Explore & discover

Helpful Links

where do I get a genie mini?

Tutor

where do I get a genie mini?

Hi, I got a new Visio smart tv today and I thought I could do a wireless hook up to direct tv tonight but I guess not. It looks to me like only certain Samsungs, Sonys, and LGs can do that. So where can I buy a genie mini to hook in to my other TVs that are on direct tv? Any electronics store? or do I have to find a direct tv store.? And make an appointment?  Sorry I’m a bit clueless on all this tv stuff.

Message 1 of 10
ACE - Professor

Re: where do I get a genie mini?

First of all do you have a genie? Minis won't work without the genie. There are no DirecTV stores. You need to call DirecTV. Keep in mind any upgrade would come with a  24 month committment 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 10
ACE - Expert

There are no TVs that can connect wireless to DTV, there are wireless minis that connect to TVs and the WVB.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 10
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by Fennel
‎12-22-2018 1:24 PM

@Fennel

No TV can connect to DirecTV wirelessly. TVs with a wireless connection built in are for connect the TV to internet for its own supported apps, not DirecTV itself.

Some TVs are "DirecTV Ready", otherwise known as RVU, having a Client built in. This is still a wired option, but not recommended as dependent on TV maker updating the software which they are known to be slow at doing. Plus TVs performance on RVU tends to be sub-par to have a DirecTV box on the TV.

What model of boxes do you have now? This will determine what upgrade options you have to add the additional TV. No matter what option chosen, this will add the $7 monthly for the additional TV.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Tags (1)
Message 4 of 10
Tutor

Thank you all for the follow ups.

I bought a Vizio e series 4K hdr smart tv from Costco. My main tv upstairs has a largish direct tv box that a direct tv guy installed a few years ago. My bedroom TVs have little boxes with little antennas sticking up. I guess this little box (mini geni?) is what I need. So where do I get it? Do I go to a store somewhere? Best Buy? Target? Or can I buy it on amazon? Or Do I have to have the direct tv guy come out again? I don’t really want an (ugly) wire coming out of this tv to a geni box but I guess there is no getting around that...(?).

Also I don’t know my direct tv password and how do I find this or change it?

I am sorry I am so clueless—the person who took care of my electronics in the past is no longer with us. I am having to fumble along on my own. (And now I can’t get my brand new keurig to work!) Thank you for your assistance— Company is coming for Christmas week and I want to get this tv working for the football games, etc. 😊
Message 5 of 10
ACE - Expert

It would help to know the exact model numbers of your current DirecTV boxes.  

Also, are you looking to upgrade to full 4K services with that new TV, or just get another Wireless Genie Mini Client box?

Either way, you'll need to call DirecTV to order .... 1 800 531 5000

They'll set you up with installation.  

Message 6 of 10
Tutor

Well, thank you very much. So it seems like I have to set up an appointment with direct tv after all.  (I don’t know what 4000k is but I’m sure the direct tv guy will know. And he can tell me how to find out my password since it appears I can’t escape scheduling an appointment.) thx, everybody

Spoiler

Message 7 of 10
ACE - Expert

@Fennel

4K is just the next level of resolution, sometimes called Ultra HD. As there are only a couple channels in that high a resolution, I wouldn't worry about 4K right now.

There are no DirecTV stores. Physical retailers are authorized 3rd party retailers that can only send in an order for a new customer, not assist an existing account.

Before ordering new equipment, it would be helpful to know the models of each box you have now. Some agents from AT&T (DirecTV's new owner) do not understand existing setups well enough to make the right suggestions. They are getting better, but I would suggest getting info from long experienced customers first. The model for each DirecTV box is usually found on a label on the inside of the access card door (located on the front panel, right side), or a label on the bottom. This would allow us to make the best recommendation, especially since a lot of people will have to replace old legacy equipment since DirecTV is shutting down the oldest feeds in a few months.

Message 8 of 10
Tutor

Thank you, Juniper, you have been very helpful.  Happily my son-in-law visited and figured out what I need to do next.  FYI  I did buy another TV today and am trying to set it up.  So far so good so thank you to everyone on this forum who has tried to help me.  Happy New Year!  

Message 9 of 10
ACE - Expert

Great to hear.

Just make sure not to get the Genie-2 (HS17) with whatever order you place so you do not end up with a headache. And if you have any HDDVRs already, do not replace them with Mini Genie Clients or that would thematically be a downgrade. Just something to let your son-in-law know in case he wasn't aware. If he already got you covered on that, wonderful. Just making sure you get what you need and don't end up with issues.

Enjoy the New Year. Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 10
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support