Explore & discover

Helpful Links

changing from standard receiver to HD receiver

Highlighted
Contributor

changing from standard receiver to HD receiver

I want to change from a standard Directv receiver to a HD Directv receiver. Can I use the same antenna dish with the HD receiver??

Message 1 of 7
ACE - Expert

Re: changing from standard receiver to HD receiver

Only until April when DTV shuts down the SD MPEG2 channels and renders the SD dish obsolete.  DTV should have sent you a email about their SD to HD upgrade.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 7
Contributor

So if I buy a HD receiver now, the old antenna dish will work and I will not
have to have a new antenna dish installed.

Message 3 of 7
ACE - Expert

But only till April as I said before.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 7
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by alpaca172
‎01-14-2019 11:03 AM

@shannon02 wrote:

But only till April as I said before.

Not correct. This is only if you don't get HD equipment.

DirecTV is shutting down the old MPEG-2 (SD only) feeds in April. After that MPEG-4 (SD and HD capable) equipment will be needed. So if you upgrade to HD you have the needed equipment going forward.

HD service is $10 a month for the account.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Tags (1)
Message 5 of 7
Contributor

Has this got something with my receiver not changing channels unless you try from about 3 feet from receiver. I have tried new batteries.  Help

Message 6 of 7
ACE - Expert

@H.Thomad wrote:

Has this got something with my receiver not changing channels unless you try from about 3 feet from receiver. I have tried new batteries.  Help

Changing from SD to HD has nothing to do with you having a problem with your remote. Make sure the front of the remote and the front panel of the DirecTV receiver are clear so that nothing is blocking the signal (even dirt/dust). If still having a problem, these issues are usually an issue with the remote itself. DirecTV offers replacements for $15, covered if you have their optional equipment protection plan, but can be cheaper through other retailers (like Amazon).

However just in case the rest of the thread matters for you in the very near future, what models are each box you have?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Message 7 of 7
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support