Explore & discover

Helpful Links

transfer recordings to external hard drive

Tutor

transfer recordings to external hard drive

I had directv a long while ago and I'm switching back because I'm paying way too much for cable. According to the rep I spoke with I will be able to have an external hard drive and then transfer the recording to it to free up space on the genie. So basically it will work along side the genie and just add additional space to the setup, they talk about the genie having such a huge capacity @200 hours but I.can.record 2000 hours at the moment on my contour 2 with my cable company so 200 hours is nothing. So if I can get a decent answer I may just keep cable because 200 hours is definitely a deal breaker and having to spend 1000 bucks on a storage to make up for what I'm going to lose isn't worth it.
Message 1 of 36
ACE - Expert

Re: transfer recordings to external hard drive

External hard drives are not permanently married to the DVR but any programs will not be in the playlist or playable and will be overwritten when connected to a new DVR.

Been this way for 30 years so I doubt they are going to change it.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 31 of 36
ACE - Expert

@gdoug060765 wrote:

What in the {edited for word filter evasion} DirectTV? Definitely going to switch back as soon as contract expires, unless they rectify this issue, and make their system equal to Dish.

Then you'll be switching back. They haven't added this feature since the days of their first DVRs, and I doubt they ever will. 

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 32 of 36
ACE - Expert

@gdoug060765 wrote:

Wow, this is a real disappointment. None of the posted "Presale" information that DirecTV has, states that an external HDD replaces the HD in the DVR, or that it is permanently married to the Genie that it was originally connected to. I just switched from Dish Network, whose Hopper 3 does make the external HDD additional storage, and not a substitute, and allows for transfer of recordings to a new Hopper, in the event of a system failure.

What in the F DirectTV? Definitely going to switch back as soon as contract expires, unless they rectify this issue, and make their system equal to Dish.

Recordings are encrypted to the DVR and are not allowed to be transferred. That is why the internal is disabled when using an external HDD, to prevent unauthorized copying/recording.

The external drive is not permanently paired with the Genie, but the recordings permanently encrypted to the DVR that recorded them. You can use it with another HDDVR. However when you do so, any remaining recordings will get overwritten. So it is like connecting a blank drive in essence.

According to Dish's Terms of Service they charge for using an external HDD, which DirecTV never has charged for.

It would be great if DirecTV were to make it so the internal could be used with the external, even if the recordings stay encrypted to their original DVR. Since their focus right now is on the Genie-2 design direction (that I have severe reservations on), it is not expected the external hard drive situation will change any time soon.

For capability reference with using an external: Make sure it is large enough to be worth. Regular HDDVRs (as of the last few models), have a 500GB internal, but support up to a 2TB external. The Genie line has a 1TB internal, with an old suggested supported limit of 4TB external, but no actual hard limit has been determined (some power users have attached 12TB and 16TB drives without issue, though that seems excessive space to me). The regular Genie line (HR34, HR44, HR54) can work with HDDVRs, thereby increasing recording space and tuners to go around. The Genie-2 (HS17) forbids HDDVRs which gives it a hard cap on tuners and some other restrictions so is not recommended. Also there is a revised model of the 3rd gen Genie (HR54R1) which doesn't support an external drive as it doesn't have the eSATA port. Not much info on that model, but it has been seen within the last year.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
Message 33 of 36
Contributor

You are incorrect regarding Dish charging for using an External HDD. I have been using one for many years, and was never charged 1 dime. I was also able to transfer all of my recordings from the Hopper 1 to Hopper 3, using both my external HDD, and a direct transfer between the two Hoppers. DirecTV's notion that the way they have their system setup will prevent people from recording anything onto DVD/Bluray is ridiculous, as the output on the HDMI is not encrypted, and all you need is a video capture program, to burn them on your own. If VHS home recordings were not an issue for private home use, then why is this? It's only a problem if/when you put it on Torrent or Openload, etc...
Message 34 of 36
Contributor

That's basically being "Permanently Married". If you try to leave that Marriage, because you want to get together with something new, you lose everything, just like in a Divorce.
Message 35 of 36
ACE - Expert

@gdoug060765 

On Dish's website > service agreements > Residential Customer Agreement > Page 14 (Fees) > External Hard Drive Activation Fee $40. That is what I was referring to.

The hard drive is not permanently paired to another receiver. You can choose to use it with another, understanding you will not transfer the recordings. To be permanently paired would mean you could never use it with something else. That is the key difference.

The individual channel/content owners do not want HD recordings cutting into their HD/Blu-ray sales (physical or digital download). So that is the understanding why it has never been an option with DirecTV to record content in HD. The channels requiring HDCP further strengthens that position. If copying HD recordings are that important to you then you will need to seek elsewhere for that option.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
Message 36 of 36
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support