Explore & discover

Helpful Links

is it worth it to go from HR24 to genie

Tutor

is it worth it to go from HR24 to genie

I currently do not have genie.  I am qualified for the genie upgrade.  I have an HR24 and H24 receivers. We also use in rv with Winegard Trav'ler.

Would it be worth it to do the upgrade ar is it not an upgrade at all.   

Thanks

Message 1 of 14
Teacher

Re: is it worth it to go from HR24 to genie

I would maybe swap one of the H2x receivers with an HR44/HR54 genie.  DO NOT get the Genie2 model-HS17.  That unit will not allow any other receivers besides wired/wireless clients.  So they would remove the receiver from your RV and you would have to have a completely separate account for just the RV unit. 

Message 2 of 14
Tutor

Thank you We move the current receivers from house to rv, is that not possible with genie? Do we have a choice of what receiver we would get from DTV as an upgrade? Are these pre Genie 2 wired receivers?
Message 3 of 14
Teacher

If you got the genie 2 you would not be able to move receivers like that.  When you call in for the upgrade they will tell you what they have to offer.  AT&T seems to be pushing the genie 2 very hard.  BUT you may still have a free regular genie upgrade available if that is the case I would do that. The main genie unit is wired. Then you can get either wired or wireless clients that are like little satellite boxes.  I would keep the HR24's and the H2x's you have though. I would not swap those for the "clients" beside the H2x you would replace the Genie server with. upgrades like this get a little hairy and I apologize in advance if this is not the most comprehensive explanation.  But in short avoid Genie 2, only get a Genie server unit and do not get the clients if at all possible. 

Message 4 of 14
Tutor

Thanks again I don't understand what the Genie will do that makes it worthwhile. Is the main feature home home DVR?
Message 5 of 14
Teacher

Got it.  Well the genie has more tuners.  The HR24 you currently have has only two- the Genie unit has 5 tuners.  This basically means you can record more things at once and or share recordings with different receivers at once.  Also the genie has twice the storage as the HR24. Less time deleting recordings and such. Do understand, that the Genies have a new user interface and a different type of remote.  People have been giving their personal opinion on the new user interface (how it looks and works in menu, guide, list.) I personally don't mind it.  But it is a bit of a learning curve since you are use to the remote you have and also format of your receiver. 

Message 6 of 14
Tutor

Thank you for answering my questions.
Message 7 of 14
Teacher

Again I apologize.  I hope what I have said makes some sense. 

Message 8 of 14
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by Digital Assistant (Digital Assistant)
Accepted by ATTForumsBot
‎11-08-2019 9:54 AM

Genie (HR34, HR44, HR54) is a 5 tuner HDDVR with a 1TB hard drive, compared to the 2 tuner and 500GB hard drive of your HR24.

Genie does work with your other boxes, so normally recommended to replace a non-DVR model such as your H24. Whole Home DVR simply lets you access each DVR's recording list from the other boxes. The Whole Home feature only works on the same cabling, so a DVR at home could not speak to one in the RV as they are in different places.

Genie, as with all DVRs, does not have the Autotune feature your H24 does. Matters for a few people so mentioning just in case.

Upgrading to a Genie usually includes up to so many Mini Genie Clients. They do not have tuners or recording space of their own as they are extensions of the Genie. Do not replace any DVRs with Genie or Mini, only non-DVRs so you don't lose capability. As a note Minis cannot work without the main box. If you have two H24s, it might be easier to replace one with Genie and keep the other instead of a Mini, especially since it keeps the dedicated tuner.

All Genie systems since the HR44 are receiving the new graphical user interface (GUI), the new style menu. It is still a work in progress, but much improved when the software first updated. They also use the new RC7X series of remotes (Genie or "peanut" style).

All Genie boxes (and the latest HD non-DVR H25) are SWM only, unlike your current boxes which can work on both the old and new cabling. Something to check with your RV setup.

A caution note for RVs. Many RV setups are for MPEG-2 (SD only). Directv is finally turning off the remaining MPEG-2 feeds starting April 2019. If you are setup to receive HD in the RV then you would be fine. But anyone who has an older receiving dish setup in the RV that is MPEG-2 will have to change it within the next year. And to be clear your boxes are fine as any HD box is minimum MPEG-4.

Genie requires the services of HD ($10), DVR ($10), and Whole Home DVR ($3). Since you already have a HDDVR, and you are replacing an existing box, the only monthly cost difference would be $3 if you don't already have Whole Home DVR.

Lastly, do NOT, get the Genie-2 (HS17). This only allows Clients on the account which would require replacing all your boxes and is not designed to move on a regular basis, so is not a system friendly for RV'rs.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 9 of 14

We've had nothing but problems with the genie since we switched. It has had many problems I've never had with the other boxes. The genies not worth it imo! 

Message 10 of 14
Tutor

Thanks for all of your replies. I think we will stay with what we have now.
Message 11 of 14
ACE - Expert

@DivaLaStarr wrote:

We've had nothing but problems with the genie since we switched. It has had many problems I've never had with the other boxes. The genies not worth it imo! 

The 2nd/3rd generation Genie (HR44/HR54) are fine, but work best if HDDVRs on your other TVs and not Mini Genie Clients.

The 1st generation (HR34) is no longer available per slow processor could not keep up and known for overheating. The later 2 models resolved those issues.

The Genie-2 (HS17) for various reasons is not recommended. Post launch bugs, even if were fixed, still leaves it with many restrictions by purposeful design.

Though the new Genies, and Genie-2, get the new menu design which is still being smoothed out so can understand holding off on the upgrade because of that. What could be done instead is replace one H24 with a HDDVR to get the same capabilities as the others. Then when the next upgrade is available replace the remaining H24 with the Genie if you are ready. Just do not replace an HDDVR with the Genie so you don't lose what you've already recorded and the additional tuners.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 12 of 14

test

Message 13 of 14
ACE - Expert

@zellems123 wrote:

test

Yes this thread from last year is still accessible. Question?

Message 14 of 14
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support