Explore & discover

Helpful Links

transfer recordings to external hard drive

Tutor

transfer recordings to external hard drive

I had directv a long while ago and I'm switching back because I'm paying way too much for cable. According to the rep I spoke with I will be able to have an external hard drive and then transfer the recording to it to free up space on the genie. So basically it will work along side the genie and just add additional space to the setup, they talk about the genie having such a huge capacity @200 hours but I.can.record 2000 hours at the moment on my contour 2 with my cable company so 200 hours is nothing. So if I can get a decent answer I may just keep cable because 200 hours is definitely a deal breaker and having to spend 1000 bucks on a storage to make up for what I'm going to lose isn't worth it.
Message 1 of 36
Tutor

Re: transfer recordings to external hard drive

Well, i discussed this in DEPTH with tech, and they have devices that do just that in my case. I have 10 Devices and 6 of them are HD DVR's. We discussed how its done, what devices they use to transfer the data, what format its in, and how i would watch them.  So I doubt that they would have this level of conversation and be wrong. All of it is in writing, so I am not making this up. Maybe you need to contact tech support yourself. I am not saying you are wrong, only I am very doubtful that ATT Tech support supervisor would make up an entire story as I was VERY explicit and asked very detailed questions. I personally have knowledge that has exceeded some of the tech's that have come to my house. I have had DTV since they came out.

Message 16 of 36
ACE - Expert

Would you pay a tech $99 an hour to sit there and wait for recordings to transfer if you could as any transfer will be in real time. two hours+ per movie?

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 17 of 36
Employee

As @shannon02 mentions, recordings can be transferred in live time, by playing the recording on the DVR while having a recording device connected to the DVR but this will be in live time, 2hrs to record a 2hr movie and will have to be repeated for each recording. 

There is currently no method of simple transfer, such as copying recordings quickly to a hard drive or other digital device as one would copy files from a computer to a USB flash drive. 

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 18 of 36
Tutor

first, I am not paying for anything and they are not charging me.  2nd, we discussed options.. one option was to copy to my purchased device, the other was for me to watch down the shows over a 6-9 month period, each receiever connected to my TV but not DTV. (you can still watch the playlist if not connected to DTV).. I have at least 800GB of shows across those 4 DVR's..

if "copy" means i select all the shows with the DTV app, (like you would with DTV2PC) and select them for "download" and they get copied to an external device over a multi-day-week period in the background, i could live with that.. as long as i don't have to intervene and they get copied on their own. 

Otherwise, if you are saying they are total FOS, made all this up, I will call them now and review the transcript with them

Message 19 of 36
ACE - Expert

@vff1000 wrote:

Otherwise, if you are saying they are total FOS, made all this up, I will call them now and review the transcript with them

Let us know what you find out, because I think they're FOS.  There's no way to digitally transfer DVR recordings between devices. 

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 20 of 36
Tutor

Here is an EXCERPT of my transcript. I deleted some not relevant to this, underlined some to make things stand out in this thread,  and removed names to keep things anonymous..

TECH: I am sorry we do not have a option to move the DVR content to replace receiver, however our tech have a access to save all the recorded shows to another devices with help of connector. 

i was switched to a supervisor to get more details

SUPER: Yes, if the old receiver is in active state we can transfer that to external hard disk. 

Me: So, YOUR TECH, copies them to an external hard drive that I connect to my TV 

SUPER: Yes, you are correct. 

SUPER: Then we can connect the Hard ware to TV with USB connection. 

SUPER: We need to connect the device with receiver to copy the shows and once its copied we need to connect it with TV. 

Me: Would I need 4 hard drives or can we copy 4 DVR's content to 1 Hard drive? 

SUPER: We can copy all the shows in one Device. 

SUPER: Its depending upon on the device storage capacity. 

Me: so, to net this out, I can buy a 2 TB hard drive and you will copy all my recorded shows from 4 STD HD DVR's to that hard drive. I will then connect that hard drive to my TV and watch those shows? 

SUPER: Yes, you are correct. 

Me: Will the file names be such that the viewer will be able to recognize the shows by their file name? 

SUPER: Yes, It will be with same name on the DVR. 

Me: OK, so i will be able to scan the hard drive and select the show of my choice for viewing? I will then be allowed to do whatever my TV allows me to do while watching those shows? 

SUPER: If once copied you can modify the shows.
Me:This means that the shows will be in a format such as MP4?
Me: I don't want to modify the shows, only to watch, pause, and FF rewind, etc, 

SUPER: Yes, we can do that. 

Me: OK, all this sounds great. I would like to have all my shows copied from the 4 devices to my hard drive. and then replace them with the Genie 4K plus minis 

SUPER: Is there anything else I can assist you with? 

Message 21 of 36
Tutor

BTW, there was more blah blah at the end including the support number to set up my appointment to have this all done. I will let you know what transpires. 

Message 22 of 36
Employee

None of that is correct on the supervisors part. I would call back to possibly place a complaint on the employee who assisted you in the chat. 

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 23 of 36
Tutor

i will do that.   for my own greedy reasons i hope you are wrong, but i have also known for years this wasn't possible and when i started googling this and there was nothing about this capability, then i got suspect, which is why is posted in this forum, at a minimum to confirm it.. or challenge it.

i cant believe they would say things that didn't come close to approach reality. 

Message 24 of 36
ACE - Expert

Wow! That "supervisor" needs more training. But I hope you're right. Keep us posted.

Message 25 of 36
ACE - Expert

While you can download programs to a mobile device they can't be uploaded to a DVR and the download is only good for 30 days.  The programs are encrypted to the DVR that recorded them so they will not play on any other DVR.

Message 26 of 36
Tutor

Shannon02, Litzdog911, Cstarman922, 

I called support and they told me that the SUPER was totally wrong and they are going to address this situation. As you would expect, having Premier, MLB, NHL, NFL, etc, etc, and 10 devices, they do pay attention when i call.

They also let me know that only 1 Genie per account is allowed and I cant have 2, regardless Version 1 or 2. AND, if i did want to go with the 4K version, i cant have ANY OTHER RECEIVERS other than the 7 mini's linked to that receiver. So that means, i am literally stuck with the config I am in if I want to watch 10 different TV's in my home at differing locations,  Don't ask why, thats another story Smiley Happy except i'll share one is a sports room with 5 panels, so there that.. Smiley Happy  

Message 27 of 36
ACE - Expert

That is also a load as the HR54 Genie can and does stream 4K to one 4K C61K mini at a time and will still work with any other DVR.  You will also have a problem that may or may not be fixed and that is AT&T's new RC1 account system only allows 8 receivers on the account.  It is the HS17 Genie2 account that will not allow other DVRs.

Message 28 of 36
ACE - Expert

@vff1000 

Recordings cannot be transferred from one DVR to another. But they can be watched from each other (or even on HD non-DVRs) as that is the primary function of Whole Home DVR.

Recordings cannot be copied to an external hard drive or USB flash drive. An external eSATA hard drive can be used with regular HDDVRs (max 2TB) and the main Genie (no official max limit). The internal drive is disabled while the external is connected which prevents copying. And recordings are encrypted to their specific DVR so plugging into another will just overwrite the old recordings.

Recordings may be temporarily (up to 30 days) copied to a mobile device (smart phone or tablet). Option when traveling and no access to internet, or out of country where DirecTV is not allowed to broadcast or stream.

Deactivating a HDDVR should make the recordings inaccessible within moments. Even if the box doesn't receive the update in status from the satellite, it does periodically check its service authorizations. If the check cannot confirm it is active (specifically DVR service), then you cannot watch anything on it. The periodic check has not been consistent across models and software versions, so it could be from within a day to a few weeks, but regardless once you are not paying for the services on that box than everything on it is inaccessible as you don't own the content. Recordings are not deleted when deactivated, which used to be a good thing. Now once deactivated, boxes are not allowed to be turned back on. They get returned or recycled if an older model.

You do not need the Genie-2 (HS17) for the 4K service. The 3rd generation Genie (HR54) also works with the 4K Mini Genie Client (C61K). The TV must have HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2, and 60 FPS. If you already have an earlier Genie (HR34 or HR44), just upgrade an existing Client (or HD non-DVR) to the 4K Client. This would require tech complimentary swapping the older Genie for the HR54 (be caught up on recordings first like mentioned). If you don't have a Genie, then just replace 2 of your non-DVRs with the Genie and Client. Do not replace an HDDVR with the Genie or Client so you can keep maximum tuners and recording space.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
Message 29 of 36
Contributor

Wow, this is a real disappointment. None of the posted "Presale" information that DirecTV has, states that an external HDD replaces the HD in the DVR, or that it is permanently married to the Genie that it was originally connected to. I just switched from Dish Network, whose Hopper 3 does make the external HDD additional storage, and not a substitute, and allows for transfer of recordings to a new Hopper, in the event of a system failure.

What in the {edited for word filter evasion} DirectTV? Definitely going to switch back as soon as contract expires, unless they rectify this issue, and make their system equal to Dish.

Message 30 of 36
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support