Explore & discover

Helpful Links

internet connection - have to have same for all boxes?

Contributor

internet connection - have to have same for all boxes?

I have a Model: HR54-200 along with 3 minis - 1 is C61K-700, other 2 are C61-500.  These boxes are scattered around the house and not every location can a device access my 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz router.  I have 2 questions - do all the minis get their internet setup info from the HR54-200?  When I go to the minis - the setup option is not available?  I would like to setup the boxes in the rooms that can reach the 5Ghz to connect to 5 Ghz.  The HR54-200 is in a room that can only connect to the 2.4 Ghz.  That question may be moot as I may not understand the need for internet hookup anyway.  I thought it was for on demand - that the main box pulled the on demand from the internet and then pushed to the minis?  Does it push to the minis through the coax or through wifi?  Is there no wifi connection for the minis?  (I have ordered a repeater/extender than can do 5Ghz - hoping that will resolve my issue - but would still like to understand how DVR and on-demand work - through coax or wifi). Thank you.

Message 1 of 5
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by jbrophy
‎05-04-2017 6:23 AM

Re: internet connection - have to have same for all boxes?

Right.  Only the HR54 requires an internet connection.  The Mini's are simply "slaves" of the main HR54 Genie DVR.  The Mini's connect via their satellite coax cables over the DECA network created by the HR54.  

If your HR54's WiFi connection is working fine, then there's no need to change anything. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 5
Contributor

Thank you.  Wish i had realized the minis did not need wifi when it was initially set up.  I would have put the main box in the room that can connect to 5Ghz...  I just tried moving the main box to that room(where a mini is) but apparently you can't move the boxes yourself (get a 775 error) - directtv wants $50 for unplugging the 3 wires and walking it down the hall to the room, unplugging the mini and plugging in the main box...  they have some magic command/wire signal check that only they can do...  so - i will order a 5Ghz repeater instead.  it's the cheap/scammy little things like this that make me angry with utility companies.  you are getting plenty of money from me every month.  can i at least move the box to another room by myself...  thank you for your response - really helped me understand the setup now. cheers.

Message 3 of 5
ACE - Expert

You just need to change the coax at the SWM splitter so that the coax from that room is connected to the red power pass through port on the left side.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 5
Highlighted
Contributor

Thank you for the suggestion.  When I tried to get it going yesterday, I did try to swap the cables at the origination point outside the house.  Unfortunately, the coax for the 2 rooms are the same cable coming into the house.  long story short - when we bought this house - we found at least 10 cable outlets as the previous owner went nuts with splitters and such - we terminated a bunch.  so i am not sure where the SWM splitter is installed - it is not in the box outside where everything originates.  maybe up by the dish or inside - i was with the installer that day and i don't remember anything coming into the house except the boxes and power cords.  i went ahead and ordered the 5Ghz extender/repeater.  hoping that helps.  if not - will go on a hunt for the SWM splitter. thanks!

Message 5 of 5
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support