Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forums

Posted Sep 23, 2013
9:43:38 AM
I can log in from outside the house and see the recordings on my DVR'S. When i go to download it says that I can only download in the house. I thought that this feature was available

Still not time to give up the sling box. 

Still not time to give up the sling box. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Sep 23, 2013 11:19:12 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

That's correct.  I'm not sure, however, if out-of-home streaming works outside the US. 

In the GenieGo software, when you're connected to your home network or the internet, you will see your DVR Playlist(s), and you can select "Watch Now".  Then the recording is streamed to your GenieGo Client (iPhone, laptop, etc.).   But if you're outside your home network and don't have an internet connection, your GenieGo Client can only view recordings that were downloaded to your Client, which must happen beforehand when you're on the same network as your GenieGo box.  Make sense?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Accepted Solution

I can log in from outside the house and see the recordings on my DVR'S. When i go to download it says that I can only download in the house. I thought that this feature was available

22 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(22)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2013 10:00:28 AM
(0)
Expert

The GenieGO OOH (Out Of Home) service allows watching programs that are recorded on your DVR.  They cannot be recorded on the mobile device with OOH, you must be on the same network as the DVR in order to record to the mobile device.

If you aren't aware, copying a program is a two step process.  First is the preparation that occurs between the DVR and the GenieGO which basically creates a SD version of your HD or SD program.  For this the mobile device does not need to be connected and the GenieGO software does not need to be running.  The second step is the actual download or copy from the GenieGO to the mobile device.  For that the device must be on the home network and the software must be up and running.

The GenieGO OOH (Out Of Home) service allows watching programs that are recorded on your DVR.  They cannot be recorded on the mobile device with OOH, you must be on the same network as the DVR in order to record to the mobile device.

If you aren't aware, copying a program is a two step process.  First is the preparation that occurs between the DVR and the GenieGO which basically creates a SD version of your HD or SD program.  For this the mobile device does not need to be connected and the GenieGO software does not need to be running.  The second step is the actual download or copy from the GenieGO to the mobile device.  For that the device must be on the home network and the software must be up and running.

Re: I can log in from outside the house and see the recordings on my DVR'S. When i go to download it says that I can only download in the house. I thought that this feature was available

2 of 23 (28 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2013 10:45:16 AM
(0)
Mentor

please explain how do i do that?  I can watch out of home YES??? BUT not download?

please explain how do i do that?  I can watch out of home YES??? BUT not download?

Re: I can log in from outside the house and see the recordings on my DVR'S. When i go to download it says that I can only download in the house. I thought that this feature was available

3 of 23 (28 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2013 10:57:06 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

That's correct.  To view your recordings out-of-home requires a suitable WiFi/Internet connection, but you cannot download recordings for later viewing.   When you're inside your home network, you can actually download recordings to your iPhone, PC, etc for later viewing (up to 30-days), even if you're someplace with no internet connection (like inside an airplane).

That's correct.  To view your recordings out-of-home requires a suitable WiFi/Internet connection, but you cannot download recordings for later viewing.   When you're inside your home network, you can actually download recordings to your iPhone, PC, etc for later viewing (up to 30-days), even if you're someplace with no internet connection (like inside an airplane).

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 23 (28 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2013 11:04:44 AM
(0)
Mentor

ok...this sounds a bit better...I will be out of the country for 6 months.. ( I do have sling box but was looking for an alternative)..so if im in my other house..and i am on wifi...i can watch my genie on my ios device WATCH IT...not download it?? Is that correct??? Not really sure what the difference is??? Is there a button to PRESS WATCH

ok...this sounds a bit better...I will be out of the country for 6 months.. ( I do have sling box but was looking for an alternative)..so if im in my other house..and i am on wifi...i can watch my genie on my ios device WATCH IT...not download it?? Is that correct??? Not really sure what the difference is??? Is there a button to PRESS WATCH

5 of 23 (28 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Sep 23, 2013 11:19:12 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

That's correct.  I'm not sure, however, if out-of-home streaming works outside the US. 

In the GenieGo software, when you're connected to your home network or the internet, you will see your DVR Playlist(s), and you can select "Watch Now".  Then the recording is streamed to your GenieGo Client (iPhone, laptop, etc.).   But if you're outside your home network and don't have an internet connection, your GenieGo Client can only view recordings that were downloaded to your Client, which must happen beforehand when you're on the same network as your GenieGo box.  Make sense?

6 of 23 (28 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2013 11:25:51 AM
(0)
Mentor

now it does thanks...

I will test from my house in SA...clearly not time to give up my slingboxes....which work flawlessly

now it does thanks...

I will test from my house in SA...clearly not time to give up my slingboxes....which work flawlessly

7 of 23 (28 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2013 12:01:15 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
just FYI, in order to "watch it" it must be recorded on the DVR, that is if you want to watch live TV,  you must first set the program to record via the web or the DirecTV scheduler app
just FYI, in order to "watch it" it must be recorded on the DVR, that is if you want to watch live TV,  you must first set the program to record via the web or the DirecTV scheduler app

8 of 23 (28 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2013 12:06:20 PM
(0)
Mentor

thanks for that info..i cant even remember the last time i watched anything live....everything is recorded...even sports events....

i will be landing in 2 weeks and will test out these suggestions..if in fact it even works :smileyconfused:...seems silly to have it if it cant work outside USA....especially with Slingbox working flawlessly the past 3 to 4 years

thanks for that info..i cant even remember the last time i watched anything live....everything is recorded...even sports events....

i will be landing in 2 weeks and will test out these suggestions..if in fact it even works :smileyconfused:...seems silly to have it if it cant work outside USA....especially with Slingbox working flawlessly the past 3 to 4 years

9 of 23 (28 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2013 12:20:51 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
there are contracts reason why it would not work outside of the US
there are contracts reason why it would not work outside of the US

10 of 23 (28 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2013 1:29:15 PM
(0)
Mentor

IS THAT FOR DEFINATE???? it definately doesnt work outside USA??? i guess i can download to my always on desktop and use logmein....

just trying to understand why it would not be available....if they are touting it as outside the house...

IS THAT FOR DEFINATE???? it definately doesnt work outside USA??? i guess i can download to my always on desktop and use logmein....

just trying to understand why it would not be available....if they are touting it as outside the house...

11 of 23 (28 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2013 1:53:50 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I had asked some of my DirecTV contacts about using out-of-home GenieGo streaming outside the US, but never got a clear answer.  So it might work in some countries, but not others.   Let us know if it works for you.

I had asked some of my DirecTV contacts about using out-of-home GenieGo streaming outside the US, but never got a clear answer.  So it might work in some countries, but not others.   Let us know if it works for you.

12 of 23 (28 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2014 7:56:29 PM
(0)
Teacher

Did we ever get a definitive answer here?

Did we ever get a definitive answer here?

13 of 23 (28 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2014 8:45:25 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

No.   Based on my own experience, sometimes it works out-of-country, sometimes it doesn't. 

No.   Based on my own experience, sometimes it works out-of-country, sometimes it doesn't. 

14 of 23 (28 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2014 8:58:37 PM
(0)
Teacher

Can you be a little more specific as to your experiences?  Where did it work?  Where didn't it/

Can you be a little more specific as to your experiences?  Where did it work?  Where didn't it/

15 of 23 (28 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2014 9:41:22 PM
(0)
Mentor

Works for me.  I called today and they were nice.  We made changes to the router.  Adding ports to the nomad.  And now it works.  I disabled the wifi and am on 3g.  It works.  My android alcatel one touch evolve 3g I got at best buy for 50 bucks no contract tmobile works.  No pixelation.  And it lets me download the shows.  Or watch live now and no downloading.  It said preparing and then download.  I cancelled cuz I have no space on the phone.  But it did work.  So you can download outside of home.  I'm in my bedroom.  But 3g is basically like it thinks your outside of home.  Cuz before changes to my router it worked and as soon I shutoff wifi and went on 3g it said out of home not setup.  Now it works so it is like out of home.  And it does download.

Works for me.  I called today and they were nice.  We made changes to the router.  Adding ports to the nomad.  And now it works.  I disabled the wifi and am on 3g.  It works.  My android alcatel one touch evolve 3g I got at best buy for 50 bucks no contract tmobile works.  No pixelation.  And it lets me download the shows.  Or watch live now and no downloading.  It said preparing and then download.  I cancelled cuz I have no space on the phone.  But it did work.  So you can download outside of home.  I'm in my bedroom.  But 3g is basically like it thinks your outside of home.  Cuz before changes to my router it worked and as soon I shutoff wifi and went on 3g it said out of home not setup.  Now it works so it is like out of home.  And it does download.

16 of 23 (28 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2014 11:03:41 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

It's not necessarily a country-specific thing.  I travel frequently to Canad, Europe and Asia.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  I've never figured out the pattern.  So your mileage may vary. Good luck.

It's not necessarily a country-specific thing.  I travel frequently to Canad, Europe and Asia.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  I've never figured out the pattern.  So your mileage may vary. Good luck.

17 of 23 (28 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 10, 2014 5:32:27 PM
(0)
Teacher

Works like a dream from the UK.  Full access to all my DVR's.

Works like a dream from the UK.  Full access to all my DVR's.

Re: I can log in from outside the house and see the recordings on my DVR'S. When i go to download it says that I can only download in the house.  I thought that this feature was available

18 of 23 (28 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2014 5:47:24 PM
(0)
Tutor

I am having trouble now watching from my work office PC.

As the computer you will look at dvr recorded shows will be OUT OF COUNTRY,

it may be impossible to ever watch any show recorded on DVR.

The answer techs on this forum tell me the computer MUST FIRST be ACTIVATED IN HOUSE.

Do not go to U.K. hoping to watch with a device that you did not have at home and TAKE THERE.

This whole design stink seems patently impossible in todays hi tech environments,

but it goes the way of the audio CD that you cant record or copy from.

I choose to believe for the time being that there is a way because I have a will.

If anyone else out there knows the answer to this problem I would truly like to know.

Here I go to research Slingbox.

I am having trouble now watching from my work office PC.

As the computer you will look at dvr recorded shows will be OUT OF COUNTRY,

it may be impossible to ever watch any show recorded on DVR.

The answer techs on this forum tell me the computer MUST FIRST be ACTIVATED IN HOUSE.

Do not go to U.K. hoping to watch with a device that you did not have at home and TAKE THERE.

This whole design stink seems patently impossible in todays hi tech environments,

but it goes the way of the audio CD that you cant record or copy from.

I choose to believe for the time being that there is a way because I have a will.

If anyone else out there knows the answer to this problem I would truly like to know.

Here I go to research Slingbox.

19 of 23 (28 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2014 6:07:08 AM
(0)
Teacher

Why do you think slingbox gives you an advantage over genie?  all sling is, last time I checked, is a gateway box to a dvr.  Genie is the same with storage.

I spend two weeks in the UK this month and other than issues with poor hotel wireless, Genie worked flawlessly.  I watched new content recorded on a dvr that after and recorded content from previous days.  I had also downloaded content to my laptop prior to my departure.

Don't understand the issue with having to having it on the home network for registration.  That only needs to happen once.  After that, you're good to go.

As to the comment about not being able to burn programs, the reasons for that should be fairly obvious.  If you're not sure what I mean, just check out bittorrenting things (is that the correct use of the word??)

Why do you think slingbox gives you an advantage over genie?  all sling is, last time I checked, is a gateway box to a dvr.  Genie is the same with storage.

I spend two weeks in the UK this month and other than issues with poor hotel wireless, Genie worked flawlessly.  I watched new content recorded on a dvr that after and recorded content from previous days.  I had also downloaded content to my laptop prior to my departure.

Don't understand the issue with having to having it on the home network for registration.  That only needs to happen once.  After that, you're good to go.

As to the comment about not being able to burn programs, the reasons for that should be fairly obvious.  If you're not sure what I mean, just check out bittorrenting things (is that the correct use of the word??)

20 of 23 (28 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2014 9:21:28 AM
(0)
Expert

jimcander wrote:

This poster (builtmachine) is seeking to watch his GenieGO link on a work computer that he is unable to bring home to activate.  The problem he is having is built into the software.  It really has nothing to do with the subject at hand in this thread.

jimcander wrote:

This poster (builtmachine) is seeking to watch his GenieGO link on a work computer that he is unable to bring home to activate.  The problem he is having is built into the software.  It really has nothing to do with the subject at hand in this thread.

21 of 23 (28 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2014 7:19:50 AM
(0)
Teacher

Gotcha...  no tangential information allowed.

Gotcha...  no tangential information allowed.

22 of 23 (28 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2014 12:45:42 PM
(0)
Expert

Tangential information is certainly welcome if it builds the data, but in this particular case the poster I referred to went on and on in another thread because he couldn't activate a computer that he couldn't bring home.  I felt that him starting in on another's thread wasn't quite right and offered nothing to the original poster.

Tangential information is certainly welcome if it builds the data, but in this particular case the poster I referred to went on and on in another thread because he couldn't activate a computer that he couldn't bring home.  I felt that him starting in on another's thread wasn't quite right and offered nothing to the original poster.

23 of 23 (28 Views)