes to the mini. It has the ethernet plugged into it. They told me that the HR34 would get its internet feed from the mini through their cabling. I thought it sounded screwy but he seemed like he knew what he was doing.

The DSL Router is already setup in bridge mode. I've had this same setup for 8 years. As far as the HR 34, the DTV installer put some kind of adaptor in the cable that goes to the mini. It has the ethernet plugged into it. They told me that the HR34 would get its internet feed from the mini through their cabling. I thought it sounded screwy but he seemed like he knew what he was doing.

18 of 35 (10 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2013 6:43:30 PM
(0)
Teacher

Something seems wrong here. It looks like the d-Link and the Airport are both in bridge mode. Could that be right?

Something seems wrong here. It looks like the d-Link and the Airport are both in bridge mode. Could that be right?

19 of 35 (10 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2013 6:46:17 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

No, only one needs to be in bridge mode

No, only one needs to be in bridge mode

20 of 35 (10 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2013 6:53:50 PM
(0)
Teacher

I understand only 1 should be in bridge mode, but should it be working now with both in?

I understand only 1 should be in bridge mode, but should it be working now with both in?

21 of 35 (10 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2013 6:59:52 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

no, because there is no DHCP server active

no, because there is no DHCP server active

22 of 35 (10 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2013 7:22:52 PM
(0)
Teacher

Do I have to use the d-Link to connect to Verizon DSL or can I just directly connect with the airport?

Do I have to use the d-Link to connect to Verizon DSL or can I just directly connect with the airport?

23 of 35 (10 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2013 7:26:28 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

you need the D-Link.

you need the D-Link.

24 of 35 (10 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2013 7:27:40 PM
(0)
Teacher

The more I'm looking at what I think I have to do I might have to call someone who knows more than me. Some of this is Greek to me. I'm gonna try to read through a lot of it when I'm more than 1/2 awake and then decide what to do.

The more I'm looking at what I think I have to do I might have to call someone who knows more than me. Some of this is Greek to me. I'm gonna try to read through a lot of it when I'm more than 1/2 awake and then decide what to do.

25 of 35 (10 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2013 7:32:21 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

is very easy to switch the AE from bridge mode.  all it takes is a couple of clicks. I also have an AE, is very easy to set up.

is very easy to switch the AE from bridge mode.  all it takes is a couple of clicks. I also have an AE, is very easy to set up.

26 of 35 (10 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2013 7:43:45 PM
(0)
Mentor

The more I read this, the more I am convinced that there are some network issues going on. You'll have to forgive me since I'm not familiar with the Apple ecosystem so I am not sure which device specifically does what. It sounds like you are connecting the Airport Extreme via ethernet cable to the D-Link DSL Gateway and using the Airport Extreme as you'd main router. You need to make sure DHCP is active on the Airport Extreme and disabled on everything else. I'm trying to also figure out if the devices you are calling 'bridge' are actually bridges. Are you saying that the Airport picks up the wireless signal and you have several devices connected via cable to it or is it an Access Point?

The more I read this, the more I am convinced that there are some network issues going on. You'll have to forgive me since I'm not familiar with the Apple ecosystem so I am not sure which device specifically does what. It sounds like you are connecting the Airport Extreme via ethernet cable to the D-Link DSL Gateway and using the Airport Extreme as you'd main router. You need to make sure DHCP is active on the Airport Extreme and disabled on everything else. I'm trying to also figure out if the devices you are calling 'bridge' are actually bridges. Are you saying that the Airport picks up the wireless signal and you have several devices connected via cable to it or is it an Access Point?

27 of 35 (10 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2013 7:51:12 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

"Bridge" mode on a router or gateway is when the DHCP is turned off

"Bridge" mode on a router or gateway is when the DHCP is turned off

28 of 35 (10 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2013 8:04:28 PM
(0)
Mentor

A bridge is used to combine to small area networks. A router without DHCP turned on could be a bridge, Access Point, Repeater or just a switch.

A bridge is used to combine to small area networks. A router without DHCP turned on could be a bridge, Access Point, Repeater or just a switch.

29 of 35 (10 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 5, 2013 5:10:12 AM
(0)
Teacher

In the airport utility on the Internet tab it says connected via dhcp.

Wireless Tab says Network Mode- Create a wireless network

Network Tab says: Router Mode - Off (Bridge Mode) -- is this saying the router its connected to is in bridge mode or that itself is in bridge mode?

This is the Services/IP Address Distribution tab on the d-link

NameServiceSubnet MaskDynamic IP RangeAction
LAN BridgeDHCP Server255.255.255.0192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.254
Virtual WANDisabled

This is the network map.

WAN DSL
Typical Security
LAN
LAN 1
MarkLazskysiPad
LAN 2
Pattis-MBP
LAN 3
airport-extreme
DIRECTV-HR34-4ECCFAAA
Pattis-MBP
MarkLazysiPhone
Patti-Lazowskys
AppleTV
HP2056A4
Pattis-iPhone
MarkLazskysiPad
COM-MID1
LivingRmAppleTV
Marks-iMac
(you)
new-host
monicas-iPhone
new-host-2
AppleTV
LAN 4

Nomad00905C
GenieGo

In the airport utility on the Internet tab it says connected via dhcp.

Wireless Tab says Network Mode- Create a wireless network

Network Tab says: Router Mode - Off (Bridge Mode) -- is this saying the router its connected to is in bridge mode or that itself is in bridge mode?

This is the Services/IP Address Distribution tab on the d-link

NameServiceSubnet MaskDynamic IP RangeAction
LAN BridgeDHCP Server255.255.255.0192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.254
Virtual WANDisabled

This is the network map.

WAN DSL
Typical Security
LAN
LAN 1
MarkLazskysiPad
LAN 2
Pattis-MBP
LAN 3
airport-extreme
DIRECTV-HR34-4ECCFAAA
Pattis-MBP
MarkLazysiPhone
Patti-Lazowskys
AppleTV
HP2056A4
Pattis-iPhone
MarkLazskysiPad
COM-MID1
LivingRmAppleTV
Marks-iMac
(you)
new-host
monicas-iPhone
new-host-2
AppleTV
LAN 4

Nomad00905C
GenieGo

30 of 35 (10 Views)