View profile
Mar 26, 2014 6:19:17 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Sure, but you will need a "special" cable that can be provided by DirecTV

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=10PINCOMPOS&ss=78468

Sure, but you will need a "special" cable that can be provided by DirecTV

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=10PINCOMPOS&ss=78468

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Can a Genie Mini support a non HD TV?

2 of 22 (16 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2014 7:38:15 AM
(0)
Administrator

I'd listen to peds48 and use the website. Directv doesn't send out 10 pin cables from their ordering system.. Idk why! It's just never been an option to send out.

I'd listen to peds48 and use the website. Directv doesn't send out 10 pin cables from their ordering system.. Idk why! It's just never been an option to send out.

3 of 22 (16 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2014 8:57:46 AM
(0)
Expert

That's good to know because I've been advising folks to simply call Directv (to order a dongle) every since the Clients were released.

That's good to know because I've been advising folks to simply call Directv (to order a dongle) every since the Clients were released.

4 of 22 (16 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2014 10:13:02 AM
(0)
Administrator

Yeah! I just had a call about that infact. Sometimes if you call they will let you go purchase one from radioshack and credit the amt back to the account. that's what I do for them most the time. they also don't send out the digital audio cables.. we need an update in the ordering system!

Yeah! I just had a call about that infact. Sometimes if you call they will let you go purchase one from radioshack and credit the amt back to the account. that's what I do for them most the time. they also don't send out the digital audio cables.. we need an update in the ordering system!

5 of 22 (16 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2014 12:30:06 PM
(0)
Professor

Not sure if Radio Shack sells the right 10 pin dongle but solidsignal.com or weaknees.com do.

Not sure if Radio Shack sells the right 10 pin dongle but solidsignal.com or weaknees.com do.

6 of 22 (16 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2014 12:55:16 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Radio Shack does NOT sell these. As shannon1 says, solidsignal and other online sellers.

Radio Shack does NOT sell these. As shannon1 says, solidsignal and other online sellers.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

7 of 22 (16 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2014 5:22:20 PM
(0)
Contributor

Yes.  The installation guy had a cable that he used which converts HDMI to RCA video/audio jacks when he hooked up my old TV to my new Genie system.  Works great.

Yes.  The installation guy had a cable that he used which converts HDMI to RCA video/audio jacks when he hooked up my old TV to my new Genie system.  Works great.

8 of 22 (16 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2014 5:59:40 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Huh???

All you need is the cable I posted on the first response.  HDMI is not involved at all!

Huh???

All you need is the cable I posted on the first response.  HDMI is not involved at all!

9 of 22 (16 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2014 10:34:41 PM
(0)
Mentor

We got dtv on feb 21 2014.  The guy gave us a cable for my tv in the basement mitsubishi ws65315 with no hmdi but hd ready from 2005.  Didn't have to buy it he gave us a 10 pin cable red green and blue (not yellow red and white).  He had it on him I guess.  I don't remember mentioning it on the phone.

We got dtv on feb 21 2014.  The guy gave us a cable for my tv in the basement mitsubishi ws65315 with no hmdi but hd ready from 2005.  Didn't have to buy it he gave us a 10 pin cable red green and blue (not yellow red and white).  He had it on him I guess.  I don't remember mentioning it on the phone.

10 of 22 (16 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2014 5:01:57 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

That's the component video cable. Your Tv has a component video HD connection but does not have HDMI.

The composite video connector is similar but has yellow/red/white connectors.

That's the component video cable. Your Tv has a component video HD connection but does not have HDMI.

The composite video connector is similar but has yellow/red/white connectors.

11 of 22 (16 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2014 6:27:36 PM
(0)
Tutor

DirecTV actually does send out 10pin cabling. Both composite and component.... We do not however send out HDMI to RCA converters or digital audio cabling.

DirecTV actually does send out 10pin cabling. Both composite and component.... We do not however send out HDMI to RCA converters or digital audio cabling.

12 of 22 (16 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 6, 2014 5:41:16 AM
(0)
Administrator

When I open oms, and go to any accessories, or hd accessories or anything, there are no 10 pin cables. None. So please enlighten me where in my  system I can order that cable for someone. As far as I know, only installers can present a customer with that. I'd rather not get an UTR for sending a tech out to give someone a cable.

When I open oms, and go to any accessories, or hd accessories or anything, there are no 10 pin cables. None. So please enlighten me where in my  system I can order that cable for someone. As far as I know, only installers can present a customer with that. I'd rather not get an UTR for sending a tech out to give someone a cable.

13 of 22 (16 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 6, 2014 7:18:06 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

jennykeatty wrote:

for sending a tech out to give someone a cable.

and you should not create a SC for this reason.

jennykeatty wrote:

for sending a tech out to give someone a cable.

and you should not create a SC for this reason.

14 of 22 (16 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 6, 2014 8:35:21 AM
(0)
Mentor

The 10-pin cables are listed in OMS accessories as "replacement component cable" and "replacement composite cable."  They are listed under H25 and client accessories.

The 10-pin cables are listed in OMS accessories as "replacement component cable" and "replacement composite cable."  They are listed under H25 and client accessories.

15 of 22 (16 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 6, 2014 8:41:08 AM
(0)
Administrator

I clicked it and you are correct. Now I can let the other agents in the center know that. Unfortionately they don't update our systems like they should, so we stay misinformed about things like this. Thanks for the information nolagoat.

I clicked it and you are correct. Now I can let the other agents in the center know that. Unfortionately they don't update our systems like they should, so we stay misinformed about things like this. Thanks for the information nolagoat.

16 of 22 (16 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 6, 2014 10:13:08 AM
(0)
Mentor

My pleasure.  It's not very intuitive.  Someone had to point it out to me in the past also.

My pleasure.  It's not very intuitive.  Someone had to point it out to me in the past also.

17 of 22 (16 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 10, 2014 11:41:03 AM
(0)
Contributor

What about with a coax connection?

What about with a coax connection?

18 of 22 (16 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 10, 2014 11:54:50 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Then you would need an RF MOD

Then you would need an RF MOD

19 of 22 (16 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 10, 2014 12:04:08 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

You  need an RF Modulator.  This will convert the Mini's Composite Video (yellow RCA) and analog audio (red/white RCA) to an RF signal on Ch3 or Ch4 that you can send via coax cable to a TV's off-air tuner.  You can buy RF Modulators at places like Radio Shack or Best Buy.

You  need an RF Modulator.  This will convert the Mini's Composite Video (yellow RCA) and analog audio (red/white RCA) to an RF signal on Ch3 or Ch4 that you can send via coax cable to a TV's off-air tuner.  You can buy RF Modulators at places like Radio Shack or Best Buy.

20 of 22 (16 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 10, 2014 3:03:56 PM
(0)
Teacher

If you don't mind the space it takes an old VCR will work as an RF Modulator, or anything with RCA Inputs and RF Out.

I mention the VCR because a lot of us have but never use them and I imagine they would be fairly easy to find cheap or for free. It would work in a pinch too.

Only drawback other than space that comes to mind is that power consumption would probably be higher, particularly if you didn't want to be bothered with turning it off and on each use. You would use less power with one when turning it on and off if you did so with a power strip rather than just the power button or remote. That of course applies to almost, if not all equipment and has it's own drawbacks sometimes.

If you don't mind the space it takes an old VCR will work as an RF Modulator, or anything with RCA Inputs and RF Out.

I mention the VCR because a lot of us have but never use them and I imagine they would be fairly easy to find cheap or for free. It would work in a pinch too.

Only drawback other than space that comes to mind is that power consumption would probably be higher, particularly if you didn't want to be bothered with turning it off and on each use. You would use less power with one when turning it on and off if you did so with a power strip rather than just the power button or remote. That of course applies to almost, if not all equipment and has it's own drawbacks sometimes.

21 of 22 (16 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 10, 2014 6:29:49 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I mention the VCR because a lot of us have but never use them

I junked my VCR when Best Buy stopped carrying tapes about 12 years ago!  lol

I mention the VCR because a lot of us have but never use them

I junked my VCR when Best Buy stopped carrying tapes about 12 years ago!  lol

22 of 22 (16 Views)