Explore & discover

Helpful Links

new receiver, no hd channels show

Highlighted
Tutor

new receiver, no hd channels show

Get a 771 error but reset not work. Dish is  SL3LNB  AZIM 149 , EL 52DEGREES TILT103 ALL CABLES ARE TIGHT-WE DO NOT WANT HD, BUT WOULD LIKE TO GET THOSE CHANNELS. SCREEN SAID SOMETHING ABOUT A BB CONVERTER. WHAT IS THAT? NEVER HAD ONE BEFORE. RECEIVER 0289-0557-3896.

Message 1 of 13
ACE - Expert

Re: new receiver, no hd channels show

What is the Receiver's model number?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 13
Tutor

R22-100R

Message 3 of 13
Tutor

R22-100R
Message 4 of 13
ACE - Expert

The R22 is an SD receiver, will only get HD channels if there is a "real" HD receiver on the account.

What other receivers do you have? Does the R22 get SD channels OK? Where did you get the R22?

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 13
ACE - Expert

R22 is the last box made labeled as SDDVR. However it is MPEG-4, SD and HD capable, so will work after the MPEG-2 final shutdown in April 2019 provided the rest of your setup is set for MPEG-4.

The R22 cannot provide HD service unless you have at least one labeled HD box (any box with H in the model number) with HD service on the account as it is not intended as a standalone HDDVR. Was for markets that converted to MPEG-4 only years ago. This is a unique model and has been a very good one, even though it is a bit dated.

R22 needs a B Band Convertor if it is on a non-SWM setup. If on SWM it needs a Deca instead.

You say "WE DO NOT WANT HD, BUT WOULD LIKE TO GET THOSE CHANNELS." which is confusing. You would like to get what you don't want? Please 

What are the models of every box you have?

What is the exact error message you are receiving?

Is this R22 an additional or replacement box?

If replacement, what model did it replace?

Message 6 of 13
Tutor

I HAVE NO OTHER RECEIVERS AND DO NOT WANT HD PICTURE-JUST WANT THOSE CHANNELS BACK…THANKS, JJ
Message 7 of 13
ACE - Expert

Then that receiver will be a brick in April as there will no SD channels for it to get, all channels will be on the HD sats.

Message 8 of 13
ACE - Expert

The R22 shouldn't be a brick as long as the cabling and dish are setup for MPEG-4 as SD channels are delivered on the MPEG-4 sats. It is not SD service shutting down, but the MPEG-2 feed that only carries SD. MPEG-4 carries both SD and HD. So yes SD is going the way of the dinosaur, but SD itself is not being shutdown (just yet).

@JohnnyJim

Was the box moved, unplugged, or anything else before the error message came on the screen?

Do you have a B band convertor or a Deca plugged into the R22?

Also be aware that though SD should still work after April, provided the reset of your setup (like your receiving dish) is MPEG-4, it may not be that far off where HD service becomes mandatory as SD only options haven't been offered or built in many years. Once that happens it will be upgrade to HD or give up TV.

Message 9 of 13
ACE - Expert

You did not tell us where the receiver came from.

99% sure I know what is happening. Your R22 was in an installation where there was an HD receiver so it was "updated" to HD. 

That means when you select a channel it will look for the HD version. Since you do not have HD it won't find it. You need to reset your R22 so it is set to suppress HD channels and then when you select a channel it will be the SD one.

Settings>display>preferences>guide HD channels> hide hd channels

Message 10 of 13
Tutor

Hi Juniper, Well, thank you so much for info-I guess we have been watching "HD" channels w/o HD subscription so pic is not as great, but we did not care as we don't watch much reg. TV, just news sometimes. so, I don't know what MPEG-4 IS EITHER. Just know my old box (R15-300)started showing a 771 and the replacement box(R-22-100R) did the same thing, then a tech talked me thru it and channel guide came up, but all channels that we used to watch now have an HD after them and are unavailable. So we checked all wires and dish, but still in the quandary-now we are trying to get someone to fix it, but never get a person-almost ready to pull plug and get off the grid.(i.e. ROKU) Again thank you. JJI

Message 11 of 13
ACE - Expert

@JohnnyJim

If the R22 is on a non-HD TV, regardless if you have HD or not, then there is two settings to check.

Menu > Settings & Help > Settings > Display > Preferences > Guide HD Channels. Change "Hide SD Duplicates" to "Hide HD Channels".

… Display > Resolutions. Make sure only the highest one your TV supports has the box checked.

MPEG is a way to encode and compress video. The older MPEG-2 will shutdown April 2019. Since you had a R15 your home is setup for MPEG-2 which will become unusable in a few months. Good thing is the R22 is MPEG-4 (only model listed as SDDVR that is), but DirecTV will need to provide you a new receiving dish at least. Call DirecTV back and ask for their MPEG swap program, including replacing any other boxes that are lower than R22.

Message 12 of 13
Tutor

Thank you You have been a great help. Direct tv lady walked us thru it and now we see that we will need new dishes…thanks again! JJ
Message 13 of 13
Share this topic
Share this topic
Learn how to troubleshoot your DIRECTV DVR & Receiver. View DVR & Receiver Help!
Additional Support