using an hdmi switch -

Tutor

using an hdmi switch -

using an hdmi switch - i am now on my third HDMI switch; using a Directv DVR, a ROKU player , a Sony playstation and my Panasonic Plasma HDTV.  The ROKU and the Playstation work fine, but when my DVR is connected thru the HDMI switch, I get no audio on my Directv programming. Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 13
Expert

Re: using an hdmi switch -

For starters, disconnect the switch and connect the DVR HDMI directly to the TV.  That will isolate whether it's the switch or something else.  If it works properly, I'd consider connecting the Roku and Playstation to a different TV input and doing away with the switch.

Message 2 of 13
ACE - Expert

Which model of switch is it?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 13
Tutor

It of course works without the switch. I have tried 3 different switches - same result. Eliminating the switch puts me back where I was - disconnecting one component to use another. Since the TV is across the room from the receiver, that would mean running new cables up the inside of the wall, across the ceiling and down the other wall - something I'm trying to avoid.

I'm just trying to find out if anyone knows of an Hdmi switch that will work in conjunction with thes devices and a directv HR34/700 DVR.

I have used a Kinivo 301 & 501 switch and a Auvio 4 & 1 switch

Message 4 of 13
Tutor

I have tried a Kinivo 301 & 501 and an Auvio 4&1

Message 5 of 13
Scholar

As a last resort have you tried connecting your DVR using component cables (red-blue-green)?  Supposedly the quality is equal to that of an HDMI cable. 

Message 6 of 13
Expert

That was covered (and apparently ignored) in post number two.

Message 7 of 13
Contributor

fitz,

I have a Panasonic plasma as well and I'm only using a 2 way switch (Roku and Direct TV DVR). Roku works fine... have troubleshot the cables, the switch...etc. Basically eliminated every option but the direct tv box... Thinking it must be something with the direct tv software... Have you had any more luck?

Message 8 of 13
ACE - Expert

Which switch?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 9 of 13
Contributor

Just a basic Auvio 2-way HD switch. Model 15-317 (I think)

Message 10 of 13
ACE - Expert

Probably does not work with the HDCP copy protection on the Genie. there are lots of reports of this issue. You need a switch that will pass HDCP,

Message 11 of 13
Employee

Exactly, the key is a switch that is HDCP complaint.  the link below provides an example

http://www.monoprice.com/Product/?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=4088&seq=1&format=3#specif...

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 12 of 13
Tutor

no more luck; I've back-burnered it for the time being.

Message 13 of 13
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the DIRECTV DVR & Receivers boards! Check out our troubleshooting articles below and don’t forget to search the forums - your question may have been answered already!

Is your service down? Click here to chat with us!

Additional Support