Helpful Links

missing local channels on DTV /TIVO receiver

missing local channels on DTV /TIVO receiver

Many people with old DTV / TIVO boxes have been losing their local channels supposedly because DTV changed to a guide format that is only compatible with the 6.4 version of the operating system software. I lost my local channels around April 1st and filed a complaint with Directv corporate headquarters. Since that date a DTV representative has contacted me every week with an updated status. Last week they told me software updates are being re-enabled for anyone that didn’t have the 6.4 software version.  They said in order to get the update, you need to have the receiver connected to a working phone line and initiate a phone call by going to the Directv menu / read new messages and settings / settings / phone / connect to dvr service now / and then restart the receiver after the phone call is complete. If the Directv menu / read new messages and settings / system information / display shows you have version 6.4, then your local channels should return. Today, I called the Directv representative and told her I tried this for a week and it didn’t work and that as far as I know based on what’s been posted on all the forums, it’s not working for anyone else either. She said she would flag this as urgent and forward this information up the line.

I also told her that someone, probably with system access, was deleting entire threads (as opposed to offensive or inappropriate postings) on this forum that pertain to this problem and that it wasn’t helpful as the threads let people know they are not alone in having this problem and contain a lot of useful information about options and what doesn’t work (like paying $50 dollars for a service call).  In the event this thread / post gets deleted, I suggest anyone having this problem check out related posts at http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=7 and http://www.dbstalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=194

Message 1 of 254
Teacher

Re: missing local channels on DTV /TIVO receiver

Thank you for the update.

Message 2 of 254
ACE - Expert

Almost every one of the TiVo-related threads has descended into abuse or other comments which are against the terms and conditions of the forum, which I assume is why the moderator has deleted them (the moderator is from DirecTV, and none of us work for DirecTV).

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 254
Teacher

Agreed!

If you need to field test, I could be available. I've got two 'guinea pigs' to use- contact me.

Staying tuned. lol.

Message 4 of 254
ACE - Expert

OK ... finally some news from our DirecTV contacts. Hopefully this gets things moving in a positive direction. v6.4a software IS available via Tivo phone calls, so your boxes SHOULD be updating. DirecTV has requested that you provide the following information here to help them work with Tivo to troubleshoot why you're not getting the v6.4a update.

• Your Tivo model number?
  • What Tivo software version do you currently have?
  • Your Tivo Service Number (TSN)? .... Should be in the system information display.
  • Does your Tivo have any "modifications" to its original software?
  • TV brand & model number?
  • How is your Tivo connected to your TV?
  • If you have an HR10-250 HD Tivo, what video output resolution(s) are you using?
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 254
Employee

DirecTV confirmed that the 6.4a software update is on the stream.  they are asking folks that are not able to download this software by having  the TIVO dial in to post back with your Tivo Service Number (TSN) and the model number of the receiver in question

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 6 of 254
Teacher

Should it happen right away or require several rounds of call/reboot?

Message 7 of 254
Employee

if the software is in fact on the stream, it should happen right away.  but a reboot wouldn't hurt.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 8 of 254

Quote: Originally Posted by litzdog911 

OK ... finally some news from our DirecTV contacts. Hopefully this gets things moving in a positive direction. v6.4a software IS available via Tivo phone calls, so your boxes SHOULD be updating. DirecTV has requested that you provide the following information here to help them work with Tivo to troubleshoot why you're not getting the v6.4a update.

• Your Tivo model number?
  • What Tivo software version do you currently have?
  • Your Tivo Service Number (TSN)? .... Should be in the system information display.
  • Does your Tivo have any "modifications" to its original software?
  • TV brand & model number?
  • How is your Tivo connected to your TV?
  • If you have an HR10-250 HD Tivo, what video output resolution(s) are you using?

• Your Tivo model number?  Hughes SD-DVR40
  • What Tivo software version do you currently have? 6.3e-01-2-151
  • Your Tivo Service Number (TSN)? .... Should be in the system information display. 351-0000-A0A1-31DD
  • Does your Tivo have any "modifications" to its original software? No
  • TV brand & model number? Hughes SD-DVR40
  • How is your Tivo connected to your TV? Coax
  • If you have an HR10-250 HD Tivo, what video output resolution(s) are you using? n/a

BTW, still shows last successful service data download as 5/2.

Message 9 of 254

^Just realized the 2nd "Brand/Model Number" was for my TV -- wasn't expecting that.  Anyway, mine's a standard def. 27" Sanyo VIZON, model # HT27546.

Message 10 of 254
Mentor

i didnt know hughes made a tv

Message 11 of 254
Mentor

nice

Message 12 of 254

Quote: Originally Posted by viclovr 
i didnt know hughes made a tv

LOL, yeah, I wondered why it wanted my receiver model twice, then looked at it rightthe 2nd time around.Tongue out  Just wasn't looking for any questions about the equipment I have connected post receiver. 

Really excited to see some new goings on!

Message 13 of 254
Teacher

Nothing yet on my two:

• Your Tivo model number?  R10
  • What Tivo software version do you currently have?  6.1 and 6.3
  • Your Tivo Service Number (TSN)?  521-0001-908F-7DC1  and  521-0001-90D8-FC75
  • Does your Tivo have any "modifications" to its original software?  No
  • TV brand & model number?  Vizio lcd  and old JVC tube. Don't have model #'s yet...
  • How is your Tivo connected to your TV?   coax
  • Message 14 of 254
    ACE - Expert

Information provided to DirecTV.  Stay tuned.  

Message 15 of 254
    Share this topic
    Announcements

Welcome to the DIRECTV DVR & Receivers boards! Check out our troubleshooting articles below and don’t forget to search the forums - your question may have been answered already!

Is your service down? Click here to chat with us!

Additional Support