Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Re: returning direct tv equipment

Contributor

returning direct tv equipment

I have more equipment than is listed on the items to be returned.  One of the receivers is not wireless but was recently replaced so it is new.  I also have the receiver that was replaced that does not work.  I have the wireless bridge, all the power cords and about 10 remotes.

Do I return everything? or just the items listed on the sheet?

Message 1 of 57
Contributor

To know. They told us twice they send a box then the last rep told me they don’t do that anymore to bring it to s fedex location. We drove 30 minutes to a fedex and they told us they can’t do anything without a shipping sticker. Of course we never got one from directives. They have turned us in to collections on top of everything else!

Message 16 of 57
ACE - Expert

I would say agents are quoting return process from memory instead of looking up their new return policy. I would expect that a change as big as this would have a notification spread down to the agents, but with this still happening I wonder if AT&T updated their policy on Directv returns but just expected agents to look it up each time and find out the new process themselves without any notice.

In this case you don't bring your own return sticker. As long as it is a 'participating' FedEx or The UPS Store (remember not USPS) they just need your receiver/client boxes with their access cards and your account number to properly process the free return. If they say you need to bring a shipping label, that is either not a participating store or they haven't been trained or otherwise properly set for the new return process.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 17 of 57
Highlighted
Contributor

I just spent several days with AT&T and have learned that all of this information about returning DirectTV is completely bogus.  I switched from DirectTV to UVerse.  Kudos for the tech telling us to go take them to the UPS store and not wait for the boxes (which never came).  However, when the next AT&T bill came, I got hit with a whopping $518.01 charge for NOT returning the equipment.  I called and complained.  DirectTV did a fantastic job of researching it and providing me with a nice letter that said that their records show that the equipment was returned on time.  

So, I called AT&T billing.  They don't believe DirectTV.  I still have to pay $518.01 for equipment that was returned AND verified by DirectTV AND documented by DirectTV that the equipment was returned ON TIME and that I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO PAY THE NON-RETURNED FEE.   

I called DirectTV back to let them know what the problem was.  They escalated it and I got a nice e-mail from DirectTV saying that they have verified the return, it was on time, and that my bill would be credited the amount charged for not returning the equipment.  7 business days passed, and I noticed that my AT&T bill hasn't changed.  I called back and provided with the same information:  equipment returned, shouldn't be charged.  AT&T still doesn't believe that I returned the equipment. 

For the readers of this forum:  don't sweat returning your stuff on time because AT&T will charge the non-returned equipment fee anyway even if DirectTV shows the equipment was returned on time.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to convince AT&T that I really did return the DirectTV equipment so I might be able to get credited some time in the future?  

Message 18 of 57

All the article states is that if you don't return within 22 days they charge you an additional 150 bucks. Who and how do you contact to return att directv equipment, please?

Message 19 of 57
ACE - Expert

@Jjuliasullivan wrote:

All the article states is that if you don't return within 22 days they charge you an additional 150 bucks. Who and how do you contact to return att directv equipment, please?

When you call to replace equipment or cancel services they should provide you instructions on returning your old equipment.  Note that some older equipment doesn't need to be returned.  For the stuff that they want returned you simply take to a nearby UPS or FedEx shipping facility along with your DirecTV account information.   They'll box it up and return it. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 20 of 57

So I need to call who, please?

Message 21 of 57
ACE - Expert

@Jjuliasullivan

You take any returnable models, with their access cards still inside them, to a participating FedEx or UPS (not USPS) store. You provide your Directv account number so the return is properly matched to your account. This is the current return process that was implemented around turn of the year. Directv must receive back (not just in shipping) within 21 days from the last day of service or a non return fee (NRF) charges. If it comes in a little late the NRF gets reversed of course.

As mentioned it must be a participating store as not allow of them do.

@Anonymous provided the needed info earlier in the thread.

"Not every FedEx store is available for return. You can find participating FedEx store out on the website  fedex.com/attreturns.

UPS on theupsstore.com/locations."

Message 22 of 57
ACE - Expert

@Jjuliasullivan wrote:

So I need to call who, please?

DirecTV .... 1 800 531 5000

Message 23 of 57

Thank you. I will try that. My services have not stopped yet but I am going elsewhere tomorrow. The account. Is in...remediation..or something and I have filed with the federal communication commission. I am not interested in fighting with att directv anymore. 2 months was enough. Thanks.

Message 24 of 57
Tutor

Make sure the serial id number and model number are correct.  I got boxes to be returned to USPS but took this box to FedEx store to send as the numbers did not match.  There was an insert ad with directions on the back in the box to check these numbers.  Probably from our original receiver from years ago that was std. def.  The hd installer took it with him when he came to switch us to high definition.  I have FedEx receipt now as proof that it has gone back.  Keeping my fingers crossed.

Message 25 of 57
Contributor

I might be canceling my service.  What great customer service

Message 26 of 57
Contributor

By the way, I would video record and take pictures of all returns.  Then send it to direct through certified mail

Message 27 of 57
ACE - Expert

@demyhhh

A bit overboard, and places may not allow video recording on premises for privacy.

You cannot return equipment by certified mail. It is returned by FedEx or UPS, participating locations of course, which is a free return per their agreement with Directv and AT&T.

When you return equipment, just keep your receipt confirming what they took possession of.

Message 28 of 57
Contributor

My Mom is on a fixed income and got talked into switching from Charter to AT&T/DirectTV. AT&T set everything up and she paid her bill at the AT&T store by her house. Now that she has cancelled service AT&T would not take the equipment and sent her to the post office to return it. She sent everything back to AT&T. Now 2 months later she gets a bill for the DirectTV equipment that they show was not returned. Why can the AT&T store set everything up but can't take the equipment back? Now I'm reading that she was supposed to send the DirectTV equipment back to them rather than AT&T? WHAT???!!! THIS IS WHY I RECOMMEND TO ANYONE WHO ASKS THAT THEY GO WITH CHARTER OR COMCAST, YOU HAVE ONE STOP SHOPPING NOT ALL THIS SATELLITE DISH ON YOUR HOUSE NONSENSE, 2 DIFFERENT BILLS, 2 DIFFERENT PLACES TO SEND EQUIPMENT BACK TO. I'm going to tell my Mom to not pay them at all, they can eat it. They can't touch her.

Message 29 of 57
ACE - Expert

@joecool0425

Though AT&T acquired DirecTV, they are different service providers. So the stores are similar to a 3rd party authorized dealer. They can send orders to DirecTV, but cannot handle accounts after that as they do not work for DirecTV.

If your mom took her equipment to the post office, that would explain why DirecTV didn't get it back. Boxes get taken to a participating FedEx or UPS (Not USPS) for a free return. The shipper scans in the boxes and gives receipt on exactly what they took so there is record of the handoff. That is the return process, not paying for your own shipping through the post office. So your mom may need to contact USPS if she used any kind of tracking option to find out what happened with the boxes, perhaps get them back if undeliverable, so that she can return to DirecTV.

Until DirecTV receives equipment back to be logged in, the charge will remain valid. They will not "eat it", they are known for collecting outstanding balances so your mom would not be immune.

Message 30 of 57
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support