Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Would like help connecting my DirecTV HD DVR to the internet useing wi-fi

Would like help connecting my DirecTV HD DVR to the internet useing wi-fi

want to conect my HD DVR to the internet useing wi-fi but at&t internet box is ethernet only .

what do I need and who do I contact to do this?

Message 1 of 19
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by keithbuente
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

Re: help

It's always best to use a direct ethernet connection whenever possible.  More reliable than WiFi.  

What model DirecTV DVR do you have (label behind front panel access card door, or on rear panel)?  Unless it's a newer HR44 Genie DVR, you can't connect directly with WiFi unless you get a wireless Cinema Connection Kit from DirecTV.  

What model network gateway/router do you have?  If it doesn't have WiFi built-in, then you'll need to add a Wireless WiFi router.  

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 19

DVR model =HR24-200ADSL2+ router model #6200
Message 3 of 19
Scholar

well the HR24 does not have WiFI built in, so you would need a CCK from DIRECTV. But you need to make sure your ATT gateway can provide you with WiFI signals
Message 4 of 19
ACE - Expert

The HR24 does have an ethernet port.  Is it close enough to router to simply use an ethernet cable?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 19

No its about 50 feet away and I want to use 2 smart tv's also I need Wi-Fi .
Message 6 of 19
ACE - Expert

Ok, first things first .... you'll need to get WiFi in your home before you can connect anything via WiFi.  You said you have a "ADSL2+ router model #6200".  Who is your internet service provider?  I can't find any information on that model using Google.  If your router doesn't have WiFi built-in, contact your ISP for an upgrade.  Post back once you have WiFi and we can help you add a Wireless Cinema Connection Kit to enable WiFi connections for your HR24. 

Message 7 of 19
Tutor

Re: Would like help connecting my DirecTV HD DVR to the internet useing wi-fi

Model # HR54

Message 8 of 19
ACE - Expert

@ibrinkley, please start your own new thread with more details about your equipment ....

• DirecTV DVR/Receiver model numbers?
  • How connected to your home network for internet access?
  • Has this ever worked properly?
  • What troubleshooting have you tried?
  • What type of internet service do you have?
Message 9 of 19
Tutor

I CAN'T DOWNLOAD THE MOVIES. I HAVE A MODEM ABOUT 20-30 FEET FROM THE TV. I USE COMCAST AS MY PROVIDER & MY MODEM IS AN XFINITY. I TRIED PUTING WIRELESS RANGE EXTENDER IN THE LIVING ROOM BUT IT DOESN'T WORK. MY DIRECT TV GENIE IS HR54.

Message 10 of 19
Tutor

AM NEW TO ALL OF THIS. I'VE ONLY HAD DIRECTTV A MONTH. I THOUGHT WHEN THEY INSTALLED IT THEY WOULD PUT SOMETHING FOR THE INTERNET.

Message 11 of 19
ACE - Expert

@ibrinkley, yes, the installer should have completed the installation with a connection to your home network for internet access.  Call back DirecTV and request a service tech visit while you're still covered by the 90-day installation warranty.  

Message 12 of 19
Tutor

I DON'T KNOW HOW TO  START MY OWN THREAD. THIS IS ALL NEW TO ME.

Message 13 of 19
Former Employee

To start a new thread you can click on 'Ask a Question' at the top right on the blue bar.

Message 14 of 19
Tutor

my model is H44 700

Message 15 of 19
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support