Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Community

Posted Sep 23, 2013
3:30:43 PM
View profile
GenieGO keeps resetting ip address and ports

Sometimes it happens within seconds if I just close the GenieGo system info window and then reopen it without doing anything else. Mostly it happens after I gather the ip address and ports and using Airport Utility edit my time capsule to update the information. AFter the updating process I often get "an error occurred while updating the configuration". Sometimes I have to reboot the Time capsule to get it to work and that reboots the GenieGO and  changes the settings but often the update seems to work but when I check the system info again, the ip address and/or the ports are different.

IS there a way to set a static ip address?

I think the GenieGo is bad. I have had it set up for "out of home" successfully twice. The first time I went out of town and it did not work. Even worse the 15 hours of programs that I downloaded to my ipad disappeared in less than 2 weeks before I even watched one program .

The second time was today after 45 minutes on the phone with tech support, it finally tested successfully  on the macbook pro and the macbook air but the ipad showed that "out of home" was not set up. So I rebooted everything and tried again only to find the ip address and ports changing by the minute.

Finally today after spending 1 1/2 hours on the phone with the a directv tech I had had enough and told them to send me another unit or I quit. They are sending out a tech with a new unit and I hope this one works. The tech on the phone told me the problem was with my router which is a brand new time capsule. But since I saw the ip address  change on the GenieGo system info page without any router interaction, I refuse to accept that solution.

So my hope is that someone out there will know how to set a static ip address on the genieGO or tell me that it is a problem with the Time Capsule router so I can pursue that

Sometimes it happens within seconds if I just close the GenieGo system info window and then reopen it without doing anything else. Mostly it happens after I gather the ip address and ports and using Airport Utility edit my time capsule to update the information. AFter the updating process I often get "an error occurred while updating the configuration". Sometimes I have to reboot the Time capsule to get it to work and that reboots the GenieGO and  changes the settings but often the update seems to work but when I check the system info again, the ip address and/or the ports are different.

IS there a way to set a static ip address?

I think the GenieGo is bad. I have had it set up for "out of home" successfully twice. The first time I went out of town and it did not work. Even worse the 15 hours of programs that I downloaded to my ipad disappeared in less than 2 weeks before I even watched one program .

The second time was today after 45 minutes on the phone with tech support, it finally tested successfully  on the macbook pro and the macbook air but the ipad showed that "out of home" was not set up. So I rebooted everything and tried again only to find the ip address and ports changing by the minute.

Finally today after spending 1 1/2 hours on the phone with the a directv tech I had had enough and told them to send me another unit or I quit. They are sending out a tech with a new unit and I hope this one works. The tech on the phone told me the problem was with my router which is a brand new time capsule. But since I saw the ip address  change on the GenieGo system info page without any router interaction, I refuse to accept that solution.

So my hope is that someone out there will know how to set a static ip address on the genieGO or tell me that it is a problem with the Time Capsule router so I can pursue that

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Sep 25, 2013 7:13:22 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

The GenieGo relies on your router to get an IP address.  the GenieGo does not decide when or what IP address to get, that is the job of the DHCP server in your router.

Perhaps you are not typing the the MAC address of the GenieGo correctly

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Accepted Solution

GenieGO keeps resetting ip address and ports

10 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(10)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2013 3:56:49 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

There is no way to set an static IP address on the GenieGo.  what you need to do is set an DHCP IP address reservation on your router

There is no way to set an static IP address on the GenieGo.  what you need to do is set an DHCP IP address reservation on your router

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: GenieGO keeps resetting ip address and ports

2 of 11 (234 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 25, 2013 9:16:55 AM
(0)
Contributor

Of course I set the DHCP reservation. How else could I set up my router. What I am saying is that after I update the router with the GEnieGO's current ip address and ports  the router goes through it's update process, and when it is finished the GenieGO's ip address and/or the ports  have changed so the router and GenieGo are not in set for the same ip address and/or ports.

Of course I set the DHCP reservation. How else could I set up my router. What I am saying is that after I update the router with the GEnieGO's current ip address and ports  the router goes through it's update process, and when it is finished the GenieGO's ip address and/or the ports  have changed so the router and GenieGo are not in set for the same ip address and/or ports.

3 of 11 (234 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 25, 2013 3:42:34 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Then, something is funky with your router.  It is not saving the IP reservation

Then, something is funky with your router.  It is not saving the IP reservation

4 of 11 (234 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 25, 2013 6:59:39 PM
(0)
Contributor

Maybe I don't understand how this works, but it seems to me that the router is saving the ip address that I enter. It is the GenieGO that changes the ip address as it reboots while the time capsule is updating the last ip address which is now not the same as the new one so it doesn't work. Is this a router problem?

Maybe I don't understand how this works, but it seems to me that the router is saving the ip address that I enter. It is the GenieGO that changes the ip address as it reboots while the time capsule is updating the last ip address which is now not the same as the new one so it doesn't work. Is this a router problem?

5 of 11 (234 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Sep 25, 2013 7:13:22 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

The GenieGo relies on your router to get an IP address.  the GenieGo does not decide when or what IP address to get, that is the job of the DHCP server in your router.

6 of 11 (234 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2015 9:18:51 PM
(0)
Mentor

Did you ever get this problem fixed? My geniego is doing the exact same thing 

Did you ever get this problem fixed? My geniego is doing the exact same thing 

7 of 11 (234 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2015 7:11:41 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Again, you need to set a DHCP IP address reservation on your router.

Again, you need to set a DHCP IP address reservation on your router.

8 of 11 (234 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 27, 2015 8:50:30 PM
(0)
Contributor

peds48, I'm having the same issue and like the others, am setting a DHCP IP address reservation. One thing I've notice is the mac address changes also. I have a Linksys E3000 router. When I go into the DHCP reservation setting the GenieGo shows up as "NomadII08C816" in Client Name field of devices already connected to the router, with an IP address "192.168.0.142" and mac address "00:22:1B:08:C8:17". According to the GenieGo app installed on PC listed in System Info, I'm supposed to set Client Name as GenieGo, IP address same as above-"192.168.0.142" and mac address "00:22:1B:08:C8:16". It similar to the Nomad mac address, 1 digit less. It's also similar to Nomad client name with the last six characters matching the last six characters of GenieGo app System Info mac address. Another strange thing with the mac address for the GenieGo is in the Control Panel-Network Devices map. I went in there and seen where the GenieGo was listed under wireless devices. I right clicked and selected properties. It listed the IP address as "192.168.0.142" and a totally different mac address, "60:02:b4:ab:ab:72". I found that this evening right before I had to leave for work.

My issue is similar to those posted above where after setting the DHCP IP address per the GenieGo app-System Info, making the Port Forwarding settings per the GenieGo app-System Info and trying to watch a recorded program from HD-DVR or running Out of Home Setup the IP address would change in the GenieGo app-System Info to "192.168.0.144" I went back in and verified that no router settings had changed in either DHCP reservation fields or Single Port Forward fields. Also, I forgot to mention above after initially entering GenieGo app System Info in the DHCP reservation and saving settings the NomadII08C816 Client Name was gone with all of its corresponding data. I figured this was due to entering the same IP address, therefore replacing & discarding.

Here is a link to the steps from Directv support in making router settings selecting Linksys E3000 for router & model:

How do I enable GenieGO Out-of-Home Access to stream my recorded movies and shows? | DIRECTV Support

Any help, ideas or thoughts would greatly be appreciated. Thanks!

peds48, I'm having the same issue and like the others, am setting a DHCP IP address reservation. One thing I've notice is the mac address changes also. I have a Linksys E3000 router. When I go into the DHCP reservation setting the GenieGo shows up as "NomadII08C816" in Client Name field of devices already connected to the router, with an IP address "192.168.0.142" and mac address "00:22:1B:08:C8:17". According to the GenieGo app installed on PC listed in System Info, I'm supposed to set Client Name as GenieGo, IP address same as above-"192.168.0.142" and mac address "00:22:1B:08:C8:16". It similar to the Nomad mac address, 1 digit less. It's also similar to Nomad client name with the last six characters matching the last six characters of GenieGo app System Info mac address. Another strange thing with the mac address for the GenieGo is in the Control Panel-Network Devices map. I went in there and seen where the GenieGo was listed under wireless devices. I right clicked and selected properties. It listed the IP address as "192.168.0.142" and a totally different mac address, "60:02:b4:ab:ab:72". I found that this evening right before I had to leave for work.

My issue is similar to those posted above where after setting the DHCP IP address per the GenieGo app-System Info, making the Port Forwarding settings per the GenieGo app-System Info and trying to watch a recorded program from HD-DVR or running Out of Home Setup the IP address would change in the GenieGo app-System Info to "192.168.0.144" I went back in and verified that no router settings had changed in either DHCP reservation fields or Single Port Forward fields. Also, I forgot to mention above after initially entering GenieGo app System Info in the DHCP reservation and saving settings the NomadII08C816 Client Name was gone with all of its corresponding data. I figured this was due to entering the same IP address, therefore replacing & discarding.

Here is a link to the steps from Directv support in making router settings selecting Linksys E3000 for router & model:

How do I enable GenieGO Out-of-Home Access to stream my recorded movies and shows? | DIRECTV Support

Any help, ideas or thoughts would greatly be appreciated. Thanks!

9 of 11 (234 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2015 10:42:19 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Use the MAC address reported by you router software.

Use the MAC address reported by you router software.

10 of 11 (234 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2015 11:15:28 AM
(0)
Contributor

I'm pretty sure I tried that. I'm away from system now, as soon as I get to it I'll try it again. Thanks!

I'm pretty sure I tried that. I'm away from system now, as soon as I get to it I'll try it again. Thanks!

11 of 11 (234 Views)