Explore & discover

Helpful Links

genie wireless client versus RVU

Mentor

genie wireless client versus RVU

I'm moving a TV that has a coax-wired Genie client into a room with no coax connection. There is network access in that room (both Ethernet and WiFi - same network that the Genie box is on). I also have two other coax-wired Genie clients in other rooms that need to continue working.

I'm want to get opinions as to which option I should use to connect the TV in the new room and also if I've overlooked any options below.

1) Wireless Genie client

2) RVU-capable TV. I'm never played around with the RVU feature before and given some that I've read I'm not sure that it is a viable option going into the future.

Thanks in advance.

Tags (2)
Message 1 of 11
ACE - Expert

Re: genie wireless client versus RVU

RVU needs a coax so you are stuck with a WVB and C41/61W mini client or coax.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 11
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by JasiuK
‎10-20-2018 10:15 AM

The only wireless option is the C41W, or recently seen C61W. They connect to the main Genie by a proprietary wireless network via the DirecTV wireless video bridge (WVB), not by your home internet.

RVU TVs still have DirecTV install them, but are dependent on the TV maker keeping it up to date which are known for not being timely on this. If your specific RVU ceased to be compatible, DirecTV will not replace your TV. So far RVU TVs run the RVU slower than current model Mini Genie Clients.

RVU and wireless Clients, just like regular Clients, have no capabilities of their own, so steal a tuner from the main Genie and use its recording space. You can pair more Clients to a Genie then you can use at the same time, but still pay for all of them as authorized TVs.

An HDDVR instead of a Client, provides 2 tuners, 500GB recording space, and independent processing. An upgrade by DirecTV to any wired model would have a tech to install it with all the needed cabling. You don't already need coax existing, otherwise new installs could not be done. There is no monthly cost difference between any Client, HDDVR, or even HD non-DVR.

As a note the Genie-2 (HS17) forbids anything that is not a Client from even being on the account. For this restrictive design, and post launch issues, it is recommended to stay away from this one. The 2nd/3rd generation Genie (HR44 and HR54) are the good Genies.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 3 of 11
Mentor

Thanks for your help, Juniper!

I have an HR44/500 Genie.

Regarding the WVB, does that just connect to the coax via my existing SWM? And then just need to be placed in range to communicate with the wireless client?

If the picture I see of the WVB on Amazon is correct, it looks like it has two coax connectors (one seems to have a terminator) and also an Ethernet port. I assume the second coax connector is if this is put somewhere that there is an active client - to continue to connection to that client.  Is that right?

Also, what is the Ethernet port for?

Finally, do I have to schedule an installation for this or is it possible to do it myself?

Thanks again!

Message 4 of 11
ACE - Expert

Yes the WVB uses coax to connect to the SWM splitter, the second coax connector can be used to add more WVBs or receivers.

Message 5 of 11
Mentor

The good news is that I got the wireless mini and WVB ordered. It required installation but they waived the install fee (or they waived the equipment fee - both were same price). Goes in Friday.

The bad news is that it was once again almost an hour on the phone to get something done with them - seems to be even worse since the acquisition. At least the people I talked to (was handed off to a second person after the first couldn't seem to get it done) were competent and kept apologizing because it was all taking so long.

I really wish they'd figure out how to execute something this simple via the web site.

Message 6 of 11
ACE - Expert

@JasiuK

Upgrades are expected through the website again one day. Right now they have been moving account access from the DriecTV website to the AT&T website, so not all online options are available again just yet.

Make sure to read the order confirmation they sent. Want to make sure everything is as expected. You can modify, or close the order if needed, until equipment is installed and activated (though preferably before the tech arrives of course). Hope you have success with the wireless option and have no need of the independent capabilities of a regular receiver. My household couldn't use wireless as we need the tuners of a normal HDDVR (and I like the piece of mind that if my Genie goes down, or resets, it doesn't affect my other TVs).

Message 7 of 11
Mentor

I can report success, with the only glitch that the tech didn't show up for the first appointment. She made it today and the install was easy. I received a C61W.

An implementation detail: The WVB is a ARRIS router acting as an access point for a 5GHz wifi network through which the client communicates. It put itself onto a UNI-2 Ext channel (136) so there are no interference issues with the home network. The main reason for mentioning this is that if someone is thinking about a similar installation - The WVB / client distance needs to be comparable to the distance between a client and 5GHz WiFi access point. 5GHz in general has a shorter range than 2.4GHz (but faster transmission speeds).

I haven't plugged anything into the Ethernet port to figure out what, if anything, that does, but being a networking nerd I certainly will Smiley Wink.

Message 8 of 11
Teacher

I have a 2016 Samsung Smart TV and was using the 4K Mini Genie for 2 years.

I just trashed the 4K Mini Genie because I was having HDMI issues and switched over the Samsung RVU mode.

I must say I am sorry I did not do this 2 years ago.

The Samsung 2016 Smart TV with built in RVU works much better than the external 4K Mini Geni ever did.

It is much faster and have I think better picture clarity as well.

Message 9 of 11
ACE - Expert

That will be until Samsung decides to stop updating the software. Most have said that the minis are faster.

Message 10 of 11
ACE - Expert

@irwin12 wrote:

I have a 2016 Samsung Smart TV and was using the 4K Mini Genie for 2 years.

I just trashed the 4K Mini Genie because I was having HDMI issues and switched over the Samsung RVU mode.

I must say I am sorry I did not do this 2 years ago.

The Samsung 2016 Smart TV with built in RVU works much better than the external 4K Mini Geni ever did.

It is much faster and have I think better picture clarity as well.

It is unusual for an RVU Client to be faster than a C61K (the only 4K model). And better picture makes no sense as it doesn't change the broadcast resolution. That suggests something was wrong with your Mini Genie Client.

Message 11 of 11
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support