Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Dec 20, 2013
5:57:44 PM
Have genie system. One of sat tv's frequently loses it signal for under a minute before returning. Check cable etc no luck????

Not sure Genie upgrade was wise.  Problems constantly.  Newest one involved one (of 4) sat. TV's is regularly losing signal for under a minute before it returns.  Checked cable, reset, no help...  Any suggestion other than leaving Direct tv???

Not sure Genie upgrade was wise.  Problems constantly.  Newest one involved one (of 4) sat. TV's is regularly losing signal for under a minute before it returns.  Checked cable, reset, no help...  Any suggestion other than leaving Direct tv???

Have genie system. One of sat tv's frequently loses it signal for under a minute before returning. Check cable etc no luck????

10 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(10)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 20, 2013 7:03:57 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

It would help to know ....

Model numbers of your DVR/Genie boxes?  Which is the "bad" one?

How is the "bad" Genie connected to your TV?

Have you tried swapping DVR/Receivers to see if the problem follows the "bad" Genie box or stays with just that TV?

It would help to know ....

Model numbers of your DVR/Genie boxes?  Which is the "bad" one?

How is the "bad" Genie connected to your TV?

Have you tried swapping DVR/Receivers to see if the problem follows the "bad" Genie box or stays with just that TV?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Have genie system. One of sat tv's frequently loses it signal for under a minute before returning. Check cable etc no luck????

2 of 11 (32 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 20, 2013 7:57:00 PM
(0)
Tutor

model number of unit is CV1-700, it is connected to tv via both hdmi and  12pin connector (cause directv said a know issue with my vizio tv with hdmi  Tried switching boxes with a tv working find and.................got no signal at all!!   I'm very confused.

Larry

model number of unit is CV1-700, it is connected to tv via both hdmi and  12pin connector (cause directv said a know issue with my vizio tv with hdmi  Tried switching boxes with a tv working find and.................got no signal at all!!   I'm very confused.

Larry

Re: Have genie system. One of sat tv's frequently loses it signal for under a minute before returning. Check cable etc no luck????

3 of 11 (32 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 20, 2013 11:26:41 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Doublecheck your model number .... I'm guessing it's actually a "C41-700".  This is Genie Client box. 

What is the exact error message on the TV when it "loses signal"?   Is it the TV telling you that the video signal is lost, or is it the Genie DVR saying that the satellite signal is lost?   I'm guessing it's the video signal.   If that's true, then does this happen with BOTH the TV's HDMI Input and the 12-pin connector (Composite or Component Video) Input?

Doublecheck your model number .... I'm guessing it's actually a "C41-700".  This is Genie Client box. 

What is the exact error message on the TV when it "loses signal"?   Is it the TV telling you that the video signal is lost, or is it the Genie DVR saying that the satellite signal is lost?   I'm guessing it's the video signal.   If that's true, then does this happen with BOTH the TV's HDMI Input and the 12-pin connector (Composite or Component Video) Input?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 11 (32 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2013 12:13:21 AM
(0)
Tutor

Your are correct on model number.  There have been NO error messages, simple loss of video and sound.  Situation has become worst.  When tv working simple attempt to change channel stops signal.  Some functions of remote will not operate properly.  Cannot get menu to come up.  I have previously tried switching from hdmi and component and has no effect on problem.   Loss of signals now is lasting for longer period of time.  Really cannot watch with any degree of effectiveness.  Did run a dvd via another unit and the tv work properly with no lost of signal, not sure what that proved.  TV is a  vizio that is little over 4 years old, wonder if it possibly going bad!!!  My confusion and frustration continues.  

Larry

Your are correct on model number.  There have been NO error messages, simple loss of video and sound.  Situation has become worst.  When tv working simple attempt to change channel stops signal.  Some functions of remote will not operate properly.  Cannot get menu to come up.  I have previously tried switching from hdmi and component and has no effect on problem.   Loss of signals now is lasting for longer period of time.  Really cannot watch with any degree of effectiveness.  Did run a dvd via another unit and the tv work properly with no lost of signal, not sure what that proved.  TV is a  vizio that is little over 4 years old, wonder if it possibly going bad!!!  My confusion and frustration continues.  

Larry

5 of 11 (32 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2013 9:58:11 AM
(0)
Expert

Here is the very first thing you should do.  Remove the HDMI cable from the receiver and TV.  Leave the 10 pin dongle connected.  Why?  Each time the resolution changes in the received signal, the connected HDMI cable sends a compliance signal to the TV.  The lack of or slow delivery of the compliance signal will blank out the receivers output, thus the black screen.  Removal of the HDMI cable will eliminate all of this and gove you quick response.

Here is the very first thing you should do.  Remove the HDMI cable from the receiver and TV.  Leave the 10 pin dongle connected.  Why?  Each time the resolution changes in the received signal, the connected HDMI cable sends a compliance signal to the TV.  The lack of or slow delivery of the compliance signal will blank out the receivers output, thus the black screen.  Removal of the HDMI cable will eliminate all of this and gove you quick response.

Re: Have genie system.  One of sat tv's frequently loses it signal for under a minute before returning. Check cable etc no luck????

6 of 11 (32 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2013 4:44:51 PM
(0)
Tutor

Well, since original post all the tvs are screwed up.   The minis all keep losing signal when on and if  I press most any remote buttons.  The main unit is only one with continual reception but on and of Pandora.  What a mess.  After reading the tech blogs I am only further confused and believe the genie system is unfixable.  Seems my only solution is to get rid of DTV but I'm sure that is going to be a battle. Signing a contract for another two years is not worth much if the system doesn't work!!!!!!! Tech support is again coming out but I have little faith they well solve the problems.  I think the guys that designed genie also did the Obama health care web site.

Well, since original post all the tvs are screwed up.   The minis all keep losing signal when on and if  I press most any remote buttons.  The main unit is only one with continual reception but on and of Pandora.  What a mess.  After reading the tech blogs I am only further confused and believe the genie system is unfixable.  Seems my only solution is to get rid of DTV but I'm sure that is going to be a battle. Signing a contract for another two years is not worth much if the system doesn't work!!!!!!! Tech support is again coming out but I have little faith they well solve the problems.  I think the guys that designed genie also did the Obama health care web site.

7 of 11 (32 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2013 6:29:56 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Hopefully the DirecTV techs can figure out what's wrong.  The vast majority of these installations work fine, so hopefully it's something simple. 

How many Mini Clients do you have?   Losing audio/video is typically a problem with the AV connection between the Receiver and the TV, not a problem with the main the Genie DVR.  

Hopefully the DirecTV techs can figure out what's wrong.  The vast majority of these installations work fine, so hopefully it's something simple. 

How many Mini Clients do you have?   Losing audio/video is typically a problem with the AV connection between the Receiver and the TV, not a problem with the main the Genie DVR.  

8 of 11 (32 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2013 7:01:58 PM
(0)
Tutor

I have three mini units

On Sat, Dec 21, 2013 at 6:30 PM, litzdog911 <

I have three mini units

On Sat, Dec 21, 2013 at 6:30 PM, litzdog911 <

9 of 11 (32 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2013 8:39:22 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

And all three have the exact same symptoms?  Have you tried this, in this order?  ....

1. Remove power from each Genie Mini Client
  2. Reset the main Genie DVR (red button behind front panel access card door)
  3. Repower each Mini

And all three have the exact same symptoms?  Have you tried this, in this order?  ....

1. Remove power from each Genie Mini Client
  2. Reset the main Genie DVR (red button behind front panel access card door)
  3. Repower each Mini

10 of 11 (32 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 22, 2013 2:38:20 PM
(0)
Tutor

yes..............no help

On Sat, Dec 21, 2013 at 8:39 PM, litzdog911 <

yes..............no help

On Sat, Dec 21, 2013 at 8:39 PM, litzdog911 <

11 of 11 (32 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments