Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Why pay insurance

Highlighted
Contributor

Why pay insurance

If I’m renting your equipment and it malfunctions why do I have to pay $99 to have a repair guy come out or pay you a monthly insurance to fix it for “free”

Message 1 of 3
ACE - Expert

Re: Why pay insurance

You own everything but the receivers to maintain.  DTV replaces defective receivers for $ 20 for shipping or covered with the protection plan.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 3
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by ACE - Expert (ACE - Expert)
Accepted by litzdog911
‎03-16-2019 8:49 PM

Re: Why pay insurance

@Stickittome wrote:

If I’m renting your equipment and it malfunctions why do I have to pay $99 to have a repair guy come out or pay you a monthly insurance to fix it for “free”

You don't rent the equipment. DirecTV has never had a rental option.

Years ago boxes had the option of owned or leased, but with the 1st Genie they went to lease only. There is no difference in monthly cost. You pay for the receiver services (HD, DVR, Whole Home DVR) and for each additional TV ($7) authorized on the account regardless on what kind of box it has.

Unlike some other providers, DirecTV gives you a choice. Pay the one-time costs as needed which are $99 service call, $19.95 if just delivery of box, $15 for a replacement remote (though remotes can be cheaper online through authorized retailers such as Amazon) or you get the optional equipment protection plan for a low stable cost. One-time costs are cheaper in the long run, but some people prefer always in the monthly bill as easier for them to budget it in.

Only the receiver boxes and clients are leased. Everything else is owned (coax, receiving dish, BB Decas, wireless video bridge, cinema connection kit, etc.) so in their terms of service we as the customer are responsible for maintenance repair cost. We just have the two options, one-time cost or protection plan, to cover it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 3 of 3
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support