Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Why should I Pay insurance for your device.

Tutor

Why should I Pay insurance for your device.

Having issues with DVR that is 6 years old. For a replacement they want me to pay 100 dollars or buy insurance plan for 9 dollars per month. This is your equipment! I pay for service. I shouldn't have to maintain equipment unless its mine. Comcast doesn't have this problem. I have called them with similar issues before and they mailed me a new one and a shipping label to return old one.

Message 1 of 13
ACE - Expert

Re: Why should I Pay insurance for your device.

Replacements are $20 for shipping or $99 for a tech to replace it unless you get the $7.99 basic protection plan that is optional there are higher priced plans to cover other electronic devices.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 13
ACE - Expert

to replace a faulty receiver, you just pay the cost of shipping. $99 is the fee for a service call

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 13
ACE - Expert

Unlike some providers, DirecTV gives us a choice .... pay $8/mo for the Equipment Protection Plan, or take our chances and pay $99 for a service ($20 to ship a replacement box).  

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Message 4 of 13
ACE - Expert

@Danny23 As others have said, you only pay shipping for a replacement receiver but reps have been known to input it wrong and give you the upgrade price. Last time I had a DVR go bad, rep said it would be $200. When I questioned that, he realized he input it wrong. I got the replacement for $20, the cost of shipping.

Message 5 of 13
Tutor

I pay the insurance and still can't get the Genie. I've waited 12 days... still no Genie.Man Sad

Message 6 of 13
Tutor

Reps wouldn't send me another reciever said I have to get service call.

Message 7 of 13
ACE - Expert

@Danny23 wrote:

When you get stupid answers like that, call again.  Play the "CSR Roulette" game.  The policy should be well understood.

Message 8 of 13
ACE - Expert

@MamaBr wrote:

I pay the insurance and still can't get the Genie. I've waited 12 days... still no Genie

The equipment protection plan is optional and has nothing to do with if or when you get the box. It just covers costs like delivery of $19.95.

Check the email confirmation of the order, online or even if needed to call customer care, to check the tracking of your replacement. It is holiday season so shipping is not the fastest, but 12 days is a bit long.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
Message 9 of 13
ACE - Expert

@Danny23 wrote:

A service call is only needed if it is an upgrade (not all are plug in play depending on your current setup), or in the case of a technical issue where they determine the problem is beyond just the box and need to work on the cabling, receiving dish, etc.

If it is just a warranty replacement, then yes it should just be drop shipped.

Could you provide more details about why you are replacing a box and what reasons were given for a service call if you were doing a warranty replacement instead of an upgrade?

Message 10 of 13
Tutor

Told rep that DVR recordings would play sometimes and sometimes no pic or
sound. You would have to turn unit off and on. All recordings have a glitch
every so often. I think hard drive is corrupted. You can tell it to record
the next show coming on, unit will confirm then will not record. No error
codes.
Message 11 of 13
ACE - Expert

If the issue is only with the playback of recordings, and just this box, then that would suggest a warranty replacement being drop shipped as normal.

What model of DVR you are having issues with?

Message 12 of 13
Tutor

It also covers broken equipment. I am paying 0 for the new Genie.

Message 13 of 13
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support