Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Why pay DirectTV to fix equipment owned by DirecTV?

Teacher

Why pay DirectTV to fix equipment owned by DirecTV?

The problem is that I believe I have a marginallhy bad LNB (one of three) as I have been an electronic engineer for 30 years and these things are easy to diagnose.  I lose some channels dueing the hotest part of the day while others work fine.  The 771 message says searching for signal.  I understand failures can occur, but I am not understanding what I heard from DirecTV about the cost to send someone here to fix it. I think this URL pretty much says it all... http://glenhamilton.com/DIRECTV.htm

After 12 years being a customer at this location and 7 years at another location, DirecTV doesn't care anything about customer loyalty.  I called my cable company to see about costs and apparently it cost nothing to install equipment, nothing to come repair it if it fails, nothing for extra room receivers, and nothing to cancel if I want to stop the service and take back the equipment.  Looks like I will be switching soon.

So here I am wondering why I should pay $50 for a service call that is clearly to fix a problem with the equipment when it still is owned by DirecTV and most customers even have to pay an initial fee to get the equipment in the first place.  Doesn't sound right that customers should have to pay for equipment, pay installation, pay for service, and then still give it back at the end of service.  It is entirely opposite of what the cable company is doing, and the cost of the provided channel content is the same!

Message 1 of 55
Scholar

Re: Why pay DirectTV to fix equipment owned by DirecTV?

Quote: Originally Posted by kaminar 

Some upset customers don't read the Customer Agreement (including legal experts and paralegals in the DA's office). Some upset customers imagine things that don't exist and then expect them to materialize. Some upset customers make generalizations about an entire industry, without any real knowledge or experience. Some upset customers exaggerate their side of a situation to make a point. Some upset customers fail to realize their account history and credit-worthiness is usually what determines upgrade qualifications. Some upset customers create a paradox when they first presume high-tech equipment is worthless, so should be free..yet demand same equipment because it's so incredibly special. Some upset customers would rather rant online in a tech support forum that is not monitored by DirecTV corporate, rather than make another call to 800-531-5000 for assistance--which can often turn the whole situation around. Some upset customers attempt to intimidate via illegal threats in the name of an elected judicial official and the State of California in a documented forum, without first considering the legal and personal ramifications of their actions---especially after identifying themselves by name. Some upset customers have not noticed the Contact Us link on the home page >> http://directv.com/email.

-=K=-

Daaaaaaaaang >.>

Message 16 of 55
Contributor

Some people post and counter-post without identifying themselves with credentials that allow them to speak in such a manor also.  You quote kaminar trying to make it sound like you are both of that genre.  I totally agree with rghamilton, as do several paralegal friends of mine.  (Shame on me for asking someone elses opinion.)  Especially after I have called customer service and made the same points as the hamiltons, on several occasions, with no help at all.  They are totally correct.  I am told by customer service that the "equipment is mine, therefore my responsibility".  When I asked them why it says that they get the equipment back upon termination of contract the individuals have NO answer except for an attempt at reversal and doublespeak.  When I ask why I need "insurance protection" for THEIR  equipment, they have no answer except to say "that's the way its set up".  When I ask why anyone with "their" equipment should pay for a service call, at least if it turns out its THEIR equipment that's bad, they revert back to "its my equipment".  WTH crap is that.  Train them to respond in a manor that keeps the customer "paying for the work" no matter what the real question is?  Heck, not one of them has been able to tell me WHY its $10 cheaper to be on auto pay then for me to pay monthly my self.  After all, someone has to program the account it for autopay and that costs money.  It shouldn't be costing them anything for me to check a box and say "take it now".

Okay, theirs my rant.  Now lets hear all the BS that you people are trained to spout off to negate a customers concern? Heres your list of questions in a nutshell:

a) Why $20 a month to terminate early?

b) Why $50 for a service call to fix YOUR equipment, since the contract says you want YOUR equipment back when contract expires or is terminated?

c) Why $10 a month discount off a bill for autopay?  doesn't that PROVE that you can afford to lower all your programs by that amount, period?

Why,when I had Dish, and at one time Cable, was NONE of the above a factor?

Message 17 of 55
ACE - Expert

First, just like every other provider, DirecTV can have whatever pricing and other policies it wants, you don't have to do business with them. Every provider has things that customers don't necessarily like, and the companies don't have to justify them.  But just a couple of comments:

Early termination fees are quite normal, have you tried to cancel your phone before your 2-year contract is up? The equipment costs more than you are paying in lease fees, and the company makes up for that from the monthly revenue.

The $50 for a service call is not to fix any specific piece of equipment, it pays for the tech to come out to your house. If anything needs replacing, the replacement hardware is free. Again, have you tried to get service on your leased phone recently? If you don't want to pay for service calls, sign up for the protection plan.

The $10 reduction for autopay reflects the fact that DirecTV does not have to chase you for late bill payment.

The only equipment that is leased is the DVR/receiver and this is the only equipment that has to be returned. Everything else is your property.

But again, none of that matters. DirecTV has a set of terms and conditions and those are what are in effect. No-one has to justify them, just like my phone company does not have to justify their terms and conditions.  If you don't like them, go to another provider. People move between providers all the time, for price, for certain channels, and so they can get "new customer" offers.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 18 of 55
Expert

I love posts were folks feel that they can set their own rules!!!!
Message 19 of 55
Contributor

We don't have to set our own rules. All we had to do was READ Directtv's

paperwork. Its all there for those who elect to read it and point out the

conflicts. Think their lawyers need lawyers to proof read.

On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 7:52 AM, peds48_installs <

Message 20 of 55
Teacher

just a quick reply about the phone service mentioned above since i am a retired phone supv with the company who bought att then changed their name to att,

yes if we came out and the problem was in your equip there was a charge but!!! we were required by the fcc to place a network interface at every customers location so that they the customer could test their line before they called in a trouble report (quite a difference}

Message 21 of 55
Contributor

I read all the comments about this issue of the 50 dollars service charge and what is equipment owned by the comapny and what is owned by the user.  What folks seem to failing to understand is not whether the customer is right or wrong or if the comapny is right or wrong.  What is right is the customer is always right.  If a comapny does not set policies that make their customers feel right, whether they are or are not, that company will fail.  If they don't fail, they sure won't be as profitable as they could be.  Customer satisfaction has to be the paramount issue any company that wants to be profitable has to abide by.  Study after study has proven this to be true.  Simple math proves this.  If someone at a comapny says or does something to a customer that casues a customer a week to leave and those customers each are spending 10 dollars a week to be part of that organizaton, how much money does that comany lose is one year.  A lot of folks would say 520 dollars, that isn't so bad.  We can live with that.  It would cost much more to be customer friendly.  But, that isnt the amount.  The 520 only accounts for the person who left the comapny for 52 weeks.  We have to add 510 dollars for the customer who left the second week.  Then we have to add 500 for the third week.  After four weeks, we are already up to 520 plus 510, plus 500 plus 490 which equals to 2020 and well still have 48 more weeks to go.  Let's carry that out for another 4 weeks.  Week five is 480, week six is 470, week seven is 460 and week eight is 450 which totals to 1860.  if we add that to 2020 it totals 3880 and we still have 44 weeks to go.  Now multiply those numbers by the hundreds that people pay each week to belong to a comapny and loses like those can be detrimental to fianancial success.  At one location, losing a 10 dollars a month totals to 13,700 bucks.  If that were a 100 dollars a month we are talking some 137,800 in just one year at one location.  So there are 50 states in the united states.  If each state is losing a customer a week in the hundred dollar a week club we are talking 7,165,600 dollars in lost revenue. 

Message 22 of 55
ACE - Expert

Yes if they are losing 50 a week, so how many do you think are signing up each week?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 23 of 55
Contributor

just like any product that you own, you pay something to fix it. whether its a mnthly fee for a protection plan or just the charge in general to fix it. i dont understand why people feel they are entitled to everything free. if you go buy a new stove or tv, you are asked if you want to add some kind of warrenty aka protection plan or extend what is currently on there for $$ so that way if something happens to the equipment it is covered. cellphones, laptops,pc's, refrigerators, your home-everything out there has some kind of maintenance that cost. I have the protection plan and i love it. theres 3, i have the 7.99 one that just covers my directv stuff only. i have coverage on every device i have through any company. like for instance my tv is made through samsung, i had to get it fixed one time-thats their product but i still had to pay something for a tech to fix it,thats before i bought another samsung tv and added pp, i agreed to add a protect plan because i didnt want to go through that again-it was pricey. no one is trying to rip anyone off so to say. the techs have to be paid as well and generally these tech visits could cost $200 up to-and if the cust chooses to opt out out of the protection plan then $50 is resonable.

Message 24 of 55
Teacher

couldn't agree with more ATT like every other modern company has lost sight of customer service I spent 35 years working for the company who bought ATT
and could see it coming because we were in the cycle of college grads being in upper management they would cave in to the _Ceo and down the tube we'd go.
Finally it would get so bad they'd have to listen to their older 2nd and 3rd line supervisors who had been brought up being told the only thing we have to sell is customer service.
I went thru this when I first signed on wanting to know where the network interface or demarc strip was and hit a blank wall they didn't even know what I was talking about.
If I do have a problem before my contract is up then will go to the Kansas Corporation Commission and get their input I cant imagine a utility company being allowed to operate without advising the customer where the demarc strip or network interface was if that's true then it sure has changed since I retired
Message 25 of 55
Teacher

Shannon all I'm asking for is you to tell me if its all my equipment and when I do discontinue my service if
you walk away and it all belongs to me that's what a demarc strip or network interface does its your's to here and from here its mine,your confusing service provided with equipment needed to provide it I'm paying for the service but shouldn't be expected to pay the company for upkeep on their equip if its mine I expect to pay for it but want someone to tell me what's mine and yours
Message 26 of 55
ACE - Expert

With DTV you own everything but the receivers and they need to be returned to DTV if they send a return box or envelope for the access card.

As for phone service it is usually on the outside wall where it enters the residence and there is usually a box. I believe with cable if you lease the Gateway/modem then it needs to be return if they send a return box and the coax is yours.

Message 27 of 55
Voyager

I went there the exact same thing, their equipment fails and I have to pay for a technician to come fix it after having to pay an initial $200 extra when I signed up for Directv and having it for over 6 years , I complained 1x about the channels not coming in and when they couldn't fix it over the phone they wanted to come out and charge me after speaking to the RUDEST WOMAN that I have ever dealt with, I ,she was sarcastic ,arrogant, condescending but I had consistently called them about overcharging me , to no avail, and every year my service doubled ,so to receive the same channels that I originally received for $19.99 a month ,I'm now currently paying $79.90 a month for the exact same channels!! No hi- def ,no Internet, no phone, no dvr and just 1 television, they have ZERO customer loyalty, BUYER BE VERY AWARE !
Message 28 of 55
Highlighted
Scholar

@BELLABELLA wrote:
I went there the exact same thing, their equipment fails and I have to pay for a technician to come fix it after having to pay an initial $200 extra when I signed up for Directv and having it for over 6 years , I complained 1x about the channels not coming in and when they couldn't fix it over the phone they wanted to come out and charge me after speaking to the RUDEST WOMAN that I have ever dealt with, I ,she was sarcastic ,arrogant, condescending but I had consistently called them about overcharging me , to no avail, and every year my service doubled ,so to receive the same channels that I originally received for $19.99 a month ,I'm now currently paying $79.90 a month for the exact same channels!! No hi- def ,no Internet, no phone, no dvr and just 1 television, they have ZERO customer loyalty, BUYER BE VERY AWARE !

I am willing to bet the $20 you used to pay was with a new customer discount. If you do not like paying $80 for your service, you should consider changing your package. If you do not have HD, DVR, or additional receivers the only thing you are probably paying for is the package and the Regional Sports fee.

Message 29 of 55
Teacher

couldn't agree with you more the answer is simple our current congress has been persuaded with campaign contributions to allow the cable companies along with most other companies to become deregulated and they can now do as they wish and we the customer have to live with it as we have no place to turn ie state corporation commissions.A good example just today after being without service going on 4 days my grandson called their tech center then gave the phone to me and I was told it would be 50 dollars to send someone out or buy a plan for 7 dollars a month which I finally did then was told it would be next Tuesday before a so called repairman would be out.Hung up the phone and my grandson kept seeing code 771 go across the screen and he said I'm going to look at it saw him get the ladder and in a few mins he came in and ask where the satellite was told him as I remembered when I had one in my camping trlr it was pretty much due south and a few degrees west he said well this is now pointing due west and it has never been tightened you can just take it and spin it around.I now have tv again and this is what they were going to charge me for.Having bought the plan I'm going to let them come out and align it right this time and as soon as my contract is up I'm gone.Call or write your congressman and tell them to regulate these companies again
Message 30 of 55
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support