Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Re: Why pay DirectTV to fix equipment owned by DirecTV?

Teacher

Why pay DirectTV to fix equipment owned by DirecTV?

The problem is that I believe I have a marginallhy bad LNB (one of three) as I have been an electronic engineer for 30 years and these things are easy to diagnose.  I lose some channels dueing the hotest part of the day while others work fine.  The 771 message says searching for signal.  I understand failures can occur, but I am not understanding what I heard from DirecTV about the cost to send someone here to fix it. I think this URL pretty much says it all... http://glenhamilton.com/DIRECTV.htm

After 12 years being a customer at this location and 7 years at another location, DirecTV doesn't care anything about customer loyalty.  I called my cable company to see about costs and apparently it cost nothing to install equipment, nothing to come repair it if it fails, nothing for extra room receivers, and nothing to cancel if I want to stop the service and take back the equipment.  Looks like I will be switching soon.

So here I am wondering why I should pay $50 for a service call that is clearly to fix a problem with the equipment when it still is owned by DirecTV and most customers even have to pay an initial fee to get the equipment in the first place.  Doesn't sound right that customers should have to pay for equipment, pay installation, pay for service, and then still give it back at the end of service.  It is entirely opposite of what the cable company is doing, and the cost of the provided channel content is the same!

Message 1 of 55
Voyager

This is in Red to see you later response to me. As much as I could understand your response, I'm not sure what you are talking about ? What $20 ?? I did say I paid $200 to even get direcv , something about my credit score ? Which was then over 700 , and as I said I'm getting the EXACT SAME CHANNELS that I originally received for $19.99 a month , is that the $20 you are talking about?? I'm commenting that I don't understand why every year or maybe 2 it consistently the price has consistently gone up , and is now almost $80 a month and that does include a $3 and some change for a sports fee for a channel or channels that I never ordered, and I've tried multiple times to remove since I don't even watch sports, I don't know how they can add channels on that you never ordered and then tell you, that you have to pay xtra , and they consistently tell me they will remove it but it's never removed, and they can never answer me as to why it now costs 4x's the price for the same channels ?? It's about locking you in to a price and then raising your rate , I don't feel I'm in ANY way the only one who deserves the discount , I feel it's their business practice to be shady and I never even complained untill recently ,when they raised my rate from $64 a month to $80 and have no hbo or Showtime , cinemax or any of those types of channels, but thank you for your reply
Message 31 of 55
Contributor

So when the connection between receiver and satellite cannot be picked up in the evening, but the service was working fine in the morning and all the troubleshooting did not work, I still have to pay $50 for a technician? I think it is ridiculous to pay for something like that. 

Message 32 of 55
ACE - Expert

You can get the protection plan that will cover the service call but you own the dish and everything but the receivers and you can fix it yourself but that $50 will cover anything needed to fix your system.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 33 of 55
Contributor

When I was ordering DTV I was told some problems have no service fee charge and some do.  The problem is no one seems to know what is a charge and what isn't.  

Message 34 of 55
ACE - Expert

@retiredcableguy, as far as I know, any home service visit after the 90-day warranty period costs ~$50, unless you have DirecTV's Equipment Protection Plan.  

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 35 of 55
ACE - Expert

Boxes (SD, SDDVR, HD, HDDVR, Genie or Mini Genie Client) are 'leased' unless you specificallly request purchase to own (Genie and Minis currently are lease only from Driectv, unknown if that will change). For example from options I have expereinced, HDDVR retail cost to own is $499, standard lease cost is $199 unless you qualify for a free upgrade. I got quoted the $199 cost when looking at adding an additional tv when it was about 14 months since my last upgrade. Ending up not needing the additional tv until sometime after 2yrs from last upgrade and I qualified for a free one. That says to me loyalty is rewarded, just has to be enough time between free perks as they are still a business.

The cabling, dish, remotes, and other accessories are owned once installed. Directv like many companies provides free troubleshooting over the phone or via online chat. If a receiver needs to be replaced it is $19.95 deilvery. If a service call is needed, since this is expected to be checking the connections, it is $49.95 for a service call. Delivery and service calls are covered if you are opted into the Equipment Protection Plan which is optional.

Now depending on the extent of the issue, or how far out the tech is scheduled, I would ask if Directv would adjust the appropriate services from when you called to the day of the appointment. Not gauranteed that they will, but with only a couple service calls for me in almost 15 years since I had my own account, they have been pretty good about this.

Certainly still review other companies if that is your desire. Big thing to check is that some companies charge their equipment services (HD, DVR) per box that can use it, where Directv instead has those services for the account and just a $7 additional tv/client/mirroring fee. So some companies can snowball these fees where Directv keeps it at an easy to understand flat rate.

A side note since I took the time to look at your additional opinion that you linked, ppv Movies may be 24, 48, or 72hr rentals (1-3 days). This depends on the rights to carry the movie on how long it is good for. So it is unfortunate that the movies you wanted were just 1 day, but that is not how they all are. This is why I love having my HDDVR connected to internet so I can download and pay for a ppv when I am ready, instead of trying to match up with the timeslot on live tv. This way it is on my schedule and doesn't feel like I am shorting myself on the time.

Well whether you decide to get it fixed, maybe look into an upgrade as an alternative depending on your setup, or decide you want to start over with somone else, I wish you well.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
Message 36 of 55
ACE - Expert

@BELLABELLA

The Regional Sports Network (RSN) fee is because in any package choice or above (except the new Preferred Xtra) you have access to the RSNs for your market covering your 'local' sports teams. This fee used to be covered by the cost of the package, but in the last couple of years, the cost of these networks were so different for each market that Directv had to seperate it out based on your address. If you live in New York you are looking at over $6, other areas cheaper, and some areas may not have this charge as they don't have any RSNs of their own. It is a regulatory fee, so based on your address. The only way to remove it would be either to move to a place that doesn't have an RSN or go to a package that does not include them (Family, Select, Entertainment, and now Prefered Xtra as well). This is why my household chose Preferred Xtra, we don't watch sports, and it adds in some channels from the Ultimate package level.

Now I get nobody likes a 'price adjustment' on their bill. When we first start we have an intro discount, not permanent price. This allows us to try the service and to know if started on the right package or we decide we need to rearrange later. We might end up liking other channels more than we used to so have the option to change the package at any time. On the other side of this, the cost Directv pays to the networks to carry them has gone up over the years as has with other companies. Some of this cost has to be passed on to us as the customer. So network costs go up they charge tv providers more to carry them and then tv providers have to charge more, just the reality. Directv has so far stated they absorb a good portion of this to minimize the impact to the customer, just they can't absorb it all.

Think of the gas station, would you be upset at them for not lowering the price back to the $1.07, $0.99, etc. per gallon because you have been getting gas for years? 

Message 37 of 55
Contributor

This has all been very interesting and informative.  The topics touched on here are partially germane to my problems as well.  Because I was never given the way to connect my internet to the Genie box, I can not get all the "extras" on the mobile app, nor can get any of the extras that are available to those connected to the internet on their TVs.  I also don't have a smnart TV (as a sidebar).  

Direct TV never offered me the way to do the connection and I assume that when I press it, I will be be held responsible for any equipment necessdary to make the connection (ie: very long ethernet cabling for connectors, etc).  I cannot drill through the wall since since I am only renting (the genie box is directly through the wall from the computer).

We'll see what happens when I broach the topic.

I am not litigious (sp) but I do make an effort to read fine print.  Only problem is, legaleze is not one of the languages I understand so it makes no sense to me anyway.  I also find that the installers have no patience to allow the customer to read fine print before signing the contract.

Message 38 of 55
ACE - Expert

@Peretz740

There is no additional charge to use On Demand as it is covered by your programming package. So you only get the On Demand libraries for the channels you allready have. You say you have a Genie, so if it is the 2nd or 3rd generation (HR44 or HR54) it has a wireless CCK built in. So you can connect to your wireless router without the need of any additional equipment. If on the other hand you have the 1st gen Genie (HR34) than you would call Directv to order an external wireless CCK which is an owned accessory. There is no monthly charge for a CCK, it is just an option if you don't want to hardwire your receiver to your router.

The great thing is, that with the Whole Home DVR network of your Genie, this will give you On Demand for all your other receiver boxes. This is better than the old days where you had to have an indidvidual CCK on each HDDVR.

Message 39 of 55
ACE - Expert

Genies can be connected with an Ethernet cable or have DTV install a CCK AKA DECA BB.

Message 40 of 55

Here's how I see this issue - we've been paying rent on their receivers for 10 years now. Every single month. I'm willing to bet we've more than paid them off by this point, and yet we are still renting them every single month. That monthly rental fee is now 100% profit for DTV, and they still charge a service fee to come out and repair equipment?? If and when we ever do end our service with DTV, we will return these receivers, and they will be re-leased out to the next new customers. My proposal is that after the first 2 years of continued service, the service call fee should drop to $30. Then $20 the next year, $10 the next year, so that by the time a customer has reached 5 years of consecutive service, there should no longer be a repair service fee since the company is making pure profit off the ongoing equipment lease. That seems very fair to both the customer and DTV.
Message 41 of 55
ACE - Expert

@voelker2010

Directv does not charge a rental fee as they do not have a rental option. If you are refering to the Additional TV fee (currently $7), then that is for each TV beyond the first that is authorized on the service. Owned or leased, or even a Directv Ready TV (RVU) that doesn't use a seperate box, you still pay for how many tvs it is copying/mirroring your account options to.

So you have a programming package, DVR servcie, etc for your account for one tv, then it is $7 for each tv after that no matter how it is connected, regardless of the owned/leased status of any equipment.

Message 42 of 55
Highlighted
Contributor

I completely agree with you. The notion that you own the receiving end, such as the satellite dish and the cabeling, is just a convenient, cost to labor calcuation that dtv did, and found that they'd lose more money in labor and repairs, so they made it your responsibility. Hard drives are cheap, and dvrs are easy to replace, so that part they will cover in case of (and only) complete hardware failure; but if you have a glitch or the recording skips a bit, but the receiver doesn't give a code that indicates it as such, then it's not covered. They also know that for many, dtv is the only option so they're fine with playing who flinches first - and most of the time it's levered in their favor. Trust me - they're not stupid; they have whole departments and consultants to do the math to make sure that they make money in the end, and that's all that matters.

Whether you're a dish provider or a cable provider, or even a mobil/cell provider, your priority should be your customers and their retention. But more often than not, the shareholders and the investors are the top priority in the communication service/content world. If it was up to me, i'd cut the line and just go all internet (as i personally don't watch TV but watch all my content via web, but my parents, who have dtv because of their foreign language programs) but my parents don't have the tech saviness to do so and they need them recorded for viewing later in their TV. As far as i'm concerned dtv's days are numbered - it's just a matter of time before the newer generation of people cut the cord (as they are already doing), and days of satellite content is coming to an end soon. If they were smart, they'd change their policies so they're more friendly toward free repairs and service, to keep customers who are already paying too much and not getting much they can't get online, in return. IMO. 

Message 43 of 55
Contributor

How can I get involved in this legal action ? They are thieves.

Message 44 of 55
ACE - Expert

@clerance21

There is none listed here. This has been a discussion mainly about what equipment is 'leased' or owned, and the service call or delivery costs of such. Earlier in the thread they copy/pasted information out of Directv's terms at that time for reference, but there was no legal action itself. So this has just been a discussion. If you have concerns that relate to the topic of this post, then put in the details if you would like to discuss it. If it is another matter then create your own thread. Remember we are customers helping each other out and discussing products and services, not official Directv support.

Message 45 of 55
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support