Explore & discover

Helpful Links

returning direct tv equipment

Contributor

returning direct tv equipment

I have more equipment than is listed on the items to be returned.  One of the receivers is not wireless but was recently replaced so it is new.  I also have the receiver that was replaced that does not work.  I have the wireless bridge, all the power cords and about 10 remotes.

Do I return everything? or just the items listed on the sheet?

Message 1 of 56
Tutor

Re: returning direct tv equipment

Return everything if you can and get any other provider. Good luck

Message 31 of 56
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

@Cinwan wrote:

The previous posters from months ago got their answers on the return process. That return process is the same regardless if you close the account or are just deactivating certain TVs.

As for getting another provider, that is personal choice. If DirecTV is not for you, so be it. It is fine for many of us. Good luck wherever you go from here.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 32 of 56
ACE - Expert

@Cinwan wrote:

Such helpful advice!

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 33 of 56
Contributor

I have already returned everything except the antenna. If you Want it come get it.
Kent Hopkins
Message 34 of 56
ACE - Expert

@KentHop wrote:
I have already returned everything except the antenna. If you Want it come get it.
Kent Hopkins

If by "antenna" you mean the receiving dish, you don't return it. Only the receivers and clients are returnable. Everything else you own upon install. And for the parts that are returnable, DirecTV does not send someone to get the equipment. The return is handled yourself, as it sounds like you already have done.

Message 35 of 56
Contributor

I have already returned everything except the antenna on my rooftop. So that should satisfy your request.

Message 36 of 56
ACE - Expert

@KentHop

As mentioned the receiving dish is not returnable as once installed it is owned.

And it is not a request of mine. This is a custom to customer forum, not DirecTV customer care.

Message 37 of 56
Contributor

i cant see the tv bacause it needs to be connected to the internet

Message 38 of 56
ACE - Expert

You need to check the TVs manual on how to connect it.

Message 39 of 56
ACE - Expert

@erlinreyes wrote:

i cant see the tv bacause it needs to be connected to the internet

DirecTV does NOT need internet. It is service from satellites that beam the service down from orbit to your receiving dish.

So more details please. What TV service provider do you have? Are you trying to connect DirecTV to internet for optional features or are you trying to connect the TV itself to internet? If TV set itself, then that would have nothing to do with DirecTV.

Message 40 of 56
Contributor

Whenever you cancel Directv you are automatically sent instructions on returning your equipment and the shipping label. Most people expect a box and therefore don’t open the letter that is sent and then it gets lost. Also Directv doesn’t send a Tech to pick up your equipment, only in the state of Illinois is this done.. Only when living outside of a 20 mile radius is a box sent for the drop off return. Also if you have to have a receiver replaced the box it came with has the shipping label included. And finally you have 180 days to return your equipment and get any non-return fees removed otherwise you are so out of luck and in Collections.

Message 41 of 56
Contributor

I have a difficult time believing that Directv and or AT&T are so incompetent that they cannot all function in a manner that gives the customer correct information.  I am trying to return our equipment and I have had three different customer service agents swear to me that they are sending out an equipment return package to my service address.  Over the span of two weeks, none of them have arrived.  Today I called yet again and spoke to an agent who told me the exact same thing.  I asked for her supervisor to call me back and now have been waiting for over two hours for the return phone call. 

Thanks to this forum, I called our local UPS office and explained my situation and she said just bring all your stuff in and they will send it back for me.  Seems super simple and I wonder why in the world Directv doesn't just tell their customers that rather than give them bad information and have them get extremely frustrated. 

Pretty pathetic customer service. 

I have been a loyal customer forever and have noticed a dramatic decline is customer service since AT & T has taken over.  After this experience I will be switching to DISH TV once our new home is ready.  

Message 42 of 56
ACE - Expert

@JDTHEAD

AT&T changed the process about a year ago. However as you have experienced there are still agents quoting the old information. I would understand it if it had only recently changed, as that process had been in place for years. But this far after, I am in disbelief how many agents still seem to instruct the old way.

Though still far from a situation so bad enough that would result in me deciding to go to Dish, I will be cautious of any information I receive going forward or changes to service I might choose to make. Whether you switch or not, glad you at least got the return straightened out.

Message 43 of 56
Contributor

I was told by an agent that I didn't have to return the equipment because it was obsolete.  They never informed me that I could drop it off locally.  Now they charged me over $200 for the equipment and turned my account over to a collection agency.  They never offered to arbitrate.  I think they just want to maximize revenues like any other monopoly.  

Message 44 of 56
ACE - Expert

@unhappy-one 

If agent said you didn't have to return equipment but then were charged a non-return fee (NRF) then agent made a mistake. This is not on purpose by the company to maximize revenue as you say, just an agent who messed up.

Because of the new return process you might still be able to get those back to have the NRF(s) reversed. What are the models of each box you still have?

Message 45 of 56
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support