Helpful Links

how do I get by the "CANNOT DETECT SWM" message on the dish set up screen?

Tutor

how do I get by the "CANNOT DETECT SWM" message on the dish set up screen?

I have always taken my receiver to the cottage when I got there for vacation.  Last fall, my system was upgraded to a 17 (on the menu) which included a power supply and some filters on the boxes.  Now when I take one of the controllers to the cottage, I can no longer connect.  I called support and they told me to take the filters off the box I take to the cottage and change the settings to select the appropriate SLIMLINE dish I have there. I did that, but now I can't find a signal.  I get a message on the setup page when I select the Slimline dish, that says it CANNOT DETECT SWM.  Can someone suggest what I need to do to get reception at the cottage?  My wife is getting annoyed that we can't get tv here.  I have been a DIRECTTV customer for 13+ years

Message 1 of 16
Employee

Re: how do I get by the "CANNOT DETECT SWM" message on the dish set up screen?

what model of receiver do you have. look for the model number inside the access card door.. 

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 16
Teacher

below where you selected your dish type as "slimline", there is another drop down menu, should read SWM, click this box and select "multiswitch". this should stop it from searching for swm

Message 3 of 16
Expert

You need to respond to Peds48's question.  While Cabney's advice is correct for some model receivers, it is not correct for others.  Some of the newer boxes can only be used with a SWM system.

Message 4 of 16
Teacher

yes, but OP says his equipment is new as of last fall, nearly 1 year ago. all the boxes from this time will connect to slimline, well besides a H25.

good catch dcd.

if it is a H25 you will need to take a diff box with you. If it is a H24, H22, you will need B-Band converters to get the HD channels, so choosing slimeline3 would not provide correct signal as the 99 and 103 will be 0, unless you have B-Bands on it of course.

The H23 has B-Band converters built in and will be fine at both places, just make sure to change SWM and Multiswitch.

we could help a lot more with the model of the box you are working with...

Message 5 of 16
Tutor

The model number is r22-100.  The receiver is about 3 years old.

Message 6 of 16
Tutor

changing to multiswitch just changed the message indicating that it could not connect to the satellite dish.

I bought a new satellite cable to make sure it was the highest quality connection I could make.

Message 7 of 16
Tutor

Do I need to connect the b-band filter to the box to get the connection? the message in the set up indicated I should not connect it!

Message 8 of 16
Teacher

If your dish is KaKu, (non swm) then yes if you are looking for HD channels. If not then you can set the dish type to "Round 18". This will allow you to get signal from the 101 only. Make sure if selecting Round 18 you use Multiswitch down below. Once you do this hit Continue and it will change the software to look for SD channels.

If you want HD and have the B-Bands, select Slimline 3 and Multiswitch, then Continue.

You sure you dont have a swm set up and need a power inserter?

Message 9 of 16
Employee
Solution
Accepted by Anonymous
Accepted by Anonymous
‎07-30-2013 4:32 PM

and what type of dish is at the cottage.  If you an 18 round dish, here are the steps to change the dish type

Here are the steps to change the dish settings.

From the Menu

Using the Arrow buttons navigate to - select Parental, Favorites, Setup - press Select button

Using the Arrow buttons navigate to highlight - select System Set Up - press Select button

Using the Arrow buttons navigate to highlight - select Satellite - press Select button

Using the Arrow buttons navigate to highlight - select Repeat Satellite Setup - press Select button

Follow the on screen instructions and press the - Dash button

A new screen will be shown

Use the Arrow buttons navigate to Switch - then press the Select button

In the drop-down box use the Arrow buttons to highlight  02 Multiswitch then press Select button

Use the Arrow buttons and highlight Dish Type - press the Select button

In the drop-down box use the Arrow buttons to highlight 01-18" round then press the Select button

Use the Arrow buttons to navigate to Continue until you can hight light - Watch DirectTV

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 10 of 16
Tutor

Thank you for your help.. By defining the dish as round with multi switch, even though it was an oval dish with 3 LNB's,. I finally got it to work. I had to move the dish to the end of my dock as I was not receiving a signal anymore.  Some trees had grown higher and appear to be blocking the signal. .  I now need to cut some trees to ensure the signal is strong... but that will have to wait until the next visit to the cottage.

Message 11 of 16
Expert

You could have specified oval 3LNB dish in lieu of the round, but the reception would be the same either way.  Directv broadcasts little on the 119 and nothing on the 110 satellites.

Message 12 of 16
Teacher

I just bougt a direct tv reciever H25 and a sl5s4nr5-01 dish. Have been trying to get it working for two days now. any help would be appriciate. It keeps giving me (A ste;;ote sogma; cpi;d mpt be detected) message.

Message 13 of 16
Teacher

that should be A satellite signal could not be detected

Message 14 of 16
ACE - Expert

@eoclacok, thanks for starting your own new thread. See responses there.   

https://forums.att.com/t5/Satellite-Dish/can-not-detect-satellite-signal/m-p/4931696#M1379

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 15 of 16
Share this topic
Announcements...

Welcome to the DIRECTV DVR & Receivers boards! Check out our troubleshooting articles below and don’t forget to search the forums - your question may have been answered already!

Is your service down? Click here to chat with us!

Additional Support