Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Why pay DirectTV to fix equipment owned by DirecTV?

Teacher

Why pay DirectTV to fix equipment owned by DirecTV?

The problem is that I believe I have a marginallhy bad LNB (one of three) as I have been an electronic engineer for 30 years and these things are easy to diagnose.  I lose some channels dueing the hotest part of the day while others work fine.  The 771 message says searching for signal.  I understand failures can occur, but I am not understanding what I heard from DirecTV about the cost to send someone here to fix it. I think this URL pretty much says it all... http://glenhamilton.com/DIRECTV.htm

After 12 years being a customer at this location and 7 years at another location, DirecTV doesn't care anything about customer loyalty.  I called my cable company to see about costs and apparently it cost nothing to install equipment, nothing to come repair it if it fails, nothing for extra room receivers, and nothing to cancel if I want to stop the service and take back the equipment.  Looks like I will be switching soon.

So here I am wondering why I should pay $50 for a service call that is clearly to fix a problem with the equipment when it still is owned by DirecTV and most customers even have to pay an initial fee to get the equipment in the first place.  Doesn't sound right that customers should have to pay for equipment, pay installation, pay for service, and then still give it back at the end of service.  It is entirely opposite of what the cable company is doing, and the cost of the provided channel content is the same!

Message 1 of 55
Contributor

Re: Why pay DirectTV to fix equipment owned by DirecTV?

I am new to Direct TV and was not told about the 99 service fee until the technician handed me the phone and said goodbye as I began to speak to the person the  line. That is when I was told I would have to pay a monthly fee after the first 30 days and issues were only covered during that period without a fee. I had two representatives speak to me and was told technical issues where taken care of by Direct TV.  Misleading the customer and hiding verbiage in a contract is a deceptive practice.

Message 46 of 55
ACE - Expert

@stonecollector wrote:

I am new to Direct TV and was not told about the 99 service fee until the technician handed me the phone and said goodbye as I began to speak to the person the  line. That is when I was told I would have to pay a monthly fee after the first 30 days and issues were only covered during that period without a fee. I had two representatives speak to me and was told technical issues where taken care of by Direct TV.  Misleading the customer and hiding verbiage in a contract is a deceptive practice.

The monthly fee $7.99 is optional. Without it service calls are $99, delivery of replacement boxes $19.95, replacement remotes $15.

However Directv has maintained a 90 day worry free guarantee on work done. So if they have to go back out from issues of initial install, or later work within that time frame, there is no charge for the following service call. If after 90 days there would be a charge. Though sometimes if it is within the 1st year you 'might' get some flexibility such as discounting it as if properly done the setup works properly for a long time.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 47 of 55
Highlighted
Contributor

I am beginning to think that after 25 yrs @$1,200 PLUS a year.

My Directv company is beginning to NOT be helpful in resolving your Issues.

I have a box that has two codes 771 & 775 Hmmmm?

was on the phone for over an hour with the Tech team trying EVERYTHING to get the signal

to connect to my tv...   NADA, Nothing,

So in the end the Rep suggested sending a repair man to find out the problem

and it would be a charge of $69.00 to have one come up...

I will NOT pay for LOSS OF SATELLITE SIGNAL....

I am pretty sure there is SOMEONE that can give me a courtesy call....

So disappointed in Directv.......

Oh by the way, 25 years times $1,200 a year

I've paid well over $30,000 to keep Directv in my life, in the

beginning Directv was the best there could, It made sure they resolved ALL

the issues I had with them..

Not at all happy with them treating me like I was a new customer...

Looking into different options!!!

Message 48 of 55
ACE - Expert

771 and 775 both indicate a problem with your equipment, not with the DirecTV signal. No-one can fix it unless they come to your house.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 49 of 55
ACE - Expert

Service calls are $99 so $69 is better.

Message 50 of 55
ACE - Expert

@BirdBiologist

Per DirecTV's terms of service since you started, you pay for service calls unless you have their optional equipment protection plan. This is because we own most of the equipment. Only the receiver/client boxes are still owned by DirecTV. So they have always charged for service calls for all customers. Though the current cost is $99, so if you were quoted $69 then you were being offered a discount on it.

If they do a better deal on the service call then great. However you are not a more special customer than the rest of us no matter how long you have had the service.

And DirecTV does not give courtesy calls. You want to speak with DirecTV then you call them. Not the other way around.

Message 51 of 55
ACE - Master

@BirdBiologist wrote:

@I am beginning to think that after 25 yrs @$1,200 PLUS a year.

My Directv company is beginning to NOT be helpful in resolving your Issues.

I have a box that has two codes 771 & 775 Hmmmm?

was on the phone for over an hour with the Tech team trying EVERYTHING to get the signal

to connect to my tv...   NADA, Nothing,

So in the end the Rep suggested sending a repair man to find out the problem

and it would be a charge of $69.00 to have one come up...

I will NOT pay for LOSS OF SATELLITE SIGNAL....

I am pretty sure there is SOMEONE that can give me a courtesy call....

So disappointed in Directv.......

Oh by the way, 25 years times $1,200 a year

I've paid well over $30,000 to keep Directv in my life, in the

beginning Directv was the best there could, It made sure they resolved ALL

the issues I had with them..

Not at all happy with them treating me like I was a new customer...

Looking into different options!!!

get the protection plan, then its free

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Message 52 of 55
ACE - Expert

@BirdBiologist

Service calls $99, delivery of replacement boxes $19.95, remotes $15.

Or get the optional equipment protection plan ($8.99 monthly) that covers those costs. (I don't suggest this option as over the years the one-time costs are cheaper as you shouldn't need them very often).

Being with DirecTV for any number of years does not entitle you to service calls being free. If you want a service call, and are not subscribed to the protection plan, then you pay for it as in your terms of service.

Message 53 of 55
Tutor

The reason DTV does not provide a contract before your purchase and also any defects on the installation it is not DTV responsibility..They can change the cost and fees and any other contract agreements so they can increase the fees any amount they want .  when they change any agreement in the contract then if you do not agree then you tell the customer service rep I am cancelling because AT&T has changed the contract .. that is how you cancel the service ..

You are the customer that is going to pay for the defective install and the very low quality equipment ..I still have MY RCA receiver that still works lucky for me .. DOM 2004 and still working .. these new receivers  and remotes are chinese crap.

I have back up remotes because they fail .. the batteries last longer than the remotes ..

AT&T jan2019 has changed the customer service .. it is a long long process if you looking for changing the service .. last year I took 30 sec and was done .. now 15-30 min to get the service changed.. also AT&T  customers  leave because of many issues,  this company is not responding and helping customers with THEIR EQUIPMENT !

YOUR GONNA PAY TO FIX THIS MESS NOT AT&T..

My plan is high speed internet and watching tv programs thru internet ... I also have antenna so HD on sports like football is the highest quality signal .. I know there are some that must lock in with a limited TV service ..

Message 54 of 55
ACE - Expert

Installs (and upgrades) have 90 day warranty so a tech would be sent back out for free to correct any issues. Many times they cover it if still within the 1st year, but that is on a case by case basis and not a requirement. After that you pay for service calls as most of the equipment is owned (cabling, receiving dish, etc.) by the consumer. Only the receiver/Clients boxes are leased, which is why a replacement box is just $19.95 delivery as opposed to paying $199 or $499 (depending on level of box) for a new one. (boxes being purchase to own went away upon the launch of the 1st Genie. Lease is cheaper for the consumer as warranty is ongoing and you don't have to pay hundreds of dollars for a replacement box).

If you have a legacy RCA receiver, then that will stop working shortly once the MPEG-2 feeds are gone. They are starting to shutdown the remaining MPEG-2 feeds April 2019. Going forward you will need MPEG-4 capable equipment in order to receive the service. DirecTV is providing a complimentary swap program, but some agents go overboard with replacing more than needed or alternative upgrades which might be more than what would be best for your personal setup. I would suggest posting the models of each DirecTV box you have so that other experienced customers can give guidance, which may be better than some newer AT&T agents still learning the differences of DirecTV equipment.

DirecTV provides the service agreement before you are installed. That way you have the full terms of service informed before you are secured in. It is in the terms of service, like all TV providers that programming/channels are subject to change, after all they don't own the channels. There is no promise that if a channel goes away or changes what package it is in, that our bill will be lowered. Unfortunately networks charge TV providers more each year to be carried which results in higher cost to the customer. If DirecTV's costs go up then so does our bill.

Message 55 of 55
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support