Explore & discover

Helpful Links

saving dvr programs to external drive

Contributor

saving dvr programs to external drive

How do I save programs recorded on my dvr to an external drive? Upgrading to Genie but don’t want to lose programming I have saved on my dvr. 

Message 1 of 4
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by ACE - Expert (ACE - Expert)
Accepted by litzdog911
‎03-13-2018 6:02 PM

Re: saving dvr programs to external drive

You don’t. There is no way to transfer recordings. The only way to save recordings is to connect some sort of recording or capture device and record/capture them on that device.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 4
Contributor

Thanks for the prompt response. So I can’t just use a external drive or computer hard drive? Sounds like I would need some sort of specialized device. 

Message 3 of 4
ACE - Expert

Because the recordings are encrypted to the DVR and will not play on any other DVR.  You can us a video capture device to record to a computer in SD and real time.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 4
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support