Explore & discover

Helpful Links

transfer recordings to external hard drive

Tutor

transfer recordings to external hard drive

I had directv a long while ago and I'm switching back because I'm paying way too much for cable. According to the rep I spoke with I will be able to have an external hard drive and then transfer the recording to it to free up space on the genie. So basically it will work along side the genie and just add additional space to the setup, they talk about the genie having such a huge capacity @200 hours but I.can.record 2000 hours at the moment on my contour 2 with my cable company so 200 hours is nothing. So if I can get a decent answer I may just keep cable because 200 hours is definitely a deal breaker and having to spend 1000 bucks on a storage to make up for what I'm going to lose isn't worth it.
Message 1 of 36
ACE - Expert

Re: transfer recordings to external hard drive

You were given bad information.  There's no way to transfer recordings to an external hard drive or PC.  You can, however, connect an external eSATA drive to your Genie DVR, which essentially replaces its internal drive with your larger external drive.  That drive can be several TB in size (not sure if there's really any upper limit).  But you can't move recordings to a different drive.  Or use that drive with a different Genie DVR.  

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 36
ACE - Expert

Recordings are encrypted to the Genie/HDDVR that recorded them and cannot be transferred from one hard drive to another. They can be viewed from other HDDVR/HD receivers, just not copied.

You can use an external eSATA HDD to use instead of the internal. It does not delete what the internal has, just cannot access while connected. So you would want a external to be larger than the internal to make it worth it.

HDDVR (each) has 500GB, up to 100hrs HD. Can support up to a 2TB.

Genie has 1TB, up to 200hrs HD. Used to be listed supporting up to 4TB, but other users have reported using up to a 12TB.

*note* As there is still some SD programming out there, or SD only channels, SD only takes about 1/4 the space of HD.

If you are referring to the Contour 2 from Cox, they have a 2TB so that higher number of hours is referring to SD. Taken from their own site:

Hard drive: 2 TB
Recording time - SD: up to 1000 hours
Recording time - HD (MPEG-2): up to 340 hours
Recording time - HD (MPEG-4): up to 500 hours

So based on that a 2TB external would equal what you have now. And that only replaces the internal of the one it is connected to, as you still have the internal from any other HDDVRs you choose to get on the other tvs. Depends on how crazy you are expecting to record, but I wouldn't go more than a 4TB external to be reasonable for recordings and cost.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 36
Tutor

So if my box goes out and I need a new one all the stuff on the external
hard drive is just gone?
Message 4 of 36
Tutor

Ok so I can keep my recordings if something ever happened to the box and I
needed to have it replaced?
Message 5 of 36
ACE - Master

nope.  recordings are tied to one box

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Message 6 of 36
Tutor

Ok Thank you. That has made me Make my mind. I think I will stay with who I
currently have as they will have it where you can keep all your recording
if the box needs swapped out.
Message 7 of 36
ACE - Expert

Recordings cannot be transferred to a new box, they are locked to the one that recorded them. Using an external doesn't change that. But you can pair the external with the replacement box so you still have increased space.

Message 8 of 36

How do I wirelessly connect my DirecTV DVR to my NAS to store recordings?

Message 9 of 36
ACE - Expert

Directv doesn't have an option to wireless connect to storage. They support an eSATA external hard drive with fan enclosure. So the external drive must be wired to the Directv box. Wireless is not allowed.

Message 10 of 36
ACE - Expert

DTV encrypts the recordings to the hard drive and they will not play on any other DVR.

Message 11 of 36
Tutor

I currently have DISH network and have been going through the painful process of switching to Direct TV (signed up Oct 10 and Direct TV tech has either not shown up or has refused to do install on 6 separate occasions).  With my DISH Hopper I have connected Desktop external hard drives (with separate power sources) to the DVR and have saved movies and TV shows.  When I signed up for Direct TV they said I could connect these same External hard drives to the Genie and would be able to view the existing content (recorded from DISH) with the Genie.  Is this true or another lie from an overzealous customer service agent trying to make his sales quota?

Message 12 of 36
ACE - Expert

@SiniiD

If that is exactly what you were told, then that was a huge lie told by the sales agent. DirecTV is a good service, but it is agents like those that ruin the good name.

DirecTV can use external eSATA hard drives (with fan enclosure). Unlike Dish there is no hard drive activation fee.

Recordings for DirecTV are encrypted to the DVR they are recorded on. As such there is no transfer of recordings.

Plugging in an external HDD, disables the internal one to protect against someone trying to transfer recordings by some 3rd party method.

Regardless of where the HDD is from, it is formatted to use with the new DVR. New recordings will overwrite anything that was on the HDD.

Even if recordings were transferable, the equipment is proprietary including software format. DirecTV and Dish software is not compatible.

Genie (HR34, HR44, HR54) has 1TB HDD. Though old listing supported up to 4TB external, others have used up to 12TB or 16TB successfully, though I think that is overkill in space personally.

Regular HDDVRs as of recent models have 500GB internal. Support up to 2TB external, which is a hard cap.

Genie-2 (HS17) has 2TB. Can use external but nothing has been listed as max supported. So like the regular Genie may just be however much you want.

This new line forbids regular HDDVRs so hard caps a lot of other capabilities. For this reason this model is highly NOT recommended.

Message 13 of 36
Tutor

Directv TECH supervisor (not sales, not first line support) told me TODAY via CHAT, they THEY can send a tech to my house that can transfer ALL my recorded shows from their DVR to an external HD that i purchased for my later viewing, in order to upgrade my equipment. THEY do it.. not me. JUST FYI. 

Message 14 of 36
Employee

@vff1000 unfortunately that is incorrect as well. Even a technician cannot transfer recordings from a DVR to a hard drive.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 15 of 36
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support