Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Why pay DirectTV to fix equipment owned by DirecTV?

Teacher

Why pay DirectTV to fix equipment owned by DirecTV?

The problem is that I believe I have a marginallhy bad LNB (one of three) as I have been an electronic engineer for 30 years and these things are easy to diagnose.  I lose some channels dueing the hotest part of the day while others work fine.  The 771 message says searching for signal.  I understand failures can occur, but I am not understanding what I heard from DirecTV about the cost to send someone here to fix it. I think this URL pretty much says it all... http://glenhamilton.com/DIRECTV.htm

After 12 years being a customer at this location and 7 years at another location, DirecTV doesn't care anything about customer loyalty.  I called my cable company to see about costs and apparently it cost nothing to install equipment, nothing to come repair it if it fails, nothing for extra room receivers, and nothing to cancel if I want to stop the service and take back the equipment.  Looks like I will be switching soon.

So here I am wondering why I should pay $50 for a service call that is clearly to fix a problem with the equipment when it still is owned by DirecTV and most customers even have to pay an initial fee to get the equipment in the first place.  Doesn't sound right that customers should have to pay for equipment, pay installation, pay for service, and then still give it back at the end of service.  It is entirely opposite of what the cable company is doing, and the cost of the provided channel content is the same!

Message 1 of 55
Highlighted
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by (Former Employee)
Accepted by AB174P.DTV
‎10-31-2016 5:17 PM

Re: Why pay DirectTV to fix equipment owned by DirecTV?

The dish, coaxes, power inserter and splitters became yours after the install only the receivers are leased and need to be returned if you cancel your service. The $50 covers labor and all parts needed to repair your system.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 55
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by AB174P.DTV
‎10-31-2016 5:18 PM

In fact if it is the LNB that is faulty you own it not DirecTV.  Only the receivers are leased. None the less, $50 is the standard charge for a tech visit. The good news is that for the $50 they will replace everything that needs to be replaced.

Also if you have the protection plan, service calls are free.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 55
Scholar

(a)  Service Interruptions. Service may be interrupted from time to time for a variety of reasons. We are not responsible for any interruptions of Service that occur due to acts of God, power failure or any other cause beyond our reasonable control. However, because we value our customers, for an interruption of a significant length of time that is within our reasonable control, upon your request we will provide what we reasonably determine to be a fair and equitable adjustment to your account to make up for such Service interruption. THIS WILL BE YOUR SOLE REMEDY AND OUR SOLE DUTY IN SUCH CASES.

(b)  WARRANTY DISCLAIMER. EXCEPT AS PROVIDED HEREIN, WE MAKE NO WARRANTY REGARDING ANY SERVICE OR YOUR RECEIVING EQUIPMENT, WHICH IS PROVIDED AS IS.  ALL SUCH WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTIBILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, ARE EXPRESSLY EXCLUDED. YOU BEAR THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO THE QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE OF THE RECEIVING EQUIPMENT AND ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE ENTIRE COST OF ANY NECESSARY REPAIR.

(c)  Limitations of Liability. WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES RELATING TO THE RECEIVING EQUIPMENT OR ANY SERVICE, WHETHER BASED ON NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE. Some states or jurisdictions do not allow the exclusion or limitation of consequential damages, so the above limitation may not apply to you.

(d)  Warranty Services. You agree that this Agreement does not provide for, and the Service does not include, any warranty services or other services that we might provide separately, including, without limitation, any fee based or other programs.

That paperwork you sign when you sign up with DTV

Message 4 of 55
Expert
Solution
Accepted by AB174P.DTV
‎10-31-2016 5:16 PM

There are a few flaws in your "rant".

1. As it has been mentioned, the "receiving" equipment is yours and as such you bear the responsibility for any necessary repairs.

2. You pay NOTHING to have your service install as a new customer or moving customer if you qualify.

3. CableCos DO charge for extra receivers, in fact they charge more than DirecTV.

Message 5 of 55
Teacher

This is the wife as hubby has showed me these responses. I pay the bills !

First of all, thanks to the people who respond with good information.  We both craft this reply and it's likely our last one.  Secondly to be fair, we have generally been very pleased with DTV services. They have been reliable and offer a variety of content. 

We are dissatisfied with the fact that even after using DTV services long before our son was born (and he is in college now), DTV doesn't give any consideration to loyal customers.  On the other hand, when researching and alternative content provider this weekend with neighbors, they are overjoyed with TV service and aren't locked into long term contracts nor shell out cash to install, upgrade, fix or lease anything.  We know this as well since we called them last month to perform a retrofit in other bedrooms so we can expand internet in there.  Not a dime was charged to remove the older low quality cables and put in high speed cable.  As one user mentions about the cable being MY responsibility (which DTV installed years ago), the competitor doesn't split hairs about what is my problem and what is theirs.  They simply come out and fix it. Some of these facts are similar to past actions against DTV.

We don't think it should be our responsibility for the Dish LNB.  DTV installed it and it still has their name on it advertised to the neighborhood, not ours.  Thus, it wasn't clear to us that it becomes our responsibility once installed.  Unlike the cable company who sent us the agreement language in advance, DTV didn't show us anything until after the installation and then pointed to fine print on the back of the document with background color that was hard to read.   And then stood there tapping his foot to rush us through it.

One mentions above that only the receivers are leased and need to be returned.  I never understood from the husband and DTV that if they are leased then why did DTV want lots of money (more than it cost to manufacture the equipment) to upgrade to the Genie model.  For that price, it should be mine!  I am sure that many forum readers disagree. I'm just saying that the competition here doesn't do these things.  We will switch to the cable company who doesn't care how long we have been a customer and hasn't socked us with any money on service calls for phone service or internet.  We might as well give them all the business.

Lastly I note with laughter about the partial posting of the legal language above.  I got news for DTV.  I work for the District Attorney's office as a paralegal and we deal with problems like this all day.  It neither becomes fact nor absolute to state that "THIS WILL BE YOUR SOLE REMEDY... blah blah blah".   FACT IS, misinforming people of their rights is yet another legal issue that will get you in trouble.  I'd consider changing that statement if I were you.  Most California contacts explicitly state that the consumer may have other rights.   People have the right to apply in small claims court (or other remedies) and that is exactly what I will do next week.  Even if I don't win (our judge hates companies like this), it will certainly cost time and money to respond unless DTV wants to default and lose by not responding (it's usually what they do).

Again, thanks to the responders who do their best to inform people. You probably see by now that our gripe is DTV not being competitive by wanting to charge a long time customer for a service call to fix a dish, and not being clear up front about what is covered and what isn't covered until a system is installed and customers are locked into an agreement.  I think I smell another suit coming.  This is about principle.

Message 6 of 55
Teacher

duplicate removed due to server erro

Message 7 of 55
Teacher

Quote: Originally Posted by peds48_installs

There are a few flaws in your "rant".

1. As it has been mentioned, the "receiving" equipment is yours and as such you bear the responsibility for any necessary repairs.

2. You pay NOTHING to have your service install as a new customer or moving customer if you qualify.

3. CableCos DO charge for extra receivers, in fact they charge more than DirecTV.

I am re-editing this reply to make another remark.

Statement 1 is confusing and conflicting with other posts. You say the "equipmen is yours", yet you want it back after the expiration of the agreement or the contract. Also you agreement language says I am "Leasing" the equipment. That doesn't sound like it is mine!

I agree with statement 2 above. This was the case when we first got the equipment 12 years ago and may still be true today. I don't know.

Statement 3 is incorrect. With all due respect, you need to verify this information. Maybe some cable companies charge for extra receivers, but the company in this area does not. I already checked into it this morning. Also, my Mom does not pay extra for her 3 receivers.

Further, what is not mentioned above is that DTV charges a fee to upgrade equipment. I had an old failing piece of equipment and DTV said if I wanted to upgrade, it would cost $300 to get a Genie unless willing to lock into a 2 year agreement. So my point is that I confirmed our cable company does not charge this fees. You are misinforming.

Message 8 of 55
ACE - Expert

Receivers and DVRs are leased,what you pay up front is a lease fee. You can buy receivers but the cost is hundreds of dollars.

The dish, all cabling and ancillary equipment is yours.

DirecTv's service and support policy is very clear, whether you like it or not isn't the issue. If you have the protection plan, service calls are free, otherwise it's $50.

Failing equipment is replaced free of charge (you pay shipping if you don't have the protection plan)

Many cable companies charge per digital receiver. Some even charge you the DVR fee for every single DVR (mine does)

We see complaints in all the forums about existing customers not getting the same deal as new customers. That's just how it is. The analysis the companies do show it's much easier to keep customers than it is to attract new ones, and so new customers get all the best deals. It might be cynical but it's true.

Look at the cellphone companies if you want to see the "new customer deal"model in action.

All DirecTv upgrades lock you into a 2-year agreement (like the cellphone companies) .As far as the cost is concerned, many existing customers get the genie for much less than $300 (even free).  If I log into my DirecTV account, I currently have a free upgrade offer which will get me an additional receiver, DVR, the genie or a genie client.

If you have complaints about DirecTV's policies on these issues, e-mail or snail mail DirecTV. This is a tech support forum, we're not DirecTV  and we have no control over these policies.

Message 9 of 55
Scholar

This policy is similar to other leases. If you lease furniture or a car you pay the repair costs (unless you subscribe to their extra warranty or protection plan) very rarely do you lease anything and the company you are leasing from foots every repair bill. But who knows you can play the game call and threaten to leave and hope you get a free service call...but i do not recommend this because they could just cancel your services. ?.if you go somewhere else double check all the policies because repairs may be limited to a number per yearor it may be contingent on where the repair is. My internet which is also the cable provider will replace one modem per year if it is detetmined to be needed and will make any repairs at the junction box for free. If it is a cable in my house or associated withmy house the repair is at cost.
Message 10 of 55
ACE - Expert

It is the same with gas, power and telcos after it hits the meter/service point you pay to fix it.

Message 11 of 55
Expert

the service contract refers to the recievers as "receivers" and support hardware as "equipment".  so the receivers are free to replace and must be return because they beong to DirecTV and the "equipment" you pay for because it belongs to you.

But you more than welcoem to switch if you think your cable will give you better serivce.

Message 12 of 55
ACE - Expert

These sorts of posts always amaze me.   The simple fact is that DirecTV sets the terms and conditions for leasing and repairing the equipment.  If you don't like their terms, then look elsewhere. There are alternatives.  But don't expect to find anything much better with any other service providers.   

Message 13 of 55
Expert

They amaze me as well.   Apparently the original poster has been a customer for 20 years and has never once had to pay for a service call and now the dish needs service and they are objecting to a flat $50 service fee?  In any event, that's the program folks, take it or leave it, more or less.

Message 14 of 55
Scholar

Some upset customers don't read the Customer Agreement (including legal experts and paralegals in the DA's office). Some upset customers imagine things that don't exist and then expect them to materialize. Some upset customers make generalizations about an entire industry, without any real knowledge or experience. Some upset customers exaggerate their side of a situation to make a point. Some upset customers fail to realize their account history and credit-worthiness is usually what determines upgrade qualifications. Some upset customers create a paradox when they first presume high-tech equipment is worthless, so should be free..yet demand same equipment because it's so incredibly special. Some upset customers would rather rant online in a tech support forum that is not monitored by DirecTV corporate, rather than make another call to 800-531-5000 for assistance--which can often turn the whole situation around. Some upset customers attempt to intimidate via illegal threats in the name of an elected judicial official and the State of California in a documented forum, without first considering the legal and personal ramifications of their actions---especially after identifying themselves by name. Some upset customers have not noticed the Contact Us link on the home page >> http://directv.com/email.

-=K=-

Message 15 of 55
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support