Helpful Links

cannot detect swm

Tutor

cannot detect swm

got a new hd44 and connected it and it can not detect swm can anyone help.

Message 1 of 13
ACE - Expert

Re: cannot detect swm

Need more information about what you connected the HR44 up to.  Did this replace a previous DVR/Receiver? What model?  Is the HR44's SAT INPUT connected to Single Wire Multiswitch dish setup?   Typically these Genie DVRs are not intended for self-installation.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 13
Tutor

replacing a hr 22.  The old hd dvr had two coaxs the new one has one.  I am replacing all the recievers in the house.  The main one with the Hr44 and all the others once I get the main genie to work.  I replace the hr 22 and connected hr 44 got a cannot detect swm. Called direct tv they indicated I need a swm which you plug into wall.  I received that several days later and still get same message.  When I turn on the receiver it asks what language.  I choose English then the next step is where it lets me choose sat type 04 slimline 5.  but the continue is grayed out and wont let me continue.  Probably cause it cant find swm

Message 3 of 13
Employee

Right, you don't have a SWM system.  you will need to schedule a service visit from DirecTV so that they can install your equipment

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 13
Tutor

What additional equipment will I need? 

Message 5 of 13
Employee

you will need a SWM LNB, power inserter, BSFs (as needed) a DECA BB adapter for internet connection, splitters (as needed)...etc

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 6 of 13
Tutor

thanks will the service tech have all this on his truck

Message 7 of 13
Employee

Yup

Employee Contributor*
Message 8 of 13
Tutor

thanks again

Message 9 of 13
Employee

you are welcome from both of us

Employee Contributor*
Message 10 of 13

Just got a new HR44 upgrade.  My old system had a SWM with two outputs - one goes to the back of the box, the other goes to the DECA BB adaptor. New SWM that came with Genie only has one output (to back of box).  Spent quite  bit of time yesterday on the phone with service.  They claim I no longer need the DECA BB device.  Is that not correct?  I tried using the old SWM to connect but they did not send a power cable for the new box (its coming in the mail) so could not try that.  Oddly the power supply "in" connection on the back of the new Genie looks strange but the port is clearly labeled "power supply". Its round and almost looks like an S-Video plug would fit there but with fewer pins. The old receiver power cord had a plug on one end and two little round tubes that went into the back of the receiver on the other end.    Service told me there are only three connections to be made.  From SWM (far left rear on receiver), HTML cable to TV and the power supply (far right side).  Not sure why this has to be that difficult.

Message 11 of 13
ACE - Master

the deca can still be used, or plug the ethernet directly into the hr44, or connect it with wireless

what was your previous receiver

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 12 of 13

previous receiver is an HR24-500

Message 13 of 13
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the DIRECTV DVR & Receivers boards! Check out our troubleshooting articles below and don’t forget to search the forums - your question may have been answered already!

Is your service down? Click here to chat with us!

Additional Support