Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Community

Posted Dec 8, 2013
7:49:03 AM
View profile
GenieGo app will install but won't open on Android tablet (black screen)

I'm trying to get this app to work on a brand new (stock, unrooted) Dell Venue tablet with Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean.  It installs fine, but when I open the app all I see is a blank (black) screen, then Android says the app is unresponsive and prompts you to close the process and report the failure online.

I see from the Google Play reviews that there are a number of other Android tablet users who were not successful in installing/using this app (that also encountered a black screen too).  I'm not sure I can trust the list of officially supported devices because the app works fine on my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (not listed as supported) but doesn't work on my iPad (supported).  GenieGo works fine on my PC's and Samsung Galaxy Note 3 phones, so I know there is not a network configuration issue.

When I first got my Note 3, GenieGo would play locally downloaded programs but would not stream anything.  Then DirecTV updated their app and everything suddenly started working like it does on my PC clients.  Is this a case where the Dell Venue is just not compatible or supported yet, but in time, this product (and/or Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean) will be supported later?  I purchased the Dell Venue tablet specifically to use with GenieGo, so if it's never going to work, I will return it for a different product that I know will work with GenieGo.

I'm trying to get this app to work on a brand new (stock, unrooted) Dell Venue tablet with Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean.  It installs fine, but when I open the app all I see is a blank (black) screen, then Android says the app is unresponsive and prompts you to close the process and report the failure online.

I see from the Google Play reviews that there are a number of other Android tablet users who were not successful in installing/using this app (that also encountered a black screen too).  I'm not sure I can trust the list of officially supported devices because the app works fine on my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (not listed as supported) but doesn't work on my iPad (supported).  GenieGo works fine on my PC's and Samsung Galaxy Note 3 phones, so I know there is not a network configuration issue.

When I first got my Note 3, GenieGo would play locally downloaded programs but would not stream anything.  Then DirecTV updated their app and everything suddenly started working like it does on my PC clients.  Is this a case where the Dell Venue is just not compatible or supported yet, but in time, this product (and/or Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean) will be supported later?  I purchased the Dell Venue tablet specifically to use with GenieGo, so if it's never going to work, I will return it for a different product that I know will work with GenieGo.

GenieGo app will install but won't open on Android tablet (black screen)

21 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(21)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 8, 2013 10:14:39 AM
(0)
Expert

As I understand it the Dell Venue has a Windows 8.1 OS.  I would guess that the GenieGO Apps and software will update eventually to cover 8.1, but that is only an assumption on my part.  Directv never pre announces software updates so no one here could tell you for a fact.

As I understand it the Dell Venue has a Windows 8.1 OS.  I would guess that the GenieGO Apps and software will update eventually to cover 8.1, but that is only an assumption on my part.  Directv never pre announces software updates so no one here could tell you for a fact.

Re: GenieGo app will install but won't open on Android tablet (black screen)

2 of 22 (31 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 8, 2013 10:58:07 AM
(0)
Mentor

There are 2 versions of the Dell Venue: The regular Android version and the Windows "Pro" version. I have the Android version and the GenieGo app in question is the one available in the Google Play store.

There are 2 versions of the Dell Venue: The regular Android version and the Windows "Pro" version. I have the Android version and the GenieGo app in question is the one available in the Google Play store.

3 of 22 (31 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2013 12:16:33 PM
(0)
Mentor

DirecTV just released version 2.0 of the Android GenieGo app in the Play store today.  I was very hopeful, however I downloaded it and it still doesn't work on my Dell Venue tablet.

DirecTV just released version 2.0 of the Android GenieGo app in the Play store today.  I was very hopeful, however I downloaded it and it still doesn't work on my Dell Venue tablet.

4 of 22 (31 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 18, 2013 8:32:59 PM
(0)
Contributor

Correct.  Having same issue.  App does not work.  Sits on black screen inactive.  My Genie is up and running on iPad so I know the problem is android app 100%.

App is broken.

Correct.  Having same issue.  App does not work.  Sits on black screen inactive.  My Genie is up and running on iPad so I know the problem is android app 100%.

App is broken.

5 of 22 (31 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 19, 2013 1:08:03 PM
(0)
Mentor

Dell released an update for Android 4.3 today.  I uninstalled GenieGo, upgraded from 4.2.2 to 4.3, re-installed GenieGo, and it still goes to a blank screen. 

I learned something else though: I noticed that if I leave the GenieGo application running (at the blank black screen), it will completely fill up my device’s memory in a matter of hours.  I don’t know what the app is doing or what it’s downloading or creating in local memory, but it’s clearly doing something even though the screen is blank.

Please contact DirecTV (open a ticket, etc.) so they will address this soon!

Dell released an update for Android 4.3 today.  I uninstalled GenieGo, upgraded from 4.2.2 to 4.3, re-installed GenieGo, and it still goes to a blank screen. 

I learned something else though: I noticed that if I leave the GenieGo application running (at the blank black screen), it will completely fill up my device’s memory in a matter of hours.  I don’t know what the app is doing or what it’s downloading or creating in local memory, but it’s clearly doing something even though the screen is blank.

Please contact DirecTV (open a ticket, etc.) so they will address this soon!

6 of 22 (31 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 25, 2013 3:45:17 PM
(0)
Tutor

I've having this same exact issue on a brand new Asus MemoPad 10 running Android 4.2.2 - I also have another brand new Asus MemoPad 7 that is running it no problems... nothing but a blank screen after the install and attempting to open... ugh!!! the MemoPad 10 was a gift for my wife because directv is no longer supporting the iPad Gen 1 which she was using and the regular directv app would no longer work but the genie would work. now she has a new android tablet and the directv app works but not the geniego app. I should never have switched from TimeWarner cable in August, now I'm locked in this stupid 2 year contract with directv... directv apps/technologies are so buggy... this entire experience with directv has been a nightmare...

I've having this same exact issue on a brand new Asus MemoPad 10 running Android 4.2.2 - I also have another brand new Asus MemoPad 7 that is running it no problems... nothing but a blank screen after the install and attempting to open... ugh!!! the MemoPad 10 was a gift for my wife because directv is no longer supporting the iPad Gen 1 which she was using and the regular directv app would no longer work but the genie would work. now she has a new android tablet and the directv app works but not the geniego app. I should never have switched from TimeWarner cable in August, now I'm locked in this stupid 2 year contract with directv... directv apps/technologies are so buggy... this entire experience with directv has been a nightmare...

7 of 22 (31 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 26, 2013 3:45:43 AM
(0)
Expert

You need to do some careful review of the Directv App that is working on your Wife's new tablet.   The new App, released just a few days ago, combines all of the Directv functions in a single App, the Remote, all of the streaming and other functions and the GenieGO.  The latter requires a secondary setup in the Pad.  If it were mine, I'd delete all the Directv Apps you are currently running, do a reset, then download a fresh copy of the App.  Again, the GenieGO version will require some additional setup after the App is open and running.

You need to do some careful review of the Directv App that is working on your Wife's new tablet.   The new App, released just a few days ago, combines all of the Directv functions in a single App, the Remote, all of the streaming and other functions and the GenieGO.  The latter requires a secondary setup in the Pad.  If it were mine, I'd delete all the Directv Apps you are currently running, do a reset, then download a fresh copy of the App.  Again, the GenieGO version will require some additional setup after the App is open and running.

8 of 22 (31 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 26, 2013 4:28:53 AM
(0)
Tutor

Thank you for your help and assistance. I thought this new version supported geniego as well but when I go into the playlist area (which is where I am should be going) I can see the playlist items but nothing is viewable/streamable to the device. Only stream to tv is enabled/green. When I click watch, watch on phone, it states "this show is not currently available On Demand on your phone". Thank you again for your help.

Thank you for your help and assistance. I thought this new version supported geniego as well but when I go into the playlist area (which is where I am should be going) I can see the playlist items but nothing is viewable/streamable to the device. Only stream to tv is enabled/green. When I click watch, watch on phone, it states "this show is not currently available On Demand on your phone". Thank you again for your help.

9 of 22 (31 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 26, 2013 4:40:07 AM
(0)
Tutor

Ok, I've deleted all directv apps and am re-installing. On goggle play, I see a directv app for tablets released on dec 20, 2013 and a directv app released on dec 19, 2014 - which one should I be installing? When I install the directv for tablets app and try to run it, I get a "Unfortunately, DIRECTV has stopped" message and cannot go any further. I can install the reg app but the playlist items are not streamable.

Ok, I've deleted all directv apps and am re-installing. On goggle play, I see a directv app for tablets released on dec 20, 2013 and a directv app released on dec 19, 2014 - which one should I be installing? When I install the directv for tablets app and try to run it, I get a "Unfortunately, DIRECTV has stopped" message and cannot go any further. I can install the reg app but the playlist items are not streamable.

10 of 22 (31 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 26, 2013 5:17:36 AM
(0)
Mentor

The only version that comes up for me in my Google Play store is the Dec. 19 version. DirecTV apparently merged the GenieGo app functionality into the Apple (iOS) version of its DirecTV app, but I don't see the same in the Android version (on the phone, DirecTV told me the Android version would be updated later).  The only options when I view my playlist are to watch an on-demand version (not available for most programs) or to watch on TV.  The "Watch on Phone" or tablet option is grayed out.  I don't think GenieGo has been baked into the Android DirecTV app (yet).

Can anyone confirm that they can watch a recorded program on their playlist using the new (Dec 19) version of the DirecTV app?  And does it allow live streaming both inside the home and outside the home?

The only version that comes up for me in my Google Play store is the Dec. 19 version. DirecTV apparently merged the GenieGo app functionality into the Apple (iOS) version of its DirecTV app, but I don't see the same in the Android version (on the phone, DirecTV told me the Android version would be updated later).  The only options when I view my playlist are to watch an on-demand version (not available for most programs) or to watch on TV.  The "Watch on Phone" or tablet option is grayed out.  I don't think GenieGo has been baked into the Android DirecTV app (yet).

Can anyone confirm that they can watch a recorded program on their playlist using the new (Dec 19) version of the DirecTV app?  And does it allow live streaming both inside the home and outside the home?

11 of 22 (31 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 26, 2013 5:18:16 AM
(0)
Tutor

Please advise - pretty much stuck at this point. Thank you for your help. It is much appreciated.

Please advise - pretty much stuck at this point. Thank you for your help. It is much appreciated.

12 of 22 (31 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 26, 2013 5:22:45 AM
(0)
Tutor

You may need to select more apps by thus developer to see the tablet version.

You may need to select more apps by thus developer to see the tablet version.

13 of 22 (31 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 26, 2013 5:26:53 AM
(0)
Mentor

dcd wrote:

all of the streaming and other functions and the GenieGOThe latter requires a secondary setup in the PadAgain, the GenieGO version will require some additional setup after the App is open and running.

What is the additional setup?  (And how do I initiate it?)

dcd wrote:

all of the streaming and other functions and the GenieGOThe latter requires a secondary setup in the PadAgain, the GenieGO version will require some additional setup after the App is open and running.

What is the additional setup?  (And how do I initiate it?)

14 of 22 (31 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 26, 2013 5:37:47 AM
(0)
Mentor

I see the "DirecTV for Tablets" version (updated 12/20) when I click "See more" but after I install that version, it doesn't even open (says "unfortunately, DIRECTV has stopped" and asks to report the error).  I don't think this version is compatible with my device (which is why it didn't show up in my Play Store by default).  The phone version of the app opens and works fine on my tablet.  It just won't stream recorded programs (and the description for both phone and tablet versions of the app say the same thing, streaming On Demand or Live is possible, but no mention of recorded programs of GenieGo functionality).

I see the "DirecTV for Tablets" version (updated 12/20) when I click "See more" but after I install that version, it doesn't even open (says "unfortunately, DIRECTV has stopped" and asks to report the error).  I don't think this version is compatible with my device (which is why it didn't show up in my Play Store by default).  The phone version of the app opens and works fine on my tablet.  It just won't stream recorded programs (and the description for both phone and tablet versions of the app say the same thing, streaming On Demand or Live is possible, but no mention of recorded programs of GenieGo functionality).

15 of 22 (31 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 26, 2013 5:49:26 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

You are correct.  the Android version got GoPilot but it does not have GG built in yet.  iPad Version got CoPilot and GenieGo in one convenient app

You are correct.  the Android version got GoPilot but it does not have GG built in yet.  iPad Version got CoPilot and GenieGo in one convenient app

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

16 of 22 (31 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 26, 2013 5:56:55 AM
(0)
Expert

Unfortunately I only have the iOS App from the Apple store.  There was both a tablet and phone version  available (this is new, prior there was only the phone version).  I selected the App for our new iPad Air and loaded it.  After it was up and running, I pressed the "file" symbol in the upper left corner and selected "playlist" and I don't recall the exact wording but something to the effect "you must set up you device with GenieGO".  I already had 5 devices registered so we dropped the old iPad v1 and replaced it with the Air.  After the first time, when selecting the "Playlist" option, the GenieGO screen will appears with all the recorded programs on the Genie available to stream.

Note that for whatever reason, individual programs are hit or miss as to availability to play on the iPad, haven't figured that one out yet.

Unfortunately I only have the iOS App from the Apple store.  There was both a tablet and phone version  available (this is new, prior there was only the phone version).  I selected the App for our new iPad Air and loaded it.  After it was up and running, I pressed the "file" symbol in the upper left corner and selected "playlist" and I don't recall the exact wording but something to the effect "you must set up you device with GenieGO".  I already had 5 devices registered so we dropped the old iPad v1 and replaced it with the Air.  After the first time, when selecting the "Playlist" option, the GenieGO screen will appears with all the recorded programs on the Genie available to stream.

Note that for whatever reason, individual programs are hit or miss as to availability to play on the iPad, haven't figured that one out yet.

17 of 22 (31 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 26, 2013 5:57:18 AM
(0)
Tutor

So what do we need to install to get GenieGo to work then?

So what do we need to install to get GenieGo to work then?

18 of 22 (31 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 26, 2013 5:58:10 AM
(0)
Mentor

Thanks. Do anyone know when the Android version will include GenieGo too? If Genie Go doesn't work on my tablet now, it may still not work even if folded into the DirecTV app so I don't know if this is a silver bullet but I guess support for the standalone app is waning if they are concentrating on integrating GenieGo in the new DIRECTV app.

Thanks. Do anyone know when the Android version will include GenieGo too? If Genie Go doesn't work on my tablet now, it may still not work even if folded into the DirecTV app so I don't know if this is a silver bullet but I guess support for the standalone app is waning if they are concentrating on integrating GenieGo in the new DIRECTV app.

19 of 22 (31 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 26, 2013 5:59:35 AM
(0)
Expert

Ahhh, reading Peds48's comment piqued my memory.  I recall now that GenieGO is not part of the new release for Android devices.

Ahhh, reading Peds48's comment piqued my memory.  I recall now that GenieGO is not part of the new release for Android devices.

20 of 22 (31 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 26, 2013 6:01:04 AM
(0)
Mentor

Interesting. Do you still have to "prepare" programs in your Genie in order to view them? Or is your entire playlist available?

Interesting. Do you still have to "prepare" programs in your Genie in order to view them? Or is your entire playlist available?

21 of 22 (31 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 26, 2013 6:05:13 AM
(0)
Expert

On the iPad, GenieGO is a two tiered availability.  You can stream (watch) any program that resides on one of your HD DVRs or Genie without any preparation, so long as your Pad is connected to the Internet.  If you wish to watch a program while the Pad is not on the Internet you must prepare then download the program to the Pad.  That part hasn't changed.

On the iPad, GenieGO is a two tiered availability.  You can stream (watch) any program that resides on one of your HD DVRs or Genie without any preparation, so long as your Pad is connected to the Internet.  If you wish to watch a program while the Pad is not on the Internet you must prepare then download the program to the Pad.  That part hasn't changed.

22 of 22 (31 Views)